+ Reply to Thread

Default 24 yo N4, not sure what to do next

I started losing it at 22 in college, and right now I'm around a Norwood 4A.

Last year was extremely stressful for me (unemployed in new city, broke, 2 very close funerals) and I noticed it really accelerated the hair loss. Since then I've found a job, got set up in my own place and my company has been performing very well, and I haven't really noticed much of a loss over the past 3-6 months.

I'm at a point where its pretty much shave it all off, let it just develop into an N7 donut, or keep it as best I can, perhaps waiting for some miracle cure in the next 2-3 years. As a white skinny dude, I didn't get many positive remarks the only time I tried shaved it, so gym work and perhaps a tan would likely be required.

As a result of my company's performance lately, I'm at a point where I can afford to drop reasonable 5-figures on a permanent solution which I legitimately believe would act as a valuable career investment (I work in marketing).

Unfortunately the hair I have is very fine so a straight transplant probably isn't a reasonable option. Also, I'd rather just accept the N7 I'm heading for than to work to maintain an N4, so drugs that only maintain current hair growth aren't really something I want to consider.

Have any thoughts for someone in my situation? I'm thinking it's time to make some decisions.

I understand that you don't want to start using meds. I will give you a couple of reasons why you should consider them.

First, you could possibly get some regrowth. What if you are one of those great responders, and don't need a transplant? Unlikely but possible. Even if there isn't a dramatic change, you might get at least some coverage back needing less hair to be transplanted.

Second, you should really stabilize your hair loss before getting a transplant. You say you are currently at a NW4 heading to NW7. Your hair loss will continue after you get the transplant so if you don't stop or at least slow down your hair loss, you will need more transplants sooner rather than later. Another thing to consider is there is only a limited amount of donor hair available for transplantation. Transplanting to improve a NW4 will make more of a difference than transplanting to improve a NW7.

Quote Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
    I started losing it at 22 in college, and right now I'm around a Norwood 4A.

Last year was extremely stressful for me (unemployed in new city, broke, 2 very close funerals) and I noticed it really accelerated the hair loss. Since then I've found a job, got set up in my own place and my company has been performing very well, and I haven't really noticed much of a loss over the past 3-6 months.

I'm at a point where its pretty much shave it all off, let it just develop into an N7 donut, or keep it as best I can, perhaps waiting for some miracle cure in the next 2-3 years. As a white skinny dude, I didn't get many positive remarks the only time I tried shaved it, so gym work and perhaps a tan would likely be required.

As a result of my company's performance lately, I'm at a point where I can afford to drop reasonable 5-figures on a permanent solution which I legitimately believe would act as a valuable career investment (I work in marketing).

Unfortunately the hair I have is very fine so a straight transplant probably isn't a reasonable option. Also, I'd rather just accept the N7 I'm heading for than to work to maintain an N4, so drugs that only maintain current hair growth aren't really something I want to consider.

Have any thoughts for someone in my situation? I'm thinking it's time to make some decisions.
    The one positive is that if you truly are following the norwood 'A' variation it typically won't develop past a 5a (Unfortunately the early stages of A patterns make your hair loss appear worse than it actually is).

I personally was a Norwood 4a by the age of 21 and I'm still pretty much the same with no crown loss (Using no meds) at 28.