+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidyl with Finasteride

This is my first post, but I have read a good deal on this site (long time listener, first time caller).

I have been using Minoxidyl (Spectral DNC) for years. I apply it usually twice per day. I don't think I have had any hair regrowth, but I don't know if it has stopped any loss. I also use Revita shampoo every day.

I recently had a 1700 graft FUE surgery with Dr. DiStefano in Worcester in September. I also started using 1mg Finasteride 2 weeks before the procedure. I am now using 1.25mg Finasteride (quartering 5mg Proscar) daily. In my opinon I have had very good results from the Finasteride in the short time I have been on it. The transplanted hair is just starting to sprout now so I think I will be happy in the long run.

My question is; if I am using Finasteride and had the FUE surgery, is there any reason to keep using the Minoxidyl after my supply is all used up? If the finasteride is a much more potent DHT blocker (inhibitior), is there any reason to continue the Minoxidl treatment?

Its up to you. Minox isnt a DHT blocker. It just can thicken some hair. If it were me after your supply runs out just stick with the finasteride for a year and see how you do. Wouldnt hurt to add Nizoral shampoo to your regimen as some studies have shown its almost as effective as Minox in some cases and is much less of a hassle.

I'd keep up the minox. Some people get a synergetic effect from using minox and fin together.

Some docs insist on minox after a HT to help kickstart the new seedlings.

I'm just looking for a less lengthy daily process. Maybe I can use the Minox once a day?

Do the Docs recommend it after the seedlings start to grow?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrusso View Post
    I'm just looking for a less lengthy daily process. Maybe I can use the Minox once a day?

yes use the minox once a day man it is fine that way

Mine did, my results turned out fine.

i would recommend that you stay on minoxidil unless it is hurting your hair or having sides. Minox helps in few areas such as "Hypothetically, by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle. This may cause follicles in the telogen phase to shed, which are then replaced by thicker hairs in a new anagen phase. "

If finasteride is working for you early the chances are you will notice a greater difference in hair count after a year.

Optional advice:
    This is slightly off topic but start maintaining a healthy complete diet. This can also have minor to major impact on hair quality in term of texture and aesthetic . Also, start hitting the gym or exercise at home if you already don't do or so. With all that new hair, you might as well have a fitter body.