+ Reply to Thread

Default Regaine - am I using too much?

This may sound a silly question. I am trying to find the Norwood Scale that I fit into, and I don't exactly fit into any. Based on the image below, I would say I am a "VI", although I did not have any hair at the front at all, and extremely thinning hair at the back, so between "VI" and "6" if that exists. This was before FUE.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I had FUE done about a year ago, and to help give it a boost, I started using Rogaine, which I believe is helping a little bit. Very hard to measure success on these things like this. On the Regaine pamphlets it says to use 1ml twice a days, or 5 squirts.

This is a paste from their paperwork:

"Apply 1ml of the solution twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening about 30 minutes before going to bed. Massage the solution into the affected areas of scalp gently. You must leave about 12 hours between applications."

However, because I am applying Regaine to a large area, I end of needing 7 or 8 squirts. Is this a big issue? I sense from the Regaine pamphlet that they advise against using more than 1mg or 5 squirts. Am I making a big mistake or am I worrying over nothing?

By the way, I am using Regaine Extra Strength.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please?

Hi, I don't fit on the norwood scale either.
    I guess the scale is just a rough guide for some of us.

I'd recommend sticking exactly to the recommended dose written on the instructions.

This is the therapeutic range limit they found through trials.
    Anything more and you may not get more hair, but you may be more likely to get sides. So there might be more risk.

Although everyones metabolism and response is different, you might get away with a little bit more.

I did try varying the dose before, but it would take months to compare and contrast the effects of different dosages and would be very hard to know the difference.

I also wondered about the possibility that some of the minoxidil dose gets lost in longer hair?
    I wonder if the manufacturers factored that in?

Here is my tip though: use disposable gloves.

When using your hands some will inevitably get absorbed through the skin on your fingers.
    I'm not talking about hairy fingers, that's not going to happen! lol
    I'm just saying you don't want to lose any of that 1ml wasted melting into your fingers. You want it all on your head.

Also I've found the gloves help to stop the foam melting so fast, enabling me to get it covering a larger area before it all melts.
    This is because it helps block the heat from your fingers a little bit. (heat causes the foam to melt)

Hope that helps

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer. It helps a bit. I will play it safe and stick with recommended amount of 5 squirts for me. I used the liquid type. I have never used the foam. So I don't know if it any better or worse. I have short hair at the moment as I am waiting for it to grow, so the liquid makes sense for now. I am also topping it off with Propecia. Just to give my self the best chance possible.

It's funny how addictive you can get into this hair stuff. I promised myself I will not get engrossed in it. Now, a year down the line, I have all the hair growth products and I am following it religiously....a bad sign

Anyway, I use Regaine twice a day, I assume that's what most guys do right? I am still quite new to this hair treatment world.

Thanks again.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingaboutit View Post
    However, because I am applying Regaine to a large area, I end of needing 7 or 8 squirts. Is this a big issue? I sense from the Regaine pamphlet that they advise against using more than 1mg or 5 squirts. Am I making a big mistake or am I worrying over nothing?

By the way, I am using Regaine Extra Strength.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please?
    I agree with some of the comments here. It's best to follow the label and not exceed the recommended amount you apply. I use Rogaine foam and find that for me, scalp massage in the morning and exercise helps promote better hair growth.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck