+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    You might want to double-check with your doc about applying minoxidil so soon post-op. Many want their patients to wait at least two weeks or so.

But your doctor may feel differently and why I recommend that you follow his advice.

Possibly you are doing just that...
    Hi Gillenator,

Yep, my doc said to restart using minoxidil as soon as 3 days after which I've done. So far, so good I'll try to get pictures posed from today in the next 30 minutes

Well.... here are a few more pictures from today (Day 5). It actually looks a lot better than these pictures appear and I applied some moisturizer (hence the glossy look).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (1).jpg

Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	24425   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	24426   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg

Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24427   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg

Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	24428  

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    DAVE52,

Just wait until it all grows out!
    Yeah, but I always wonder , when it's done like that , what happens 5, 6, 7 years from now when there is further loss

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbuff View Post
    Something that might be of interest to others: The Artas Robot did both the extraction AND created the incision points for the transplants, while the transplants were placed in by hand.
    That's fascinating. I assume the surgeon sets parameters for slit size, angulation and density? Did they talk about this? Any more info you can share about this "next gen" robot?

Did the ARTAS remove the grafts from the donor area, or was that part still done by the techs?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Yeah, but I always wonder , when it's done like that , what happens 5, 6, 7 years from now when there is further loss
    Well that's a very good point Dave and why restoration planning needs to consider future loss as well as what is needed at the present time.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by baldymcgee View Post
    That's fascinating. I assume the surgeon sets parameters for slit size, angulation and density? Did they talk about this? Any more info you can share about this "next gen" robot?

Did the ARTAS remove the grafts from the donor area, or was that part still done by the techs?
    Yes, you are correct in your assumptions. They took a "ton" of pictures of my head to create a 3D model for the Artas robot. Before they shaved my head, we determined a new hairline, which was drawn on with a sharpie. Then my head was shaved and new photos were taken. From these photos, the 3D model was created. On the model (digital), the surgeon marked all incisions and the details for each, including angulation. I was told that if one of these incisions was marked where a follicle already existed, the robot would avoid that particular cut.

The ARTAS robot removed the grafts from the donor area as well. I'll upload pictures from today (6 days post op) shortly.

Yes, you are correct in your assumptions. They took a "ton" of pictures of my head to create a 3D model for the Artas robot. Before they shaved my head, we determined a new hairline, which was drawn on with a sharpie. Then my head was shaved and new photos were taken. From these photos, the 3D model was created. On the model (digital), the surgeon marked all incisions and the details for each, including angulation. I was told that if one of these incisions was marked where a follicle already existed, the robot would avoid that particular cut.

The ARTAS robot removed the grafts from the donor area as well. I'll upload pictures from today (6 days post op) shortly.
    That's incredible! Cost is one of the biggest concerns with FUE and it would be outstanding if this level of automation can drive that down!

Additional questions:

- With this new process, are there HT techs involved at all? (other than setting up the machine and keeping the patient comfortable?)

- What kind of recipient-area density can the system implant to?

Quote Originally Posted by baldymcgee View Post
    That's incredible! Cost is one of the biggest concerns with FUE and it would be outstanding if this level of automation can drive that down!

Additional questions:

- With this new process, are there HT techs involved at all? (other than setting up the machine and keeping the patient comfortable?)

- What kind of recipient-area density can the system implant to?
    From what I understand, this is still an experimental/ in-development process, so I can't speak to what will ultimately happen.. that being said, there were about 3-5 techs, the surgeon, and what I think was a member of the ARTAS development team in the room. I never got a complete count (I was pretty out of it), but it seemed like they were pretty busy.

I don't know the recipient area density that can be done.. but I presume that it can be close to, if not the same as if done by hand. The robot simply makes the cuts and the implants are still done by hand. I'll be posting pictures in a post in a few minutes (now 15 days post surgery).

Sorry for the delay!!

Here are photos from 15 days post... Happy to answer any questions.

A few observations over the last few days:
    -the transplanted hairs are shedding at a pretty good pace
    -the rest of my hair is growing back at a rate faster than I anticipated, for which I'm very happy
    -the back of my head (donor area) is still tender to the touch. It is improving every day, but this discomfort has lasted a lot longer than I anticipated
    -the redness in the recipient area has faded considerably, although seems like it might have increased in the past two days after I stopped moisturizing it with a rather heavy healing cream

(Note on the photos: the light was pretty harsh and it appears that I am nearly bald on top. While the hair is growing back very fine, there is more coverage than it appears)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg

Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24568   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (1).jpg

Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24569   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (2).jpg

Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	24570   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg

Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	24571  

From what I understand, this is still an experimental/ in-development process, so I can't speak to what will ultimately happen.. that being said, there were about 3-5 techs, the surgeon, and what I think was a member of the ARTAS development team in the room. I never got a complete count (I was pretty out of it), but it seemed like they were pretty busy.

I don't know the recipient area density that can be done.. but I presume that it can be close to, if not the same as if done by hand. The robot simply makes the cuts and the implants are still done by hand. I'll be posting pictures in a post in a few minutes (now 15 days post surgery).

Sorry for the delay!!
    Thanks for the great info!

Do you remember how the machine did the extractions? Was it suction like the Neograft system or mechanical extraction? Or some other mechanism?