+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need opinions..

Default Need opinions..

I am a 22 year old male. Back in late September, I noticed that I had a sudden onset of telogen hair shedding. My hair density has gone down incredibly. I am noticing circular spots on the sides and the crown of my head where the hair has thinned. I have always had very thick hair and a mature hairline that did not show any signs of recession.
    I have always has a healthy lifestyle. I have been a competitive runner for eight years (I still run to keep my fitness up everyday), I lift weights everyday, and I eat very healthful, organic, fresh foods (no fast food, no sodas, candies, processed foods etc.). I've never really changed my diet. I am a meat eater as well.
    I've researched hairloss for over a month now, and I think this is what happened. In June, in preparation for my last XC season, I ran over 1000 miles during summer vacation. This intense training schedule started 3-4 months ago before the episode of hair loss. The running locations were not as ideal as I had hoped; I was running on concrete all of the time. I have never run that many miles in my running career, I usually put in 50-60 mile weeks, not 80. When I started my season in the fall, I noticed that my racing times fell dramatically. I was a good runner, holding my spot in the top 5 for the past seasons. Because of this, I had my ferritin levels checked and they were at the lowest level I've ever seen, which were 10. I believe my initial ferritin levels were much higher. I had to stop my season. After that, I noticed my hair suddenly falling out. I have been extremely stressed since I noticed how much my hair has dramatically changed over the past seven weeks. The texture is hard and brittle and I can faintly see my entire scalp when I get my hair wet.
    My bangs lost a lot of density as well.

I have seen two dermatologists and talked to one (who is a family friend) over the phone. The two derms I saw in person said that they didn't see any signs of MPB, not to worry and let time heal my hair. They kept saying that the stress caused my hair to thin. I am going to see the dermatologist that I spoke to over the phone in a few weeks. This derm is very good and specializes on hair issues. After talking with her and telling my story she believes that I am suffering from both Telogen Effluvium and Alopecia Areata. She doesn't believe that I am suffering from MPB since it all happened so quickly.

I am currently on Rogaine and a special shampoo that this Derm ordered for me to stimulate growth again.

Thoughts? Is this Telogen Effluvium? I am concerned since there is a circular spot on the top of my head that had thinned. Also there is a circular spot on the side of my head by my left ear where hair had thinned.

I am sorry to double post, but I would like answers!

Quote Originally Posted by randomperson View Post
    After talking with her and telling my story she believes that I am suffering from both Telogen Effluvium and Alopecia Areata. She doesn't believe that I am suffering from MPB since it all happened so quickly.
    Seems reasonable. However you still could have MPB, so do not have a false sense of security. Treat for AA & TE, but always stay vigilant for andro alopecia. MOST men develop genetic hair loss in their 20s if not sooner.

Yeah, I am aware of that. However having ferritin levels drop from a high number like 40-50 to 10 is a huge stress-inducing event. My body really suffered from that. It correlates with telogen effluvium since the increase in shedding happened 3 months after I started my intense training plan. I should have monitored my ferritin levels. I have been getting my ferritin levels up higher.
    Even if this is a temporary event, I think I am going to commit to rogaine and other meds for the rest of my life to ensure that I have a thick head of hair for a long time. It doesn't hurt and is pretty easy to apply.