My ARTAS 2000 FUE Experience (Pre-Post) - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default My ARTAS 2000 FUE Experience (Pre-Post)

I wasn't sure where the best place was to post this thread, but since I'm not yet a veteran, this seemed as good of a place as any.

As my previous post stated, I am now a week away from my ARTAS 2000 graft transplant and just took the before pictures below. (Which, to my surprise, looked a lot worse than I anticipated.. I guess I never had that view of my head before to see what it looked like.)

I take 2.5mg of finasteride daily and use rogaine foam once a day (in the mornings). I'll post updates on the day of the procedure and the days following. If anyone has questions before or after, post them here and I'll respond as soon as I can!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg

Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	24259   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG

Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	24260   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG

Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	24261  

Quick question: Any reason why you are taking 2.5 mg of finasteride per day? I assume you are cutting proscar into two pieces?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Ooh, that was an oversight. I am taking 2.5 mg every other day (cutting 5mg in half)

Gotcha, I do basically the same thing and finasteride has good retention (shelf life), so thanks for the clarification.

I still see guys get their finasteride online without the advice and direction of a licensed physician and sometimes they think more is better. Some guys take the entire 5mg daily. It will potentially cause more harm than good providing they do not have prostrate cancer.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your case and best wishes to you in your upcoming procedure!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Sooooo the big day came and went. On Friday I arrived at 8am to the clinic and met with the medical team. I signed all the paperwork and talked with the doctor about the procedure and what my new hairline would look like. I asked for a slight modification and was told that instead of 2000 grafts, we would only be able to do closer to 1200 at this point (I was a study patient so had to go along with what they offered).

Something that might be of interest to others: The Artas Robot did both the extraction AND created the incision points for the transplants, while the transplants were placed in by hand.

After shaving my head, I received an IV which knocked me out, then received the scalp injections and was moved to the robot room. I was pretty out of it during the robot extractions and didn't feel much at all. Before long it was lunch time and I took a break to eat.

After lunch I was moved back into the room and the robot team set up the machine to do the insertion cuts. This part was mildly painful, as the injections started to wear off.

Next came the implants themselves, which hurt a LOT, but mostly because I failed to tell them that the numbing medication had worn off. Once I spoke up, this was quickly rectified.

Here are pics immediately before, after and the next day. I showered lightly today (day 3) and am feeling about 85-90% normal.

Feel free to ask any questions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	24390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg

Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	24391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (5).jpg

Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	24392   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpg

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	24393   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg

Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	24394  

Why did the Dr leave a squared section on the top of your head where it looks like no hair was implanted ?

I had pretty decent density there already, but nothing on the sides. With a somewhat limited transplant, I was more focused on density rather than expansion. From what the Doctor told me, the robot finds transplant sites in between and around existing hairs so that might have been an additional reason for the transplanted sites being where they are. I'm going in for a follow-up review in a few weeks so will ask this and any other questions then.

DAVE52,

Just wait until it all grows out!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

I'm HOPING it'll look great once it is grown out.

Here is a quick update 5 days post-op:

No swelling of any kind migrated past the tape they placed on my forehead. I iced according to their instructions (at least 5x 20 mins a day) and kept my head mostly laid back. I applied Medihoney and Aquaphor both at different times and now nearly all the scabs are gone. The recipient area is red, but even that is not nearly as noticeable as it was yesterday. I showered for the first time somewhat normally today, although was still careful not to do more than light circular motions with my fingertips in the recipient area. I started applying rogaine foam on day 3 and everything seems to be moving along nicely. I'll post pictures later today and am happy to answer any questions you may have!

You might want to double-check with your doc about applying minoxidil so soon post-op. Many want their patients to wait at least two weeks or so.

But your doctor may feel differently and why I recommend that you follow his advice.

Possibly you are doing just that...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net