Thread: Technical Hairs

Threaded View

Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Default Technical Hairs

I just wanted to mention a technique that you don't see a lot about and which can be quite effective in certain situations. Patients I've used it in include a young man with hair loss from a brain tumor who could not have surgery; many many women who want to add density to their hair; young patients who have hairline thinning but are too early for a transplant; patients who have had a transplant and want immediate density while waiting for it to grow in; patients who have had a transplant who would like ultimate density without additional surgery, and others.

The procedure was developed in Europe and my associate (who was trained in Germany for this) and our hair techs were trained to perform this procedure. It's quite simple in that synthetic hairs are attached one by one to each existing hair. The are not glued and are not heavy so they do not stress the hair at all like some similar techniques. They look quite natural and there really is no downside except that they grow out every 3-5 months and have to be replaced to maintain the density.

There are some "me too" procedures which do not work quite as well and do stress the hair so you have to be a little careful that it's the same technique.

Just one more option for anyone who fits into the above mentioned groups to consider. As far as I'm concerned, the more options the better!