+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spilling the Beans to friends

I just wanted to start a discussion about telling friends and coworkers about hair transplants. I know its a pretty scary thing and wanted to share my story.

First off I will be 29 this month and all of my friends have a full head of hair with the exception of one who has minor frontal loss. A little less than 2 months ago I had my second HT. My first procedure was when I was 24 and I had about 1500 graphs transplanted to my hairline. During and after my 1st HT I kept it a secret from everyone besides my immediate family. This was a mistake.

I have a pretty large group of friends that hang out all the time. I would see these guys a couple times a week at least. Well before my 1st HT I would say I was probably one of the more popular guys in the group and was always down to hang out.

After my 1st HT I decided to keep it a secret from my friends. At first it didn't really bother me much but after a while it really started wearing on me. I felt like a phony and was really starting to become more introverted than before. I wasn't being honest with the people who I care about and who care me and the longer I kept it a secret it seemed the worst it got.

At first I was just embarrassed what they would think but then the more time that passed I started to feel ashamed at myself for letting it get to that point.

About 5 months ago and 4.5 years after my first procedure I finally decided to tell a couple of my buddies while on the topic of hair loss. They were surprised and completely understanding. They didn't laugh or say any dumb remarks. They just asked me about the whole process and seemed genuinely interested and respectful of my situation. It was a huge relief and I felt a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders. It gave me confidence to tell more people.

So a couple months after I told my 2 friends I went in for my second HT. During the weeks before and after I told the rest of my good friends about my procedures. Now 8 of my good buddies all know the secret I was hiding for so long and I couldn't feel better. It really is liberating not having to hide the real you from your friends. I even told a few coworkers about it.

I don't know if I'm in the minority but hiding something as big as a HT can be pretty taxing. I recommend anybody who is on the fence to come clean to their good friends as it is an extremely rewarding feeling. And when you do you will find out just what type of friends you have.

I envy your courage......and your friends.

I don't have the balls to get an HT. With that said I think close friends and family would find out anyways. I mean the whole idea is to change the way you look to others. As for the rest, there shouldnt be need to tell anyone. Unless results are poor and everyone keeps staring at your head.

I wouldn't have been stressing about it. It's not like getting an HT is something illegal or something like that. If you were a registered sex offender or something along those lines I could see the need to maybe want to spill the beans with that news.

Either way it was cool that your friends have your back and didn't give you crap. At least now you can stop thinking about it and get to enjoying your transplant.

come to think of it, as I lose more and more hair, I look more like a registered sex offender

I'm having my first FUE in February. All my relatives and friends know about it and they are quite supportive. Even if it's sometimes hard for them to understand that someone would be willing to pays 5000€ for roughly 5000 hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I'm having my first FUE in February. All my relatives and friends know about it and they are quite supportive. Even if it's sometimes hard for them to understand that someone would be willing to pays 5000€ for roughly 5000 hairs.
    Where are you going for your trasnplant Fred?

How many grafts Fred? It does seem cheap by Belgian standards.

Congrats arc31,

About 5 months ago and 4.5 years after my first procedure I finally decided to tell a couple of my buddies while on the topic of hair loss. They were surprised and completely understanding. They didn't laugh or say any dumb remarks. They just asked me about the whole process and seemed genuinely interested and respectful of my situation. It was a huge relief and I felt a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders. It gave me confidence to tell more people.

So a couple months after I told my 2 friends I went in for my second HT. During the weeks before and after I told the rest of my good friends about my procedures. Now 8 of my good buddies all know the secret I was hiding for so long and I couldn't feel better. It really is liberating not having to hide the real you from your friends. I even told a few coworkers about it.
    I can relate to all of this. I 'came out' too after 10 years of keeping all my HT's and involvement in the hair loss industry a dark secret. BEST thing i ever did. Friends embraced it and were incredibly supportive - i am now 10 ton on bricks lighter

Well done !
    S
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I don't agree with you that it's like holding back a secret from your friends, but to each his own. Your friends seem to be understanding and I'm happy for you, but I know that not every guy would be that way. I don't have anything to hide from my friends, but I can tell you that some of them have been absolutely brutal to other guys I know who were losing their hair. They would constantly make fun of them at the bar (in front of people, etc). So I could just imagine what they would do if they found out someone had a hair transplant. And these guys are not young either, we're talking mid-30's. Guys are just that way, the majority always will be.