+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    The reason I am asking for feedback is because I am on a low dose of propecia (.25mg 2x a week). if it's working fine, but if not I want to gradually increase the dose frequency.
    ACell/PRP treatment helps some men. Hair transplant doctors began using PRP because it improves healing. Emory Hospital for instance uses PRP to treat sports injuries. In some patients there is a pretty dramatic increase in hair shaft diameter with ACell/PRP treatments. Dr. Cole mentioned some impressive PRP results were shown at the October ISHRS meeting in San Francisco.

We had a patient in recently who told me that dermarolling Minoxidil made a huge difference in his hair quality. I read recently that in at least one doctor's opinion, we need to exercise caution when dermarolling because of greatly increased absorption into the bloodstream.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Lighting makes ALL the difference when you are comparing pics especially from the top view so be sure to have the EXACT lighting each time...

Looks like you are slowly improving though man!

Stick with this for a full year and if you are not satisfied consider adding dut 0.5mg once weekly ---> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686691
    Thanks..I am sticking with it for sure..just may at a later day increase the dose frequency..ie from 2x a week to 3 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    ACell/PRP treatment helps some men. Hair transplant doctors began using PRP because it improves healing. Emory Hospital for instance uses PRP to treat sports injuries. In some patients there is a pretty dramatic increase in hair shaft diameter with ACell/PRP treatments. Dr. Cole mentioned some impressive PRP results were shown at the October ISHRS meeting in San Francisco.

We had a patient in recently who told me that dermarolling Minoxidil made a huge difference in his hair quality. I read recently that in at least one doctor's opinion, we need to exercise caution when dermarolling because of greatly increased absorption into the bloodstream.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Thanks...if anything I would like to use less minox if things work out. When I could see things starting getting worse I greatly increased my minox. Like a 6 month supply lasting less than 3 months. May have bought me a little more time in the back but I am cutting back to just once a day (or maybe every other day) if propecia ends up working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Lighting makes ALL the difference when you are comparing pics especially from the top view so be sure to have the EXACT lighting each time...

Looks like you are slowly improving though man!

Stick with this for a full year and if you are not satisfied consider adding dut 0.5mg once weekly ---> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686691
    BTW- Yes I have considered using dut if it ever comes to that as I have seen it work first hand with my father. To be fair , It could have been a timing issue as my dad did not start balding till around 70, but got a spot pretty quickly. Shortly afterwards, his dr put him on the stuff for his prostate. At that point he could have cared less about his hair but it seemed to completely fill back in.

The first pictures were all taken by an older (circa 2004) 4meg pix Casio camera. The last one was from my phone but it is 5 meg pixs and seem to be an overall better camera. Yea I need to invest in a better camera and to be honest it's hard to be consistent when taking photos.
    Hi, I have a suggestion.

Why don't you take some pictures with the original camera, using the same lighting, zoom, angle, pose, head-position etc. and try to recreate the same setup as the first picture?
    You did say you took those pics in July so I assume you still have that camera?

I know it can be quite difficult to take pictures of the back of your head by yourself (I've tried! lol :-) ). You could just keep reshooting pictures till you get it close to either the first or the second picture. Recreating the second picture might be better actually.

I agree with what 35YrsAfter says, the photos progressively get smaller creating an illusion. Also what he said about dermarolling - I agree, seems likely would change the amount absorbed.

In any case, the propecia does seem to be doing something for you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Hi, I have a suggestion.

Why don't you take some pictures with the original camera, using the same lighting, zoom, angle, pose, head-position etc. and try to recreate the same setup as the first picture?
    You did say you took those pics in July so I assume you still have that camera?
    The first pic was from Feb. The reason or at least part of the reason it looks bigger is because I cropped it. # 2 and #3 were from July. #2 is without flash, #3 is with flash.

And yes I still have the camera and can do that. In the meantime I am uploading a pic taken on the 8th..same day as # 4 but from a different angle.
    #4 was basically from the top looking down and this new one is more angled from the back.

Take a look and see if you still think propecia is working.

I know it can be quite difficult to take pictures of the back of your head by yourself (I've tried! lol :-) ). You could just keep reshooting pictures till you get it close to either the first or the second picture. Recreating the second picture might be better actually.
    I have been taking pics since I first noticed my crown starting to thin and after this many years it is still very hard to do. What I sometimes did was to just take pics over several days over the course of the week to get some kind of average.

I agree with what 35YrsAfter says, the photos progressively get smaller creating an illusion. Also what he said about dermarolling - I agree, seems likely would change the amount absorbed.

In any case, the propecia does seem to be doing something for you :-)
    Thanks..honestly the only one that is intentionally bigger is number 1 because I cropped out my face. In the meantime here is number 5..see if that changes anything.

Ahh this is interesting.

I can see what you mean about your head angle.

Pic #5 definately looks more bald than pic #4.

I have another idea.

You could use another mirror to reflect back the image displayed on the camera phone, to help you to see and to position your head like it was in the original picture :-)

This will help with positioning and composition.

You may need to hang this secondary mirror from something.

Maybe also use a print out of Pic #1 (attach next to mirror reflecting phone display).
    Try to match the image on the camera phone display to the original image print out :-)

Ahh this is interesting.

I can see what you mean about your head angle.

Pic #5 definately looks more bald than pic #4.

I have another idea.

You could use another mirror to reflect back the image displayed on the camera phone, to help you to see and to position your head like it was in the original picture :-)

This will help with positioning and composition.

You may need to hang this secondary mirror from something.

Maybe also use a print out of Pic #1 (attach next to mirror reflecting phone display).
    Try to match the image on the camera phone display to the original image print out :-)

I already use a second mirror. Look in the last pic and you can see my arm is up. There is a guy, I think he is an scientist that built a mount that rotated around him and had a way to keep his head in the exact same position. He has been taking pictures for 20+ years and then made a time lapse video. It shows him slowly starting to get mpb at first (hairline) then later it shows him rather quickly developing a bald spot. He did a great job, too bad it has to be mpb (he didn't try to stop it).

I am going to be just keep trying to take multiple shots from top and that rear angle. Over time I should know for sure if propecia is working. If that right finger disappears, then I will be sure.

I already use a second mirror. Look in the last pic and you can see my arm is up. There is a guy, I think he is an scientist that built a mount that rotated around him and had a way to keep his head in the exact same position. He has been taking pictures for 20+ years and then made a time lapse video. It shows him slowly starting to get mpb at first (hairline) then later it shows him rather quickly developing a bald spot. He did a great job, too bad it has to be mpb (he didn't try to stop it).

I am going to be just keep trying to take multiple shots from top and that rear angle. Over time I should know for sure if propecia is working. If that right finger disappears, then I will be sure.
    Ahh I see, you know what, I thought this was all completely the other way round: I thought you had the camera in your left hand (the arm that is up in the air) taking a picture of a mirror behind your head (the reflected image), over the top of your head.

Yeah best thing would be to have a fixed position every time (all measured out beforehand), like the time lapse you mentioned

Ahh I see, you know what, I thought this was all completely the other way round: I thought you had the camera in your left hand (the arm that is up in the air) taking a picture of a mirror behind your head (the reflected image), over the top of your head.

Yeah best thing would be to have a fixed position every time (all measured out beforehand), like the time lapse you mentioned
    I think I tried it a few times the way you described but this way seems to be better as it is a direct shot of the crown, rather than a reflection. I will wait a few more months, post some more pics and wait for the comments. If it is working, great, if not , will up the frequency of dosing. I am on such a low dose right now that I have plenty of room if this amount is not enough.