+ Reply to Thread

Default How many grafts do I need?

Hi Guys,

I am pretty much all geared up to go ahead with an FUE treatment and am now in the process of shortlisting doctors. I would also appreciate some advice on how many grafts do you guys think I may need to achieve my objective based on the attached pics. I know its hard to give an accurate judgement, simply based on pictures, but it would certainly allow me to do some budgeting. My aim is to pretty much cover get back a "normal head" of hair, i.e. to cover the hair loss in my crown, temples and the area between the crown and temples.

I would also like to know your opinion on my Norwood classification. I feel I am a 4, but would appreciate some feedback on this. I also wonder, if finax & minoxidil would be any good for me at this stage (I have used both of these at various stages in the last 4 years but irregularly). Minoxidil seems to give me breathing difficulties though.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by givememyhair View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am pretty much all geared up to go ahead with an FUE treatment and am now in the process of shortlisting doctors. I would also appreciate some advice on how many grafts do you guys think I may need to achieve my objective based on the attached pics. I know its hard to give an accurate judgement, simply based on pictures, but it would certainly allow me to do some budgeting. My aim is to pretty much cover get back a "normal head" of hair, i.e. to cover the hair loss in my crown, temples and the area between the crown and temples.

I would also like to know your opinion on my Norwood classification. I feel I am a 4, but would appreciate some feedback on this. I also wonder, if finax & minoxidil would be any good for me at this stage (I have used both of these at various stages in the last 4 years but irregularly). Minoxidil seems to give me breathing difficulties though.
    Please re-post your photos.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Hi,

Guys sorry about the missing pics. Pls see below

Please note further info below:

Family History: Father has perfectly thick hair even at 60+. Mother has fairly light hair. Maternal uncles did face hair loss but at a much later age than me. Maternal grandmather had hair loss very late as well, so I seem to be breaking all family records in terms of hair loss.

I started losing hair at around 20 and since then its been a gradual ongoing process.

Finasteride: I have taken finax on and off for the last 12 months with limited results.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Default Goals

@givememyhair

Hi. Posting a photo of your donor area would also be very helpful to assess your case. There are many reasons why you should commit to medical therapy preferably prior to any surgery. Whether to be on medical therapy for your hair loss is a very intimate decision. Whether you pursue surgical hair restoration is not as important as your decision to maintain what hair you still have. Not only do you want hair, you should also want to keep it too. There’s financial responsibility associated with hair transplant surgery, medical therapy, and other hair loss products. The nature of hair loss is progressive. You may find that there is a fine line between your ultimate goal and the downward spiraling of progressive hair loss.

Before you proceed with any treatment, you have to face the fact that you might be chasing this problem much further than you currently realize. When you consider you current situation, you should develop realistic expectations based on the possibility that you may have insufficient donor supply to treat all of your future hair loss. It can be very difficult to acknowledge this uncertainty. You may have approximately 6,000 donor follicular units available for hair transplantation. You should also realize that no surgery is scarless. You don’t want only to hear everything that you want to hear. This is not the reason why you want to enlist this ethical hair loss community in your pursuit of hair restoration. The most helpful information is the truth. We haven’t done you any favor if you haven’t been disclosed the necessary information to make an informed decision. Your situation requires that you prioritize your specific goals.

There is no specific amount of grafts that will make you happy unless the density that you are trying to achieve is reasonable. You should assume a conservative approach to minimize shock loss and conserve your donor resources for the future. Even with the greatest of care, you can experience some shock loss (temporary loss from trauma) of native hair as a result of the procedure. You still have a significant amount of native hair so you could still see a cosmetic effect if you first concentrate on the front. Your focus should be to only treat the front and keep the hairline at its current location. Worry about treating the back with non-surgical solutions for now. There are many kinds of products in addition to medical therapy that can be very effective in minimizing the appearance of your crown recession.

Free consultations in London with Dr. Patrick Mwamba - Sat., Feb. 15th, 2014

World Hair Transplant Center

Web: http://www.mywhtc.com
    Email: customer.care@mywhtc.com

Tel USA: 770 663-1290

Tel UK: 44 2033186228

Tel BE: 32 479753281

My opinions are not necessarily the opinions of Dr. Patrick Mwamba.