+ Reply to Thread

Default Opinions? I need some help

I am 24 years old
    Hi guys I am 24 years old and I been on minox5% and fin 1.25 mg for 2 years. It worked very well for me which I actually gained a lot of hair back. But the last 6 months I been sheeding a massive amount and I don't know what to do. Is this a sign that fin has lost it's effect and I am loosing everything i gained? Lately I have a very itchy scalp and I have a lot of deandruff and I haven't changed my shampoo or anything. I also did my blood work and everything was ok but my TSH levels were low at 0.037, might that be the reason to why I am shedding so much. Knowing all that should I consider switching from fin to dut and if I do switch do you guys believe i will see improvements and from experience what is the life expectancy for dut? I can post pictures if you guys like

I appreciate the advice
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Tonidushica View Post
    I am 24 years old
    Hi guys I am 24 years old and I been on minox5% and fin 1.25 mg for 2 years. It worked very well for me which I actually gained a lot of hair back. But the last 6 months I been sheeding a massive amount and I don't know what to do. Is this a sign that fin has lost it's effect and I am loosing everything i gained? Lately I have a very itchy scalp and I have a lot of deandruff and I haven't changed my shampoo or anything. I also did my blood work and everything was ok but my TSH levels were low at 0.037, might that be the reason to why I am shedding so much. Knowing all that should I consider switching from fin to dut and if I do switch do you guys believe i will see improvements and from experience what is the life expectancy for dut? I can post pictures if you guys like

I appreciate the advice
    Thanks guys
    I think the likelihood fin has stopped working and your hair loss is accelerating at the rate you describe is nearly impossible. You said yourself you responded well, only 2 years and 24 years old? Anything is possible, I would just say that is very, very unlikely.

The way you described Dandruff it sounds like a new symptom. I think an unhealthy scalp can really accelerate hair loss and that is a more likely culprit. The liquid Minox can be very harsh on the scalp. I used it for a couple years without any issues, but eventually I ran into scalp hell. Switching to Minox Foam alleviated any issues in that regard. It contains no alcohol and is far less irritating to the scalp vs traditional Minox. Nizoral serves as an anti fungal/dandruff shampoo. For most people on hair lose regimes it's mandatory. I think if you switch to both you have a real good shot at improving the health of your scalp. That's my suggestion. I think I'm correct on both accounts, but I feel most strongly about it not being fin just not working anymore. You're still very young, fairly new on fin, it's just unlikely you would see a rapid decline at this point based on that.

I started taking fin and minox at the age 22. In the beginning I responded extremely well gained alot back and I always thought the reason was because of fin that I saw those improvements. Anyways I think you might be right because I haven't used minox for the last 2 days and honestly July head actually feels better, less itchy and less deandruff it seems and it's only been 2 days so far. So your experience when you switched to the foam did you notice regrowth. And one last question what's your opinion should I ride fin a little longer or should I start looking at dutasteride. I can show you pics where I stand now if you'd like

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Tonidushica View Post
    I started taking fin and minox at the age 22. In the beginning I responded extremely well gained alot back and I always thought the reason was because of fin that I saw those improvements. Anyways I think you might be right because I haven't used minox for the last 2 days and honestly July head actually feels better, less itchy and less deandruff it seems and it's only been 2 days so far. So your experience when you switched to the foam did you notice regrowth. And one last question what's your opinion should I ride fin a little longer or should I start looking at dutasteride. I can show you pics where I stand now if you'd like

Thanks again
    I'm just going off my own experiences and those of people I know. I know 5 guys who started Fin before the age of 24, now all are 30-35. All have the exact same looking hairline they did at 24. Likely even better. Fin just doesn't tend to stop working that quick and at that age. Eventually with age, your body adjusting to the medication, a switch might make sense, the efficacy of Fin might be reduced. But I just don't think you're anywhere near that point yet. I would think for most people "that point" is at least 8-10 years and I feel that's a conservative guess. So I would stay stick with Fin, save Dut for down the road, when it makes more logical sense that the Fin isn't as effective based on your age and the time you have been on it.

I can say first hand, when I had my scalp flair up, it was the worst my hair ever looked in my life. I felt visually I regressed 2-3 years in a few months. I don't think I could grow any hair during that time, MPB or not, hair couldn't grow on a scalp that messed up. My entire scalp was blocked by Minox goop, it itched like hell every second. It was just so unhealthy.

The Foam is 100% just as effective, in fact I would say even more so. Regardless of Minox foam or Liquid, either are capable of being applied to a slightly moist scalp. Which allows for much better absorption into the skin. Which allows for better results. If you try putting the Liquid form on your scalp when it's wet, at least for me, that's what started this whole fiasco. I have been on the foam now for a long time doing the same thing. Applying to slightly wet skin. I haven't seen a flake of dandruff in months, my scalp never itches. It's probably the most healthy my scalp has even been. I also use Nizoral shampoo which is a key component with all of this.

To give you an idea, look at the post of mine "this will make an interesting case study". Now I'm a very far gone individual. My hair loss might be beyond repair short of HT. But if you know many people who have gotten the results I have in 2 months I would be shocked. Generally Fin takes 4-6 months to show results I'm showing in 2. It's insane. So coming from a dude who suffers from a very dry scalp naturally, using all these things, I think I have things nailed down pretty well. It's just been threw trial and error, my own experiences, and reading endlessly about what has and hasn't worked for others.

So basically I went to a doctor he advised me to go check my TSH levels of how low they are. He also proscribed nizoral 2% but I actually bought the 1%, I wanna see how I respond with the 1% percent first. I also just bought the foam minox5% so I am hoping maybe I see a minimal growth of new hair ill be happy with that. Thanks for your advise BTW.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You should follow up with your family doctor about your low TSH levels. Thyroid dysfunction is a common cause of hair loss and can have other negative effects on the body and overall health.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile