+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^This.

While I don't doubt the cures for MPB and many diseases are complex, I do feel there is an element of 'politicians staying in power' when it comes to some of these researchers and their funding to keep a job.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    What pisses me off (and has pissed me off ever since I've been posting on this forum) is that these scientists will spend their entire careers tinkering around with these mouse discoveries, and not do a damn thing to benefit humans.
    Do you not understand the ethical, regulatory, and cost associated with human trials? There's a reason most things are tested on lower vertebrates.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Do you not understand the ethical, regulatory, and cost associated with human trials? There's a reason most things are tested on lower vertebrates.
    Sure... but... with all the findings theyve been able to make on mice, theyve done jack shit on humans.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Sure... but... with all the findings theyve been able to make on mice, theyve done jack shit on humans.
    ....for hairloss.

Which , to be fair, wasn't at the top of humanity's concerns for some time. Even if we wish it were.

You don't need to have had cancer, or AIDs, or heart disease to know how important it is for scientists to concentrate on them.

But..you do need to have had hairloss to understand how destructive it can be to someone's life, male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    I understand the frustration, but it is extremely hard to get approval to trial things on humans and for good reason. For example gene therapy trials were underway in the U.S. for about a decade until in 1999 an 18 year old named Jesse Gelsinger who suffered from ornithine transcarbamylase, but was otherwise healthy was treated using an experimental gene therapy method and died four days later from massive organ failure. Another person died in Europe around the same time and since then nearly all gene therapy trials have stopped until recently.

So it's real easy to blame regulations for no treatments, which is fair to a degree since the process is pretty ridiculous, but there are reasons human trials are difficult to perform. I mean everyone who complains about regulations and the FDA, are also the people who scream the loudest about fin being poison and fin only messes with your junk. What do you think people would do if the FDA fast tracked a treatment for hairloss and it started causing cancer? Do you think all the people begging for fast track wouldn't then blame the FDA for fast tracking it?

Also in almost every mice study the end point is to kill the mice and dissect them to observe toxicity and effects on organs, that would be kind of difficult to do with humans.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBateman View Post
    ....for hairloss.

Which , to be fair, wasn't at the top of humanity's concerns for some time. Even if we wish it were.

You don't need to have had cancer, or AIDs, or heart disease to know how important it is for scientists to concentrate on them.

But..you do need to have had hairloss to understand how destructive it can be to someone's life, male or female.
    More troubling is their progress with life threatening diseases... none of them have cured anything. They take in millions and billions of dollars a year without having produced a single cure. If you look into the amount of money that goes into breast cancer research, its about 1 billion dollars. but what about marketing? advertising? product partnerships (tic tac has a campaign going now)? etc. Its easily in the billions... many many billions. And what do they have to show for it? NOTHING. Its not just the hair loss world thats suffering.... its all of us... I don't think any of these researcher quacks actually give a shit about anything other than the size of their bank account. I hope they get what they deserve, but thats never the case. Case in point, that incompetent loser president who sent young men and women to die over a false war should be in ****ing JAIL, yet the guy got a promotion for a second term?

I'm disgusted by humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    You have extremely unrealistic views of how science works.
    I understand in some cases they use mice to test, but let me ask you why does anyone honestly care about a report on what you did in a mouse? When you see a result in people in a trial later on then report it after its confirmed working. If its not happening in people it might not work and its not any practical use to anyone. Why not report the tiny progress or mundane tasks you did in the lab every single day to the public too? Neither is really useful just the end result in humans

Des?