+ Reply to Thread

Default Post Surgery Issue

I had a buddy who went to a very good HT doctor. Well after the procedure he was complaining about a dull pain in his neck kinda behind the ear, in the neck, and the shoulder. He complained of pain in his neck when say playing guitar and driving or sitting at his desk. There is a small knot there as well that you can feel.

I looked at it and the left side compared to the right and it looks as if the doctor nicked a muscle or a tendon. The only reason I say that is because you can see an indentation behind the thick muscle on the sides that is very visible when the head is straight. It looks like atrophy set in and it runs from the base of the head down into the trap about 4 inches. I figure the injured muscle is causing tension in the neck through the trap muscle and the down to the shoulder and that is causing the pain and discomfort.

There are so many overlapping muscles I don't know what to say except get an MRI. He said it feels a little weird and tight when he turns his head to the left, and loose when turning to the right. I looked at his before pictures and there is no sign of this atrophy before the surgery.

What should he do, and is this a case of malpractice?

Has he spoken to the Doc who performed the surgery as that would be a good starting point.

I agree with both of you, he said he was too confused on what to do...because he didn't want to accuse them of any wrong doing but also didn't think he would get answer that would address the need to know what was going on under the skin.

Thats why I suggested the MRI, at least if there was something wrong it would be revealed and he would have something on record with a profession in a timely manner. I said to do it ASAP. I suggested do that first and then speak with your HT doc.

This guy has a small head and a long neck so I don't know if that matters but based on the location of the scar, the doc could have surely been in the range of this location. Especially before being sutured back up. Doctor Konior if you are talking about the depth of the cut, then I see your point.

I don't know, I'm speaking from a visual perspective and nothing professional, so please understand that I have no background in surgery, but have had many sports related injuries to know when the body is injured and what that looks and feels like. I don't know exactly how this person feels, just what they told me.

Thanks for the replies!

You can also get a digital camera and take some multiple pics of the area and e-mail to some other reputable HT docs for an opinion. Or even go in and see your PCP for a quick look to see if any danage was done.

You can also e-mail your pics to me in complete privacy and confidence. Obviously I am not a doctor but I have seen literally thousands of patients and pics over the past 29 years so if it looks out of the ordinary, I would be sure to offer you my observations.

I have seen this type of thing before although very rare.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    You can also get a digital camera and take some multiple pics of the area and e-mail to some other reputable HT docs for an opinion. Or even go in and see your PCP for a quick look to see if any danage was done.

You can also e-mail your pics to me in complete privacy and confidence. Obviously I am not a doctor but I have seen literally thousands of patients and pics over the past 29 years so if it looks out of the ordinary, I would be sure to offer you my observations.

I have seen this type of thing before although very rare.
    Thanks G, I will try to send you a few pics if I can convince him to do so.

Hopefully he can get his situation improved so it's not obvious.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

He got a MRI today so I will keep you updated and if he agrees send you a picture I will send you one

If the MRI comes out fine he probably won't care too much and will be relieved.

If not he will probably wants to get as many opinions as possible from people here.

will wait and see, I think he sees his doctor late next week

I certainly wish him the best in getting this resolved.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

I talked to him the other day and he had the MRI and the Doctor didn't seem to find anything structural that would indicate anything serious, he may take the DVD to get another opinion but as of now I think it my be nerve related and that is just going to take time to heal on its own.

SO I think at this point he is in good shape based on the reading of the MRI, he said the pain is still there (comes and goes) and he is afraid to workout.