+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Local Antiandrogen Therapy for the Treatment of Male Pattern Baldness

Hi, new to the forum but long time reader

A couple months ago i run into a study about a safe topical antiandrogen being developed by Novan Therapeutics:

http://www.novantherapeutics.com/fil...en_therapy.pdf

The hamster flank organ test results were very similar to RU58831: 55% of growth inhibition. Pretty exciting stuff, I think.

They plan to finish phase II for acne in early 2014 testing the 3% concentration, which hopefully will work for MPB too, as it was the one exhibiting more powerful antiandrogenic activity during the study.

Really sucks the company prioritize the acne version. Hate that… Are these pharma startups afraid of bringing something effective for hair loss sufferers? Always the same pattern…

Anyway, plan to contact Novan soon and ask about the benefits of the acne formulation for hairloss.

On the bright side, gel vehicle may not be an issue since its currently beeing tested for MPB by taiwanese investigators:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01347957

We should pay attention to those results when released.

Saludos

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately local anti androgens won't regrow our hair, but only slow down the process for those who have hair.

It would be great to use it now with what we have left. But this will take time to come out and we'll all be nw7.

Next...

I think it has potential. Could be better than current antiandrogen therapy, which can regrow some hair, by the way.

Not much, thats true but using a topical antiandrogen with Fin/Dut (have been taking it with good results since 5-6 years) could do a lot in terms of prevention.

Maybe in a not so distant future people could use these in conjuction with CB and get even more decent results.

I'm a nw 2. something right now, obviously this kind of treatment wont do much if you are a norwood 7.

Yeah if your losing hair I am sad to say you better get on propecia right now because none of this future stuff is growing your hair back just helping you keep it.
    Acne is much larger market then MPB that is why they are all over that first. Lots of women and men have that so much larger market.
    In another 5 years with something like this, CB, existing treatments such as fin I think MPB will be preventable. You wont regrow all your hair but those treatments should stop MPB cold which is a big leap forward on its own

"Acne is much larger market then MPB that is why they are all over that first. Lots of women and men have that so much larger market."
    Yeah, might be a reason. But there is so much money to make on the mpb field...

In another 5 years with something like this, CB, existing treatments such as fin I think MPB will be preventable. You wont regrow all your hair but those treatments should stop MPB cold which is a big leap forward on its own.
    Totally agree with you on this. Having more than one viable option (oral antiandrogens) for prevention is a BIG thing. Also CB numbers with io were pretty decent in terms of regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma View Post
    Yeah, might be a reason. But there are so much money to make on the mpb field...

Totally agree with you on this. Having more than one viable option (oral antiandrogens) for prevention is a BIG thing. Also CB numbers with io were pretty decent in terms of regrowth.
    The CB numbers with iontophoresis weren't decent, they were flat out amazing. 50% increase is huge.

Even if the the numbers change a bit with other vehicle, locally applied side effects free antiandrogen therapy with things like Pilofocus, will really change our situation.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Acne is much larger market then MPB that is why they are all over that first. Lots of women and men have that so much larger market.
    I really doubt that. There are so many existing treatments for acne its disgusting.

How many treatments are there for hair loss?

A WHOPPING TWO!

Bring this up cuz it could reach the market before CB or Hygeia. As you may know, this last company is developing a drug that combines an antiandrogen with a side effects free topical estrogen. Without any doubts a very, very promising approach. I recall Cots highliting last year the hair regrowth potencial of estrogen. But safety has always been (and still is) a huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma View Post
    I think it has potential. Could be better than current antiandrogen therapy, which can regrow some hair, by the way.

Not much, thats true but using a topical antiandrogen with Fin/Dut (have been taking it with good results since 5-6 years) could do a lot in terms of prevention.

Maybe in a not so distant future people could use these in conjuction with CB and get even more decent results.

I'm a nw 2. something right now, obviously this kind of treatment wont do much if you are a norwood 7.
    Right,but you will be nw7+ when this comes out