+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

From what I understand, Replicel's formula is fairly standard hair cloning/multiplication. Take cells from the back of the head, culture, inject into bald and thinning scalp with growth factors. But it only yields something like 6% regrowth. Even Dr. Nigam could probably do as well as that..

So basically what I'm saying is don't worry too much about whether this gets released soon. If it got released right now it would be pretty useless - they need to improve it significantly. If I was them, I'd go back to working on the science, and come up with a replicel 2.0 (assuming they can't change things up half way through trials) aimed at being a full hair multiplication solution; designer hair, just like Aderans originally planned. Then they can focus on competing with the other potential full cures that won't be available until 2020ish. Because right now, they'll be competing with HSC which performs much better, and they'll be on the level of Nigams in terms of efficacy I'd bet (maybe even worse by release, if he improves it).

Quote Originally Posted by HairBane View Post
    From what I understand, Replicel's formula is fairly standard hair cloning/multiplication. Take cells from the back of the head, culture, inject into bald and thinning scalp with growth factors. But it only yields something like 6% regrowth. Even Dr. Nigam could probably do as well as that..
    Can we please drop discussions about Dr. Nigam? So far in over a years time he's shown nothing more than very dubious results with help from photoshop. Nothing he's 'able to do' has been verified and his own evidence isn't credible. The guy needs to be completely dismissed until Dr. Mwamba confirms.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Can we please drop discussions about Dr. Nigam? So far in over a years time he's shown nothing more than very dubious results with help from photoshop. Nothing he's 'able to do' has been verified and his own evidence isn't credible. The guy needs to be completely dismissed until Dr. Mwamba confirms.
    I mention him because his results with HM are so poor. But he is one of the few people trying, which is why he gets mentioned across all the forums so much.

Has it been determined whether the treatment is compoundable?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    can we please drop discussions about dr. Nigam? So far in over a years time he's shown nothing more than very dubious results with help from photoshop. Nothing he's 'able to do' has been verified and his own evidence isn't credible. The guy needs to be completely dismissed until dr. Mwamba confirms.
    this.

[QUOTE=hellouser;156720]Oh great... way to open up a can of worms. This is going to be a fun thread.

haha - just being realistic about it because they said 3 year trial starts next year, so even if they decide to release it in asia after phase 2 is complete then they need to sell the technology then doctors will need to be trained on how to use it, ten advertise it and so on - that all takes time. So no idea why they said it could be out in asia in 2015.

I also remember all the hope over intercytex and Aderans, and we know how they went.

Quote Originally Posted by HairBane View Post

So basically what I'm saying is don't worry too much about whether this gets released soon. If it got released right now it would be pretty useless - they need to improve it significantly. If I was them, I'd go back to working on the science, and come up with a replicel 2.0 (assuming they can't change things up half way through trials) aimed at being a full hair multiplication solution; designer hair, just like Aderans originally planned. Then they can focus on competing with the other potential full cures that won't be available until 2020ish. Because right now, they'll be competing with HSC which performs much better, and they'll be on the level of Nigams in terms of efficacy I'd bet (maybe even worse by release, if he improves it).
    I'm interested in the announcement spencer mentioned way back on the show regarding them, they apparently had or have news that's very positive.

those first results were poor, but they've gotten a massive investment since then, which in my eyes must mean they've gotten an improved result at least to some extent.

It's not a massive investment. It's a fourth of what Follica had, actually less if we count all rounds of venture capital financing. But yeah maybe they're on to something.

I wish Follica would tell us something.... Honestly the more we wait, the higher the chance is that we will have to wait for stem cell based approaches which will take 20 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    yeah or 2019 at the earliest, if they go straight through phase 3 in a year and get to market straight away.
    Also I meant to add, you know where this puts it at? 5 years away! Yes, the magical '5 years away' lol :-)

Replicel's problem IMO is the same Aderans, Intercytex and all the others - that when hair stem cells are multiplied in vitro, they lose their inductive capabilities.

Jahoda knew this before Replicel even started, but I guess they had to find it out themselves! Replicel have mentioned before that they have been working with the Paul Ehrlich Institute to try and refine their replication procedure, but I don't think that'll do much good because they're still not addressing the root cause. So I don't foresee this new trial really cracking it, either. Maybe a small improvement on the last one.

The good news is Jahoda's recent partial success at restoring inductive capabilities through 3D cultures. If his team can get that working properly, then Replicel have already done the ground work, designed the protocols and the injector etc. They just need to modify their replication procedure to use Jahoda's method, and they should see much improved success at a minimum, if not a full cure.

I think that is actually going to be the solution we have all been waiting for so long, eventually. Fulfilling the promise of the early 2000s when they thought this stuff would work with simple 2D replication - which it should have, in theory. Unfortunately the hair cells had other ideas...

Maybe 10 years away? Haha.