+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just started Propecia few weeks ago & kinda wish I started sooner!

This is a quick post to find out if any other people have had negative experiences trying to get fin proscribed by their doctor?

From my personal experience of chatting to my GP, It felt like he wasn't taking me seriously on my wish to keep my haire. He seemed very dismissive and lacked empathy when I asked about getting a prescription for finastide to treat MPB, claiming that it comes with side effects and is expensive quoting that it costs about £70 a month for a prescription.

Would I be correct to assume that most NHS GP's have little or no training or knowledge of drugs like propecia??

I ended up going to Boots Chemist and getting a prescription from them. It costs about £30 a month if you buy the drug quarterly, which although still more expensive than generic drugs is still cheaper than most GP's (£70).

When I visited my GP surgery last week I mentioned that I had started taking Propecia a few weeks ago (different doctor) and his response was even more dismissive and negative than my regular GP. His claim is that there is nothing that can be done to stop or even slow down MPB and that no treatments work.
    (This guy was about norwood 3-4 so perhaps he was talking from his personal experience? I'm assuming that these GP's are basing their opinions on old outdated facts, and they arn't really interested in dealing with 'cosmetic' problems anyway?).

I find it very strange that both these doctors believe that propecia and other hair treatments dont't work when the evidence on the web, medical books and in forums showing it works for the vast majority of users is overwhelming.

In any case based on my personal experience with my doctors surgery I am of the opinion that probably most UK doctors have little or no knowledge of treating MPB, and will have even less empathy for you and just tell you to get over it instead of trying to treat the problem.

I may not be a famous celebrity or rockstar but As a semi-pro working musician in a rock band, and teaching teenagers to shred image is crucial to success. Sure, Some guys look cool with the Bruce Willis skin head, but probably most guys don't, plus my elbow length hiar has become a visual trademark on stage so in my situation it would be stupid to do nothing about it.

I have done much research into finastide for the last 3 -4 years and have been scared of taking it due to all the horror stories on the web, however I decided to just go for it about a month ago, and I am happy to report no noticeable side effects. Im kind of wishing that I started using fin earlier now.

In the 4+ years that I took Saw Palmetto I noticed a very slight drop in libedo, but the most noticeable side effect from SP was frequent diarrhea, which has mostly gone since switching to fin. I'm crossing my fingers that I remain in the 98% of guys that experience zero problems with this drug. For me taking fin is a bit like taking the Saw palmetto but without the tummy problems (and hopefully it also works better at maintainning my hair at norwood 2 )

I am on a very tight budget, so paying £30+ a month for a drug that will 80 - 90% keep what hair I have and probably even thicken it a little is an expense I must take on. However I am looking into legitimate generic alternatives to the Boots propecia treatment. If anyone can confirm the legitimacy of any generic suplliers that would be really helpful.

P.s.
    I looked at a UK site that someone on this site recommends (finastide.info i think??) but feel slightly wary using it.
    Call me paranoid, but because there is no address linked to this site, no way of tracing the supplier and they ask you to part with about £130 bank transfer upfront for 6 months supply of proscar. AS there is no record of anything being purchased hypothetically they could run off with that money, or supply you fake drugs and not have to be held accountable as there is no actual proof of any transaction.

My doc was just as much of an a-hole. I asked my doctor about 12 years ago what I could do about my hair loss. He told me there wasn't anything that I could do and that many men lose their hair. He started pointing out his own hair loss. I was in my mid twenties at the time, he was in his 50's! I went to my Dr.(different guy than before) earlier this year and asked his if their was anything that I could do for my hair loss and he pointed to the hat that I was wearing. Meaning there wasn't anything that I could do but cover it up. I asked about propecia and like your Dr. mentioned the high cost. It took a bit of pushing to get him to write a script, but he did. I don't think most family doctors know shit about treating hair loss.

I started taking propecia a little less then 5 months ago. I could only imagine what results I would have had if I started sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    My doc was just as much of an a-hole. I asked my doctor about 12 years ago what I could do about my hair loss. He told me there wasn't anything that I could do and that many men lose their hair. He started pointing out his own hair loss. I was in my mid twenties at the time, he was in his 50's! I went to my Dr.(different guy than before) earlier this year and asked his if their was anything that I could do for my hair loss and he pointed to the hat that I was wearing. Meaning there wasn't anything that I could do but cover it up. I asked about propecia and like your Dr. mentioned the high cost. It took a bit of pushing to get him to write a script, but he did. I don't think most family doctors know shit about treating hair loss.

I started taking propecia a little less then 5 months ago. I could only imagine what results I would have had if I started sooner.
    painful story, just same as mine

Yes, that is why I think it is a good investment for men to go to a real IAHRS respected hair tranplant doctor for treatment of MPB.

Most GPs know jack, they went to med school decades ago and they don't know the latest scientific developents on a lot of things. Moreover, they don't know much about cosmetic issues like MPB. This goes for dermatologists too, who should know more about MPB but focus more directly on skin issues.

I pay relatively big bucks to see my guy in NYC. About $200 for just a short biannual consultation. But I feel comfortable talking with the man, I don't feel ashamed or embarassed, and I know the man knows what he is talking about. The advice and treatment he recommends is good and is worth more than the advice than a thousand GPs and more than 10,000 silly posts on the internet by random hysterical people who can't even spell right.

Pay the big bucks to consult with a skilled and respected hair tranplant doc. He most likely can give you a prescription for 5mg generic finasteride if you want if you want to avoid the high cost of branded propecia. 90 generic finasteride pills cost about $20-$30 in the United States. Cut into quarters, this is a year's worth of finasteride for $20-$30. The cost of finasteride should no longer be an issue for most.

I would rather pay big bucks for the doc and save money on the drug than the other way around.

Most GPs just don't know what they are talking about in this area.

They bunch goons doctors, I'm in the uk had same problem I buy from pharmacy direct GB I prefer the legit stuff. They charge me 20 pounds online prescription everytime I order and I buy a load last me a year, but I take it every other day so saves costs etc. GP are only interested in drugs that get them more commission I bet if you had a cough the bastard doctor would want to get you on astma meds, my partner works in the medical field, nowdays I see Doctors as sales people rather then helping doctors.

macster is right. Aggravation and time can be saved by seeing somebody that knows what they are talking about. At the end of the day, although I am pissed at my docs, I don't totally blame them. I should have done the research and been more proactive fighting my hair loss.

BUUUUTTTTTT, why can't a Dr. just say: "I don't know, let me refer you to a Dr. that does"

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
    They bunch goons doctors, I'm in the uk had same problem I buy from pharmacy direct GB I prefer the legit stuff. They charge me 20 pounds online prescription everytime I order and I buy a load last me a year, but I take it every other day so saves costs etc. GP are only interested in drugs that get them more commission I bet if you had a cough the bastard doctor would want to get you on astma meds, my partner works in the medical field, nowdays I see Doctors as sales people rather then helping doctors.

Interesting! I'm still amazed to learn that many other people have the same experience with their doctors knowing nothing about legitimate treatments for MPB.

Thanks for for sharing pharmacydirectgb supplier with me Jazz1. I checked their site out, however boots chemist still work out cheapest of all the suppliers i've checked out for UK at £90 for a 3 month supply (without any additional 'prescription charge' or fee's on top).

Honestly the best medical person to go to for hair loss is a dermatologist. I went to a dermatologist and he knew exactly what I was going though and sympathized with me. He told me the available treatments, what I was on the NW scale, and answered any questions I had. Gave me a prescription to fin no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by nynex View Post
    Honestly the best medical person to go to for hair loss is a dermatologist. I went to a dermatologist and he knew exactly what I was going though and sympathized with me. He told me the available treatments, what I was on the NW scale, and answered any questions I had. Gave me a prescription to fin no questions asked.
    Wish I would have found the guy you went to. I have heard guys on here say that some dermatologists don't know much about hair loss. So I guess it depends on who you go to. I would imagine that some may specialize in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Wish I would have found the guy you went to. I have heard guys on here say that some dermatologists don't know much about hair loss. So I guess it depends on who you go to. I would imagine that some may specialize in it.
    I went to a derm at a major research University and they were beyond knowledgeable. Prior to that, I saw a GP at a clinic kinda in the hood and he wasn't even remotely helpful. Prescribed me keto as if that was going to somehow save my hair.

It's bullshit that every physician wouldn't know the Big 3. Hair loss affects so many people and treatment is so simple that lay individuals can basically learn about everything available with a couple hours of internet research.