+ Reply to Thread

Default Three Days Later...

I had FUE three days ago and like many others, starting to panic a bit. I have good coverage on top and did the procedure as a pre-emptive to keep from my hair getting thinner and thinner in years to come. My doc told me that I do not have typical male pattern baldness, so I wanted to get a jump on things before it became obvious. I'm having second thoughts, of course. There are hundreds of small scabs all over my crown/front and I was told by my doc that I could probably use my existing hair to cover up the scabs, but it's glaringly obvious. They recommended Toppik, which I've ordered on-line, but can't find it locally (I live in the DC area). I've seen on these posts that the scabs usually come off in week to 10 days, but would this miracle Topik product help to hide these scabs? I trusted the doc and his office that I could go back to work about 3-4 days, but that doesn't seem like an option. In addition, I'm getting some pretty decent swelling around my forehead and the bridge of my nose, despite sleeping in a recliner and taking prednizone and tetracycline daily since the surgery. I guess I'm having some buyers remorse--feeling like I've done everything right, but look terrible...any words of wisdom?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

What you are experiencing is quite common. Toppik can help to camouflage if used properly. The swelling should start to decrease in the next day or two. Some patients are more prone to swelling than others no matter what preventative measures are taken. You may want to consider asking your employer if you can wear a hat for a few day because you had something removed from your scalp and the doctor told you to keep it covered for 1 week. Hang in there and try to remain positive that in the long run you will be happy.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Great advice, Doctor Charles. I also had some facial swelling, for a few hours, and of course I had scabs which finally fell out at about 8 to 10 days. My doctor recommended Neosporin to help accelerate the falling out of the scabs. What I did was smear it on my grafted areas about 1 hour before showering. Then, in the shower, I gently rubbed the grafted areas with soap and my fingertips, which helped remove the scabs. Also, I told my employer the exact same thing about why I am wearing a hat to work. They're cool with it. I imagine most employers would be cool with it, if the reasons are medical.

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question I forgot to post has to do with follow up. He advised me to come back in 4-6 weeks to do a second procedure to make everything look natural, but I haven't seen any other posts that recommend another round so soon. Is that common? If my timing is right, I'll still be in the initial shedding period from this first treatment, right?

I'm trying to stay positive, have a supportive wife, and hoping for the long term results, but this is tougher mentally than I had imagined!

Wow, I have never heard of a 2nd HT that soon after a first HT. But I am not a doctor. I had strip surgery, not FUE, and my doctor said to give my first HT at least one year before considering a 2nd HT. But maybe things are different with FUE.

But in my opinion, you should wait to see the results of the first HT entirely --- which takes about a year. And then and only then consider a 2nd HT.

Again, I'm not a doctor. But hope this helps.

Update--6 days later. Topikk did work well, with some help from the wife, and I wore my glasses to work (which nobody had ever seen wear before). That threw people off well enough to not even notice anything with my hair.

BUT, I still have the question about the timing of round 2. The doc suggested 4-6 weeks (not months), after round 1 (Sept. 10). Can this be right? It seems to contradict what others on the forum have said. Should I be skeptical?

Thanks again--

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_loser View Post
    Update--6 days later. Topikk did work well, with some help from the wife, and I wore my glasses to work (which nobody had ever seen wear before). That threw people off well enough to not even notice anything with my hair.

BUT, I still have the question about the timing of round 2. The doc suggested 4-6 weeks (not months), after round 1 (Sept. 10). Can this be right? It seems to contradict what others on the forum have said. Should I be skeptical?

Thanks again--

lucky loser,

By now, the momentary swelling should have subsided by now. Patients react differently to many things including the post-op trauma that can occur. It usually shows up three days following surgery and then lingers for another three days or so.

If the session is large, many docs will prescribe a steroid for post-op use with a wean down period. They may also recommend the use of crushed ice but just be careful not to put the bag directly against the grafts. Ten minutes on, ten minutes off.

Listen to me carefully about your follow-up session. IMHO, 4-6 weeks is definitely too soon for a follow-up session "IF" new grafts are being placed within the same recipient area. Transection can occur especially when the grafts from the first procedure have not regrown yet.

I highly doubt that your doc is suggesting this. He is probably referring to doing more FUE in a different area of your scalp.

Obviously you want to clarify this up front.

Best wishes to you man!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

lucky loser,

I forgot to tell you that yes I also live in the DC area, specifically Northern Virginia and you are free to stop by my office.

I never charge patients for any of my help. I just took some sutures out for a guy who lives in Rockville, MD. His HT doctor is in Florida so he swung by here on a Saturday morning.

Send me an e-mail for my phone number if you like. I'll put some coffee on!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin