+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hey Bro,

I think you will start losing hair if you get off finasteride. I think you can find ways around to maintain your hair. I would recommend start using minox and dermaroller. I am assuming that you are an Athlete. If a doctor waiver wouldn't be sufficient enough then do what you must. There are chances your hair loss is mild since your are off steroids. It might not progress as quick as some folks MPB progresses.

I had to get off finasteride wagon due to feeling depressed and weak all the time. Since i have been off, i have been using rogain/dermaroller. I have noticed some regrowth but nothing like finasteride. You do have option of messing with experimental treatment such as CB(AntiAndrogen). Of course not much is done on effectiveness of the treatment.

good luck.

Sorry I've not updated in ages, I genuinely don't think about hairloss much at all anymore. Still nothing, no shedding, no hairline recession.

I just had a shower, towel dried my hair quite violently and then ran my fingers through my hair 3-4 times, while I was on fin this would've returned about 20 hairs, this time around it was maybe 1. Seeing as I'm not sheddding anymore I think my hair is actually thicker.

So yeah, s5 cream to the temples once a day is doing a great job, I don't even have to worry about the messiness of it either as I put it on right before I go to bed and as soon as I get up in the morning I have a shower.

I don't want anyone reading this to take this as gospel and quit fin, my hairloss was only initially caused by playing around with steroids a year ago, I'm quite certain I wouldn't have lost any hair for many years if it wasn't for me doing that (no one in my faimly is fully bald, no one loses hair until 40+, my grandad has a decent amount on top aged 94, my dad is NW3V at 58)

I'll come back in a few months and update again, until then I'll stay away, spending time on these hairloss sites really poisoned my mind a few months back lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    I'll come back in a few months and update again, until then I'll stay away, spending time on these hairloss sites really poisoned my mind a few months back lol.
    Not everybody can take in everything they read here and process it appropriately. Separate facts from the rest of the garbage.

Closing in on a year coming off fin now, just using minox once a day and spiro cream once a day, still holding steady, not lost even a millimetre on my hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Not everybody can take in everything they read here and process it appropriately. Separate facts from the rest of the garbage.
    I think all I meant was that I was constantly thinking of hairloss when I was on sites like this, rather than that the people on this site were poisoning my mind (which they weren't).

Closing in on a year coming off fin now, just using minox once a day and spiro cream once a day, still holding steady, not lost even a millimetre on my hairline.
    Is spiro cream systemic or is it localized to just the scalp? You experience any sides from it?

Its localized

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Due to my new line of work I won't be able to take finasteride anymore (it is banned as apparently it's used to mask steroid use), there's no getting around it, I have to stop. Don't really want to go into detail about my job but there are regular tests.

For me fin has maintained my hair well, my hairloss was caused by steroids in the first place, with my normal hormone levels I was fine. I'm hoping that seeing as my hair can cope with my normal hormone levels (or at least it could before) I should be fine coming off? The only thing I'm worried about is up regulation of androgen receptors, is this permanent and also would 10 months of use be enough to do it?

Thanks.
    I would begin using alternatives to finasteride and just go with the job. If a cure becomes available in 5 years, you may kick yourself for passing up the opportunity.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryUser View Post
    Is spiro cream systemic or is it localized to just the scalp? You experience any sides from it?
    Local, and no sides. Honestly, if your hairloss is minor I couldn't recommend it more, a jar of s5 cream will last me 3-4 months if I apply it once a day to my temples, I can't imagine it would be that practical for moderate to severe hairloss though.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I would begin using alternatives to finasteride and just go with the job. If a cure becomes available in 5 years, you may kick yourself for passing up the opportunity.
    Thanks man, that's what I did, this thread is old now though, just returned to give an update.

Local, and no sides. Honestly, if your hairloss is minor I couldn't recommend it more, a jar of s5 cream will last me 3-4 months if I apply it once a day to my temples, I can't imagine it would be that practical for moderate to severe hairloss though.
    Thanks for the response. So, based off your experience, do you think spiro could be substituted for fin later on? Like, say I use finasteride for some months and get some decent results, is it possible that spiro could take over and just maintain those results? I'd rather not take something systemic like fin forever lol.