+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Hmmm I was googling and found this 2010 paper where researchers already created DP cells from umblical cord: http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/15371579/file.html

Sometimes I'm a bit confused ... Like, if we're able to make both epithelial cells and MSC/DP cells from umblical cord and if Tsuji lab can combine those to create grafts ... then what's the problem ? Desmond ? Anybody ?
    call me cynical but if these researchers rush these things to get approval then they risk having their research dismissed and end up losing funding or their job. As long as they are researching something they are getting funding, have a long term career etc.

So many promising treatments dont make it to market; this has recently been in the news because the research isn't made publicly available or for other researchers.

Hmmm I was googling and found this 2010 paper where researchers already created DP cells from umblical cord: http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/15371579/file.html

Sometimes I'm a bit confused ... Like, if we're able to make both epithelial cells and MSC/DP cells from umblical cord and if Tsuji lab can combine those to create grafts ... then what's the problem ? Desmond ? Anybody ?
    The problem is that nobody wants to give balding men an equal playing field. You think those privileged to have hair would want others to take away from the privileged positional good? Essentially, if people WITH hair can only feel superior because others are bald, why would they want others to have hair? They NEED us baldies to know theyre better off.

Society is full of scumbags. There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    The problem is that nobody wants to give balding men an equal playing field. You think those privileged to have hair would want others to take away from the privileged positional good? Essentially, if people WITH hair can only feel superior because others are bald, why would they want others to have hair? They NEED us baldies to know theyre better off.

There's definitely some truth to everything you just pointed out.

I think many rich and powerful people are bitter and enjoy playing with our lives - just look at Rupert Murdoch; 80 odd years old, divorced again. He's going to be pretty p####d off so certainly wont feel like he owes us anything.

Yea I dunno about that. I think the potential of making billions of dollars would probably outweigh any feelings of inferiority..

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    Yea I dunno about that. I think the potential of making billions of dollars would probably outweigh any feelings of inferiority..
    So then where's the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    Agreed. I don't buy into those theories that they don't care. There's so much money to be made. Unfortunately creating hair has been way more difficult than people figured 15 years ago. But good progress has been made recently. Jahoda succeeded at expanding DP cells and growing follicles, Tsuji labs created follicles out of epelithial and mesenchymal cells, in Tokyo the first clinical trial with iPS cells has started recruiting and next year these researchers in Spain are going to start with that trial of artificial skin. We're getting really close. Of course it will still take several years because of the whole trial process but we're closer than ever now.

Agreed. I don't buy into those theories that they don't care. There's so much money to be made. Unfortunately creating hair has been way more difficult than people figured 15 years ago. But good progress has been made recently. Jahoda succeeded at expanding DP cells and growing follicles, Tsuji labs created follicles out of epelithial and mesenchymal cells, in Tokyo the first clinical trial with iPS cells has started recruiting and next year these researchers in Spain are going to start with that trial of artificial skin. We're getting really close. Of course it will still take several years because of the whole trial process but we're closer than ever now.
    Of course we're closer than ever... we're 15 years into the future. What'd you think would happen, some magical time machine would take everyone back to 1960 or something?

Solution should have been made possible years ago. I'm not going to accept the stagnant progress from all these biotechs. This is ridiculous.

So then where's the solution?
    So where's the cure then? Haha. So you're saying the only reason we don't have a cure is because there's a conspiracy to keep bald guys down.

That's quite the conclusion.

We don't have a cure because we don't have a cure, not because there's a bunch of hairy headed guys somewhere keeping it a secret.

Of course we're closer than ever... we're 15 years into the future. What'd you think would happen, some magical time machine would take everyone back to 1960 or something?

Solution should have been made possible years ago. I'm not going to accept the stagnant progress from all these biotechs. This is ridiculous.
    So you admit progress is being made (otherwise we wouldnt be closer). That's my whole point. It's not that a scientist can sit down one day and know how to clone hair the next day (unless their name is Dr Nigam, LOL). It's a lengthy process in which they need to figure out every detail. It's only a few years ago that iPS cells were even invented and now a clinical trial has started ! It's only since a few years people are now walking around with stem cell created organs (a trachea). It's only as of this year that they've succeeded at creating human follicles in the lab. It's coming. But you seem to not acknowledge how difficult it is. It's not that nobody wants it, it's that it's very complicated and a lot of fundamental knowledge is needed. But the multi billion dollar incentive is surely there.