+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Almost 23, just got diagnosed with "classic MBP"

Well here it is: http://imgur.com/a/OfvDD

These pics are about a few weeks old but they (kind of) tell the story), I think.

Anyway, after a couple of months of debate with my parents and online, I finally saw a dermatologist today about my hair, and he said "you have classic hereditary male pattern baldness".

I wasn't glad to hear it, but I got the picture beforehand due to my corners/temples being slightly (0.5-1cm) higher on each side while fully combing back wet/shampooed hair.

-- Prescriptions: Rogaine 5% foam, Propecia 1mg, Nizoral Shampoo (this one wasn't on the official prescription but I mentioned shampoo and he wrote it down on my notepad anyway)

Hair condition: I honestly don't feel anything visibly wrong with my hair, he said I am very "mild" on the NW scale and we both agreed that the general public won't notice any sign of me being balding or bald. I still have long (2" or more in some spots) black hair all over that can be styled and combed well over my face almost down to the eyes (when wet). However, I need to take action. My father's family has perfect hair genetics (3 brothers all full black hair no thinness in their 40-50s, my dad is 51 with very minor greying but still looks very robust). It is my mother's only brother, who went bald early, who is the one I share the genes with I guess.

Now that I am just about 23, I need to know for sure, do I get on propecia or are the sides too bad? Some sources say its a 95%/5% split between good/bad experiences, other sources say its 5%/95% lol. I will get generic minoxidil foam online and also the nizoral, but I am still unsure on propecia: generic/prescription, and of course: whether to go on it or not??

Who's the dr u saw????

Hey dude. You got good hair. Keep it with the stuff the doc gave you. Your body is producing testosterone which is being converted to a hormone called DHT which attaches and shrinks your hair follicles.

Take the meds and you will enjoy you hair for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Hey dude. You got good hair. Keep it with the stuff the doc gave you. Your body is producing testosterone which is being converted to a hormone called DHT which attaches and shrinks your hair follicles.

Thanks, I think so too, I had some pictures taken of me at an event yesterday and I had a full head of long thick hair (as vertically long as my forehead). I am just "starting" to thin at the crown.

Who diagnosed me -- a dermatologist at a large dermatology clinic in a large city in Canada.

Or don't take the meds and enjoy your health for the rest of your life.....deteriorating mental health that is!

Did I miss something? Do we have a cure for hair loss now?

Joke aside, it's not true, with finasteride you'll keep your hair 5 to 10 more years or until you can't bear the side-effects if you're not lucky, but nothing stops hair loss forever at the moment.

I will not get into the sides debate this time. Too tired right now. The best/most effective med we have right now is fin. If you take it and are a good responder you can keep(and even grow) your hair for a long time. If you don't....well, just look at your mom's brother. Like all drugs the risks of sides are there. If you get sides, then stop taking the drug, and you should be back to normal. I will add that there are some that claim that their sides continue after discontinuing finasteride use. I have no problem believing that this can happen, but I would say that the odds of this happening are very small.

I have been taking fin for 4+ months now with no sides.

A long time I agree, the rest of your life, forget it.

Yes, I will go on the big 3 today, I see every reason to start now. I asked my mother about my brother's age of balding but she either doesn't remember or won't say. He lived in another country and I barely know him, but from what I recall, he was in his early 30s when I knew of him to be balding. My goal is to last as long as possible so I will get the big 3 today.

What about dutasteride, should I be combining that with the big 3? Also is 1mg propecia enough or do I need 1.25, my prescription says 1mg.

---

http://imgur.com/a/RPz7C

---

I took some more pics this morning in detail with relaxed, pulled back, and wet+combed.

I see obvious crown thinning, and receded corners when I pull back.

In relaxed position I think I most people won't notice, but I definitely can, and anyone who has done research on mpb will probably be able to tell.

The dermatologist said this is hereditary pattern baldness, which looks obvious to me. I could only have gotten it from my mother's side.

Were it not for my preemptive research on mpb, I wouldn't suspect a thing, I feel that I have been in this "position" hair wise for at least 1 year now (based on old pics).

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hair204 View Post
    Well here it is: http://imgur.com/a/OfvDD
    Anyway, after a couple of months of debate with my parents and online, I finally saw a dermatologist today about my hair, and he said "you have classic hereditary male pattern baldness".
    Some doctors can be brutally broadbrush. Nearly all men even with "full" heads of hair show minor signs of thinning or recession at the temples.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	recession.jpg

Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	23955