+ Reply to Thread

Default Post-Op Maintenance: Is all this necessary?

Hey all,

I'm having my HT procedure in a week, and the doctor's office sent me a little pre-op and post-op info pack in the mail. In the post-op info pack, the doctor doing my procedure (yes, he is an IAHRS doctor) recommends the following post-op maintenance program for 6 months:

--Remaxx shampoo, poly nutrient or moisture maintenance (4 bottles)
    --Remaxx reconstructive moisturizer (2 bottles)
    --Remaxx vitamins, 90 day supply
    --Remaxx replenisher (2 bottles)
    --Remaxx activator (1 bottle)
    --Remaxx sculpting spray (1 bottle)
    --Low Level Laser Therapy
    --Finasteride

This program would add $1,700 to my procedure.

Is all this really necessary? Has anybody else gone to these measures?

I am already doing the laser therapy with my handheld HairMax laser comb, and I am taking finasteride, so that would cut out some cost of the additional $1,700.

Many thanks,
    Harry

Good luck with your HT. Which IAHRS doc is doing it, and how many grafts? Just curious.

Anyway I just had my HT exactly 2 weeks ago from an IAHRS doc also (Doctor Alexander). I didn't have any post-op regimen such as yours, other than finasteride. For about 1 week following the surgery, you have to be very gentle in the shower, but I was allowed to use my regular shampoo.

I would always recommend following the advice of your doctor, so, this is juat an FYI.

TeeJay

Thanks, TeeJay.

Dr. Mark Baxa in Charlotte, NC, is doing the procedure. I'm getting 900 grafts in the hairline.

Did you have any significant pain following your procedure? How did your procedure affect your daily routine, if at all? After two weeks, are you now basically "back to normal?"

Thanks again.

I am appr. 1 1/2 mo. out from mine. I didn't have to do any of that, although finasteride was recommended. I had some very easy-to-follow directions on how to wash my hair and avoiding strenuous excercise for a while, but nothing that would add a financial burden. But I assume each doctor is different.
    By two weeks things were pretty much back to normal. I still have a very small amount of numbness, but it really is negligible. My biggest problem initially was...ME! I was paranoid about everything. I think because I have never done anything like this before, and because I'm probably a bit mental. (that's suppose to be funny) You can check out my thread "Day Two..." and see some pics that will let you know what you can probably expect.
    Good luck!

I do not think that it’s necessary, I think it’s probably just suggested. The doctor might think that the products are just good compliments for overall scalp health, but I am sure he would say that using these products will have no effect on the outcome of your hair transplant. I would skip it , it seems expensive. I took a look at Dr. Baxa’s pictures on the site and I think he does very good work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Once I have my procedure, I'll post some updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Thanks, TeeJay.

Dr. Mark Baxa in Charlotte, NC, is doing the procedure. I'm getting 900 grafts in the hairline.

Did you have any significant pain following your procedure? How did your procedure affect your daily routine, if at all? After two weeks, are you now basically "back to normal?"

Thanks again.
    Hey Harry,

Best of luck with your procedure man! You're in good hands with Doctor Baxa -- his work looks awesome. To answer your questions (sorry it took me a while), I did have some discomfort in my donor region following my procedure, for about 2 days. I controlled it with Vicoden (not sure if I spelled that right), which killed the pain. Also, I took an entire week off work, and just kept to myself while I healed and while I was in no way presentable to the world (without a hat, anyway). After 1 week, I got my stitches out, and things very quickly went back to normal. Now at 2 weeks, I can do anything I want according to my doctor, including exercise, running a hair brush thru my grafted areas, using hair products, etc. I do still wear a hat, but only because my doctor preferred to shave my native hairs in the areas of the scalp that he he transplanted. So, right now my hair is at different lengths in different areas of my scalp. That's the only reason I wear a hat --- and I'll continue to do so until some of the shaved areas grow back. Had he not shaved my head, I'd be 100% back to normal.

Anyway man, good luck, keep us posted--

TeeJay

Default Harry West Question concerning Post-Op Kit

The Post Operative 'Kit' is NOT a requirement .... But we have had so MANY patients over the many years that have wanted a 'treatment' program to do after their Hair Restaoration Surgery.

Therefore, I/we put together a Post-Operative 'kit' that would provide the optimal things needed for insuring the best result!!!

It is NOT a requirement .... But instead a courtesy to our patients ... If they wish to participate in a post operative treatment protocol.

I hoe this answers your question.

If you have any other issues or questions, please feel free to contact me at my office.

Best Regards,

Mark D. Baxa, M.D.

FYI - Some Physician REQUIRE that ALL their patient MUST purchase a Post Operative program in conjunction with their scheduled Transplant .... Some even require an expensive HyperBaric Oxygen Treatment program ... and Require all of the following of their patients.

I prefer to keep things as an option!!

MDB

Hey Harry,

Best wishes to you with your procedure. Many patients simply employ the use of a post-op topical saline spray that can help facilitate the healing process.

Be sure to follow your doctor's post-op instructions.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin