+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Reconsidering my position on reproducing with the balding gene

This subject has come up before on BTT. My position at one time was "a kid born today will never have to go bald, so it does not matter if you pass your crap hair genes on"
    In light of the depressingly slow progress of new treatments, & realizing more and more how many sufferers can not actually stop androgenic alopecia w/ current meds....I am going to have to say it is wrong to have children if you have this gene

Things to consider:

-If your son gets on fin or dut at 18, he still could go bald or significantly balding
    -Even in your kid's lifetime the advances in treatment might not be enough to ensure a fully dense NW1-2
    -Your kid may be unlucky & not respond to new treatments just like some do not respond to fin/dut/minox
    -Your kid may not even be a good transplant candidate if he is a diffuser

I am sure I could think of other things if I spent a little time.
    Basically there are many reasons why people should not pass their genes on. Androgenic alopecia is definitely one of them until we have a REAL CURE to this disease

The biggest parenting mistake most people make is reproducing when their genes are not good enough. Do not be selfish

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    This subject has come up before on BTT. My position at one time was "a kid born today will never have to go bald, so it does not matter if you pass your crap hair genes on"
    In light of the depressingly slow progress of new treatments, & realizing more and more how many sufferers can not actually stop androgenic alopecia w/ current meds....I am going to have to say it is wrong to have children if you have this gene

Things to consider:

-If your son gets on fin or dut at 18, he still could go bald or significantly balding
    -Even in your kid's lifetime the advances in treatment might not be enough to ensure a fully dense NW1-2
    -Your kid may be unlucky & not respond to new treatments just like some do not respond to fin/dut/minox

Basically there are many reasons why people should not pass their genes on. Androgenic alopecia is definitely one of them until we have a REAL CURE to this disease

The biggest parenting mistake most people make is reproducing when their genes are not good enough. Do not be selfish
    Being bald does not mean you have bad genes. At worst, it means you have bad hair genes. But you could as well have bad eyes genes, bad nose genes, bad chin genes, low IQ genes and so on. Don't be such a prick!

Mental illnesses are often genetically determined. So yeah, you probably shouldn't reproduce.

Things to consider:

So, you're saying that because I have a cosmetic flaw that literally has no effect on anything else about me other than my current self-esteem, I shouldn't be allowed to have a kid?

Wait, I have glasses though...

Good thing fin will castrate me, right?

God bless the internet!

Or is this just your ridiculous rationalization to giving up on yourself because it's easier than shaving your head or not giving a shit about hair loss?

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    So, you're saying that because I have a cosmetic flaw that literally has no effect on anything else about me other than my current self-esteem, I shouldn't be allowed to have a kid?
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

What about if: you're short, have an ugly nose, have acne, have eyes too far apart or oddly shaped, have very pale or very dark skin, have thin eye brows, have poor deltoid genetics, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.?????????????????????????????????? No kids for you? Or is it literally one physical trait that you happen to be afflicted with that somehow magically holds precedence over every other undesirable physical trait?

Or, how about if you're a perfect male specimen appearance-wise but have a double digit IQ, family history of heart disease, suffer from depression and/or anxiety, and micropenia? Does that somehow qualify a guy to pass on those shitty genes since people don't have to look at it?

^^ Hey BigThinker bro how is fin/minox going for you lately

#noshamehijackingthisthread

I sware man we have almost the same hair, texture degree of loss and ive been on my regimen a lot shorter than you + dipping below baseline and mad shedding lately.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Being bald does not mean you have bad genes. At worst, it means you have bad hair genes. But you could as well have bad eyes genes, bad nose genes, bad chin genes, low IQ genes and so on. Don't be such a prick!
    Unfortunately one bad gene can spoil an otherwise good pool of DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Mental illnesses are often genetically determined. So yeah, you probably shouldn't reproduce.
    I am aware, thanks.

Not saying you should not be allowed....just that it would be selfish & the children of the future deserve better odds than your hair genes can give them
    (This is not personal, the same goes for me)

Or is this just your ridiculous rationalization to giving up on yourself because it's easier than shaving your head or not giving a shit about hair loss?
    I said nothing about giving up on myself

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    What about if: you're short, have an ugly nose, have acne, have eyes too far apart or oddly shaped, have very pale or very dark skin, have thin eye brows, have poor deltoid genetics, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.?????????????????????????????????? No kids for you? Or is it literally one physical trait that you happen to be afflicted with that somehow magically holds precedence over every other undesirable physical trait?

Or, how about if you're a perfect male specimen appearance-wise but have a double digit IQ, family history of heart disease, suffer from depression and/or anxiety, and micropenia? Does that somehow qualify a guy to pass on those shitty genes since people don't have to look at it?
    Most people SHOULD NOT reproduce & you list some of the possible reasons why
    However the most obvious and often most important reasons are physical. Except in extreme cases (severe autism, being so stupid you cannot handle basic arithmetic, incurable suicidal depression, etc), looking like crap is basically the worst disadvantage you can have in life. And unfortunately hair loss beyond a certain point means looking like crap for most men

FYI I would not say all the things you listed are dealbreakers for having kids. Abnormally dark or light skin, thin eyebrows, lame deltoids can be fine. Depends on many other factors

what if you end up reproducing with someone and the combination of your DNA yields a Jason Statham type kid?

Dawg look around there are plenty of bald guys who are at least average looking, if your in shape its a huge plus.

Looking like crap is basically the worst disadvantage you can have in life. And unfortunately hair loss beyond a certain point means looking like crap for most men
    I don't think so. If you are bald, at least make sure you are in shape, and grow some facial hair to take the attention away from the head and balance the face. Also helps if you are tall. So what I'm saying is that you can look pretty good even bald.

Take a step back here,

think about part of your argument...

If being bald makes you ugly, shouldn't you just have kids with an ugly female with whatever characteristic you define as ugly?

Plenty of guys have attractive women in their lives and are bald - because they have decided that their hair doesn't define them as ugly.

Plenty of guys have ugly women in their lives and are bald - because they have decided that their hair defines them as ugly.

Obviously there are other cosmetic factors here, but try to think about that for a second. If you think you're less attractive, why the do you deserve an attractive female? That girl didn't ask for her genetic acne scars and you didn't ask for your genetic baldness... Sorry but not all of us are movie star material, that's why there are movie stars.