+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Wishful thinking or is propecia starting to fight my mpb?

With something as personal as mpb , it is hard to be objective about yourself so that is why I would appreciate comments, good or bad if you can see any change since starting on Propecia in July.

For awhile, I was able to to maintain with just minox. I had basically an oval shaped spot. But starting a year or so ago, I was pretty sure it was starting up again. First the hairline, then a few months later in the crown.

The first photo shows when I realized it was expanding. In the first pic you can see where it was starting to move upward on the right side and it looked kinda like a finger. Eventually the left side did the same and hopefully you can see it in the next 2 pics. These were both taken about 2 weeks before I went on propecia. To me, it looked like not only was it getting worse, but was becoming more like a bald spot . The last pic was taken 2 days ago. I know I can't be objective but to me it looks like my crown is not as advanced as it was back in July.

Wishful thinking or do you think propecia is starting to work on my mpb?
    I am on a low dose - had no problems and may increase dose frequency as long as I don't have any problems. Thanks for your objective opinions .

I have no doubt that your hair in the last picture looks vastly improved compared to the other pictures. What I do doubt, however, is that propecia could grow that much hair that fast. It may be working, but I think the improvement in that last picture might be more attributable to better combing/neater hair.

But I could be wrong and you could be wrong and you might be a great responder. Either way, your hair in the last pic looks awesome. The average person probably wouldn't really consider that much of a bald spot at all.

There's obvious improvement in the last pics. Looks like the hair is slowly closing in, filling up your bald spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    I have no doubt that your hair in the last picture looks vastly improved compared to the other pictures. What I do doubt, however, is that propecia could grow that much hair that fast. It may be working, but I think the improvement in that last picture might be more attributable to better combing/neater hair.

But I could be wrong and you could be wrong and you might be a great responder. Either way, your hair in the last pic looks awesome. The average person probably wouldn't really consider that much of a bald spot at all.
    There is definite improvement. Sorry but the average person would consider that a bald spot. Mine is much smaller and constantly am reminded by people I'm balding.

All the same, it's filling in for you and that's the main thing.

Thanks guys.

As far as the combing goes, I always try to spread out the existing hair so you can see my bald spot fully, thought that is still not 100% accurate . In that last photo, you can still see the right "finger". Well the left "finger" is still there but is much smaller and harder to see so maybe that is due to the combing effect.

So I will take more photo's in a few months and that should give us a better idea if it is working or just a lucky photo.

As far as responding early. Yes I am surprised at this too. I can only say that right now my mpb is not aggressive like one time in the past. And I follow the men on my mom's side to the "T". That is it starts in the teens yet is very very gradual yet also very relentless. You don't get horseshoed till about 60-65.

Maybe that has something to do with it, but really don't know just happy that it appears to be working. Front hairline has very minor improvement but nothing like this. Just sorry I waited so long to get on propecia.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    With something as personal as mpb , it is hard to be objective about yourself so that is why I would appreciate comments, good or bad if you can see any change since starting on Propecia in July.
    I did notice that your photos progressively get smaller which could create the illusion that the thinning area is smaller in the most recent photo. On the other hand, your most recent photo was taken with a pretty strong flash which can make the spiral on a man with absolutely no hair loss look thin. Taking everything into consideration, It appears Propecia is working for you.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

do u have pics of hairline pre fin and current?

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    do u have pics of hairline pre fin and current?
    No I guess I should have. But the main reason was the fact that my biggest problem and worries are in the back. My bald spot was growing much faster than I was receding in front. Same thing happened with my uncle and grandfather. Uncle is now completely bald except for front forehead.

Several people and even my sister pointed out I was getting a bald spot in the back yet never said a word about my hairline.

I can take some pics but you are not going to see much. As far as actual new growth goes, in the very front center of my hairline i have some very tiny almost invisible new hairs. I can only see them when I get close to the mirror with bright lights. Not sure they would show up in a pic. So far I have not seen them get bigger or gain color, so unless they do, they are worthless. Now on a more positive note, I am seeing existing hair that could never grow very much starting to grow again. On the right side I see it happening at the right temple area. I don't see any at the left temple but further up on that side I can see it though not as much.

For now I am just going to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I did notice that your photos progressively get smaller which could create the illusion that the thinning area is smaller in the most recent photo. On the other hand, your most recent photo was taken with a pretty strong flash which can make the spiral on a man with absolutely no hair loss look thin. Taking everything into consideration, It appears Propecia is working for you.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Hey thanks for the note. The first pictures were all taken by an older (circa 2004) 4meg pix Casio camera. The last one was from my phone but it is 5 meg pixs and seem to be an overall better camera. Yea I need to invest in a better camera and to be honest it's hard to be consistent when taking photos. In the past I would take a pic one day and crown would look pretty bad. Yet the next day, not so much which of course is impossible. But I figure over time I should know for sure.

The reason I am asking for feedback is because I am on a low dose of propecia (.25mg 2x a week). if it's working fine, but if not I want to gradually increase the dose frequency.

Thanks...

Lighting makes ALL the difference when you are comparing pics especially from the top view so be sure to have the EXACT lighting each time...

Looks like you are slowly improving though man!

Stick with this for a full year and if you are not satisfied consider adding dut 0.5mg once weekly ---> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686691