+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16 and balding

Default 16 and balding

Hello,
    I've always had a fairly high up hairline and although my grandfather on my mothers side had lost basically all his hair by 16 the thought of loosing my hair had never really crossed my mind. When I was around 15 and a half I wore my hair long and it was pretty thick but I started to notice a fair amount of hair coming out but saw no visible difference so wasn't really bothered. Around 4 months before I turned 16 friends started to point out my hairline saying it was receding but after examining myself and asking my hairdresser I wasn't really convinced. However just after I turned 16 in august I've noticed big differences, hair on each temple has gone blonder and shorter and more and more skin is becoming visible as it receeds back. At the front it's much noticeably thinner and I'm really not sure how long what's left of it is going to last. I'm ginger and the fairness of my hair kind if hides the thinning slightly for now. Since im young and this is obviously fairly vicious male pattern baldness I haven't been too sure what to do as their is no proper fix. I've been using nioxin number 2 which was recommended by my hair dresser which helped for a while but now seems to have near to no effect. I know that I definitely can't be bothered with hair transplants or wigs or anything but just would much appreciate any tips on how to prolong having hair or to possible improve the thickness. I'd also like to know how bad should i let my hair get before I decide to attempt to buzz cut it or completely shave. I kind of want to try and hold on until uni which will be around a year and a half away just as there I won't be likely to be the only bald guy but yeah
    Any tips or any feedback is much appreciated
    Cheers

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi Angusm ! WELCOME your at the right place young bro! I feel the first thing for you to possibly do would be to ask your doctor about using Finasteride - under his care of course! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Angusm View Post
    Hello,
    I've always had a fairly high up hairline and although my grandfather on my mothers side had lost basically all his hair by 16 the thought of loosing my hair had never really crossed my mind. When I was around 15 and a half I wore my hair long and it was pretty thick but I started to notice a fair amount of hair coming out but saw no visible difference so wasn't really bothered. Around 4 months before I turned 16 friends started to point out my hairline saying it was receding but after examining myself and asking my hairdresser I wasn't really convinced. However just after I turned 16 in august I've noticed big differences, hair on each temple has gone blonder and shorter and more and more skin is becoming visible as it receeds back. At the front it's much noticeably thinner and I'm really not sure how long what's left of it is going to last. I'm ginger and the fairness of my hair kind if hides the thinning slightly for now. Since im young and this is obviously fairly vicious male pattern baldness I haven't been too sure what to do as their is no proper fix. I've been using nioxin number 2 which was recommended by my hair dresser which helped for a while but now seems to have near to no effect. I know that I definitely can't be bothered with hair transplants or wigs or anything but just would much appreciate any tips on how to prolong having hair or to possible improve the thickness. I'd also like to know how bad should i let my hair get before I decide to attempt to buzz cut it or completely shave. I kind of want to try and hold on until uni which will be around a year and a half away just as there I won't be likely to be the only bald guy but yeah
    Cheers
    Hey man, I think my hair started to recede around that age as well but only picked up three years ago (just after I turned 18). It is important for you to tackle this issue so I'd go see an endocrinologist first and have some proper bloods taken and analysis completed before hopping onto fin.

Beyond that, in a few years there will be a series of treatments and products coming out which will help support those people with mild to moderate hair loss who want to regain a good amount of hair. Therefore it is important that you don't throw in the towel.

Hair loss is never something a young male should experience.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angusm View Post
    Hello,
    Cheers
    Some men have been able to delay the progression of hair loss by taking Propecia and the more powerful medication, Avodart. Rogaine 5% foam helps a little in the crown area.

Sharon A. Keene has published quite a few identical twin studies that indicate basically, what is good for hair and what's not. Coffee is good for your hair and Vitamin D3 is viewed by some researchers as playing an important future role in follicle regeneration treatments. According to Dr. Keene, the worst things affecting hair growth are sunburn, tobacco smoking, stress and alcoholism.

If you can live with hair loss, I recommend you keep your hair very short. if you are headed for the higher Norwood categories, you can get some relief in the front by framing you face with transplanted hair. You just have to make sure you go to a doctor who knows how to create a natural looking result.

We have a patient in today at Dr. Cole's office who has been coming to us since 2004 for small FUE sessions. He told me this morning there is a great deal of baldness on his mother and father's side. At 40, I doubt he inherited severe hair loss. He has only minor thinning. He briefly mentioned his hair care regimen. When I get a chance later today, I'll ask him for some specifics. It doesn't hurt to try different, safe treatments. I was hoping he would be photo release, but he doesn't want his pictures posted. His hair looks excellent for a man at 40 with severe hair loss in his family.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thumbs up

Great suggestions 35YrsAfter !
    We all have to look out for our very young members here !
    We dont want anyone to be mislead or for them to act impulsively on presumption. Medical history and facts are the only way for one to diligently research their options.
    Huawei Thanks too.

Angusm , you will be OK just dont panic. We will all be here for you.

You do all realize he's 16, right?
    You're telling a 16 year old to get on to finasteride?

OP, research fin first, it has the potential for sexual side effects. And wait till you're at least 18, please. It seriously alters your hormones.

Clandestine please reread,
    " I feel the first thing for you to possibly do would be to ask your doctor about using Finasteride - under his care of course"

No one is telling Angusm to do anything.
    He came here for advice and of course his doctor would be the actual one who could advise him correctly.

Artista; true, and I'm in agreeance.

Semantics aside though, the general tone if this thread implies the 16 year old should take finasteride.

I agree with some of what 35years posted in regards to a shorter hair style. If you still have long hair try googling hair styles for a receding hairline or something similar. Often times the way the hair lays on the scalp can make all the difference and in fact give the illusion of having more hair.