+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dr Hasson 1755 grafts to front and SMP into crown.

Well I did it again over 7 years on from my repair with Dr Hasson and 3 years on from my scar repair and hairline refinement I decided my scalp was loose enough to go for one last session!
    I had been working on my scalp exercises for several months before the surgery but on and off for a year or more now. My original idea had been to give a little extra density to the crown but with the number of grafts that were going to be available the logical decision to add density to the frontal area would have had the biggest impact.
    Due to the extend of my loss and despite having a decent number of grafts in the past I am still limited to how I style my hair as all Norwood 6 patients are. I have a very large area to cover and my crown is huge. Once the decision to SMP the crown and mid scalp was made it seemed to make sense to place the grafts into the frontal area to give me greater density here with a view to wearing my hair a little shorter.
    For those who don't know my case if that is possible lol!

I had 3 old style transplants in 1996/7 and 1998 for around 450 grafts each time, the first one at the age of 23, the result was 3 wide scars and a pluggy unnatural hairline which was initially covered by my native hair. I had very aggressive hair loss and progression to a Norwood 6 pattern, I was not taking any medication or using Rogaine partly because in the early stages neither were available in the UK and I was put off using Propecia by a hair Trichologist.
    After loosing nearly all of my native hair by 2002 aged 29 I had pretty much given up on ever looking normal and covering this unnatural hairline that people would double take. By accident in 2005 a pop up for hair transplants started my obsession again into researching what could be done. On the 1st of June 2006 I had a 4856 graft procedure with Dr Hasson, this procedure was going to be my last throw of the dice to get as much coverage as possible and hide that old pluggy hairline.
    The hairline was lowered a fraction and many grafts were placed into the frontal area to cover the old mini and micro grafts, the density was then reduced as we went into the mid scalp and the crown was given a light coverage. To maximize the number of grafts available it was agreed that a new scar should be taken. After one year there was quite a transformation both in my hair and personality and I enjoyed this new look for 4 years.
    In 2010 I had a scar revision with Dr Hasson to remove part of an old scar that had stretched, at the same time I guess around 300 grafts were gained and these were split into 623 singles to refine the hairline. Nearly everything you see on the top of my head is the result of hair transplants.
    I won't go into the full detail on here but have done that on my blog if you would like more detail. My latest surgery was on October 10th 2013.

My graft breakdown of the 1755 grafts of which 584 were single, 1048 were doubles and 123 were 3’s or 4 hair grafts.
    On day 10 post op I had SMP into my mid scalp directly behind where the new grafts were placed and through the mid scalp to the lower part of my crown. I also had SMP into my old donor scars.
    Here's how I looked before my latest surgery after around 6500-6700 grafts or thereabouts.

Post Op Day 3 - This photo diary is to hopefully help new patients with their research on the post op healing process.

Swelling in my forehead.

Day 4
    Swelling has moved from my forehead to the bridge of my nose.

The Density was higher on my left side which is why it looks a little more red.

Day 5 and time for a haircut to even things up. Swelling has more or less gone now.

Day 6 Looking Tired!!!

Day 7

Day 10 Before SMP into crown

Old Donor Scars from 1997 that is too low to revise before SMP

Day 12 Post Op After SMP

Day 15 Post op

Day 16 Close up SMP

SMP into old scar

Day 18

Day 23

Compare SMP before and after

1 Month

Great stuff - Good for you ! Look forward to watching the transformation.
    Grow well.
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

looks fantastic Garageland!!! That SMP really makes a difference.

Thanks very much Spex and Fear The Loss.

So here are the 2 month updates. I had a haircut a couple of weeks ago by the other half at the sides and back to even things out and have kept growing the top.

wow, looking good garageland! have you ever thought about going all out and doing some fue or maybe some beard hair?

FTL

Feartheloss- Thanks very much, I have considered seeing how beard hair might work in my old strip scars. I have also considered a revision of one of them in the future which would yield some grafts to place into my lower scar. As for the top I think I will be very happy once the new hairs grow in, I was happy before.

This latest surgery was a luxury in terms of I didn't need to have it, that may seem strange to say but when you are a repair patient sometimes you HAVE to get another transplant to make your look normal again. That was accomplished in 2006 and then the scar revision in 2010 enabled me to wear my hair shorter.

I could keep going I guess and try for more hair but as I have already now had around 8300-8500 grafts I think I am happy to call it a day there. But you never know!

Here we are at month 3. Feeling lots of stubble over the entire recipient area which is a good sign of early growth.

Thumbs up

Looking pretty awesome, mate.
    I'd be happy with those results, for sure. liking the beard, also (Y)

Thanks very much appreciate the comment.