• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Joseph F. Greco
    Ph.D
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hdude46
    Dr. Greco,

With over "2000 patients" benefitting from prp why aren't we seeing any of these results. I have talked with several very respected clinics including the one who did your ht and they are not convinced there is enough evidence to begin offering it in their practice. I think that speaks volumes and I am discouraged that almost every person on this forum who has gone to you for prp (outside of destin), has not experienced any benefits from it.

Being that I am young, still have a relatively good amount of hair, am looking to have it done mostly for the crown, and have a somewhat itchy scalp that the anti-inflamatory properties of prp could possibly aid in treating, I am what you call an ideal candidate. However the one thing that keeps me away from trying it is that there is no evidence.

I know you dont like photos, but its hard to just take your word that you are seeing results without some patient testimonials or atleast some pictures that its working. Dr. Feller was all excited about this two summers ago and was posting regular updates when he started this and then all of a sudden stopped. Why? If it was working why not continue to spread the good news? Where are the happy prp patients on the forums? I cant find any.

If you can address these concerns I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you for your questions and I can understand your concerns. First, as I have always done from the very beginning four years ago I only post photos of patients in studies we have done and generally show these results at conferences first where discussion can properly take place. I will be sharing our results in AGA, AA and DL at the ISHRS meeting this as well as showing results of others we are working with in the proper forum.

In 2007 we started utilizing PRP in HTP surgery and after noticing differences in surgery did the initial study sponsored by the ISHRS to see the effects of cytokines on non transplanted hair. After that we did a second research grant to study the effects of growth factors in Alopecia Areata patients. After two years of studies and noticing we did not have any negative side effects, I had no trouble offering the non surgical treatment to patients who failed on traditional therapy or who had side effects with traditional therapy. Because we have always considered this experimental, but safe, I have not and do not advertise this as a procedure and therefore do not show photos.

We are beginning to understand how cellular therapy is working and if and how GF's signal stem cells in various hair loss conditions. Of course, there is not a lot evidence when something new first comes out because we are at the forefront gathering information and evidence as you indicate with Dr Shapiro who did my HTP. That is why we wait for conferences to demonstrate our results and the results of others. Would you rather us proceed in an orderly scientific fashion or sensationalize like some others do?

Regarding Dr Feller, who I have a high professional regard, would be the first to tell you that we are using something different than straight PRP. Not all cellular therapy is the same.

After working in hair surgery 28 years and working with cellular therapy since 1998 and utilizing it with hair surgery the past 4 years I have no problem offering it to patients who have failed traditional therapy or have side effects to medicines because it has been an effective safe option. The easiest thing to do is criticize or find fault when something new is introduced. Time and scientific method will be the judge of how GF/stem cell interaction impacts hair loss solutions. Cordially, JG

Comment

• hdude46
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Dr Joseph F. Greco
      Thank you for your questions and I can understand your concerns. First, as I have always done from the very beginning four years ago I only post photos of patients in studies we have done and generally show these results at conferences first where discussion can properly take place. I will be sharing our results in AGA, AA and DL at the ISHRS meeting this as well as showing results of others we are working with in the proper forum.

In 2007 we started utilizing PRP in HTP surgery and after noticing differences in surgery did the initial study sponsored by the ISHRS to see the effects of cytokines on non transplanted hair. After that we did a second research grant to study the effects of growth factors in Alopecia Areata patients. After two years of studies and noticing we did not have any negative side effects, I had no trouble offering the non surgical treatment to patients who failed on traditional therapy or who had side effects with traditional therapy. Because we have always considered this experimental, but safe, I have not and do not advertise this as a procedure and therefore do not show photos.

We are beginning to understand how cellular therapy is working and if and how GF's signal stem cells in various hair loss conditions. Of course, there is not a lot evidence when something new first comes out because we are at the forefront gathering information and evidence as you indicate with Dr Shapiro who did my HTP. That is why we wait for conferences to demonstrate our results and the results of others. Would you rather us proceed in an orderly scientific fashion or sensationalize like some others do?

Regarding Dr Feller, who I have a high professional regard, would be the first to tell you that we are using something different than straight PRP. Not all cellular therapy is the same.

After working in hair surgery 28 years and working with cellular therapy since 1998 and utilizing it with hair surgery the past 4 years I have no problem offering it to patients who have failed traditional therapy or have side effects to medicines because it has been an effective safe option. The easiest thing to do is criticize or find fault when something new is introduced. Time and scientific method will be the judge of how GF/stem cell interaction impacts hair loss solutions. Cordially, JG

Dr. Greco,

Thank you for your time and candor, I appreciate it. I do still have a few questions if you don't mind.

You say you don't advertise this as a procedure and usually wait until conferences to show photos and share results, however on your website and your blog you DO advertise this procedure and show the same 2-3 photos that you advertised on this forum two years ago. I have also seen you on various news reports. I do know you have always said this is experimental but you have also talked about the results you have been getting on this forum as well as others with not much else to back up those claims. As a consumer and prospective patient I feel you are sending, possibly unintentionally, mixed messages about prp.

Like you said, "I have no problem offering it to patients who have failed traditional therapy or have side effects to medicines because it has been an effective safe option."

All I am asking is why not show some pictures of people who have benefitted from this or post some testimonials? I realize you have two on your blog (1 male, 1 female) and like I said before the same few photos, but why not more if you have treated so many patients and been using prp in htp surgery for 4 yrs now? I guess its my contention that its a little unfair to say you don't advertise, yet whether through this thread, on your blog, on your website, and through the use of those 2 testimonials and few pictures you do.

I've been trying to convince myself just to give this a try for awhile now, but have been unable to convince myself b/c ive rarely seen or heard from any patients who say 'yeah, its worked for me.' A little more evidence would go a long way. if you could respond to these concerns, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

• NTMANNN
        • Feb 2011

I'm kind of in the same boat as @hdude46, toying with the idea of an injection of PRP+ECM but I don't want to stop taking Avodart. I want the injection to see if it can add volume to my miniaturized hairs, but is this a reasonable expectation? That it will work in that way for me or does it work differently for different patients?

I want salvage as much of my miniaturized hairs as possible before I get a transplant to avoid that shock loss. Have you had patients with this gameplan? What do/would you tell them?

Comment

• HairTalk
          • Feb 2011

Dr. Greco, if I may ask, why is there such a dearth of photographic support for P.R.P.-treatments on your Web site? You mention you've performed the procedure on many patients (citing you've done so since 2007), yet you present only three before–after shots of those treated with P.R.P. injections for male-pattern baldness (the other two were sufferers of alopecia areata). Even these five images are of low resolution, and they don't suggest much in terms of treatment-efficacy.

Simply put, where's the photographic evidence, and why is it not on your Web site?

Thank you.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
            Ph.D
            • Apr 2009

Dr. Greco,

Thank you for your time and candor, I appreciate it. I do still have a few questions if you don't mind.

You say you don't advertise this as a procedure and usually wait until conferences to show photos and share results, however on your website and your blog you DO advertise this procedure and show the same 2-3 photos that you advertised on this forum two years ago. I have also seen you on various news reports. I do know you have always said this is experimental but you have also talked about the results you have been getting on this forum as well as others with not much else to back up those claims. As a consumer and prospective patient I feel you are sending, possibly unintentionally, mixed messages about prp.

Like you said, "I have no problem offering it to patients who have failed traditional therapy or have side effects to medicines because it has been an effective safe option."

All I am asking is why not show some pictures of people who have benefitted from this or post some testimonials? I realize you have two on your blog (1 male, 1 female) and like I said before the same few photos, but why not more if you have treated so many patients and been using prp in htp surgery for 4 yrs now? I guess its my contention that its a little unfair to say you don't advertise, yet whether through this thread, on your blog, on your website, and through the use of those 2 testimonials and few pictures you do.

I've been trying to convince myself just to give this a try for awhile now, but have been unable to convince myself b/c ive rarely seen or heard from any patients who say 'yeah, its worked for me.' A little more evidence would go a long way. if you could respond to these concerns, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
            The photos you are referring to were patients, as previously stated, that were in the initial study in 2008 posted on the site. You questions have already been answered in the prior post. Cordially, JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
              Ph.D
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by HairTalk
              Dr. Greco, if I may ask, why is there such a dearth of photographic support for P.R.P.-treatments on your Web site? You mention you've performed the procedure on many patients (citing you've done so since 2007), yet you present only three before–after shots of those treated with P.R.P. injections for male-pattern baldness (the other two were sufferers of alopecia areata). Even these five images are of low resolution, and they don't suggest much in terms of treatment-efficacy.

Simply put, where's the photographic evidence, and why is it not on your Web site?

Thank you.
              My response to your questions are answered in a prior post. Thank you

Comment

• HairTalk
                • Feb 2011

My response to your questions are answered in a prior post. Thank you
                I've just read; thank you. May I ask, then, when you feel the results of your work will be ready for presentation to the public?

Comment

• hdude46
                  • Aug 2009

Dr Greco,

Is dr deyarman using the same prp procedure as you?

Also, have you noticed it improve any scalp conditions such as itchiness in any patients?

thanks

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                    Ph.D
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by HairTalk
                    I've just read; thank you. May I ask, then, when you feel the results of your work will be ready for presentation to the public?
                    I am presenting our experiences with cellular therapy in various hair loss diseases at the ISHRS annual meeting in Anchorage and then in Paris in Oct so we will post some results of ours and more importantly others who and are doing independent studies and using cellular therapies in hair loss disease processes. Thanks,
                    JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                      Ph.D
                      • Apr 2009

[QUOTE=hdude46;29203]Dr Greco,

Also, have you noticed it improve any scalp conditions such as itchiness in any patients?

thanks[/QUOte/

No, but I believe he is having some nice results with what he is using. We are finding that there are many roads that lead to Rome.

Regarding itchiness. No question it helps reduce itchiness in scalp conditions because this is a powerful inflammatory as we are seeing in AA and DL. Thanks JG

Comment

• HairTalk
                        • Feb 2011

I am presenting our experiences with cellular therapy in various hair loss diseases at the ISHRS annual meeting in Anchorage and then in Paris in Oct so we will post some results of ours and more importantly others who and are doing independent studies and using cellular therapies in hair loss disease processes. Thanks,
                        JG
                        So, we (the public) should hear/see some details of your work by around the end of 2011?

Comment

• hdude46
                          • Aug 2009

[QUOTE=Dr Joseph F. Greco;29267]
                          Dr Greco,

thanks[/QUOte/

No, but I believe he is having some nice results with what he is using. We are finding that there are many roads that lead to Rome.

Regarding itchiness. No question it helps reduce itchiness in scalp conditions because this is a powerful inflammatory as we are seeing in AA and DL. Thanks JG
                          Dr Greco,

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

I was wondering if you could explain the differences between your prp procedure and the one dr deyarman is currently using and why both procedures, although different, are seemingly producing results. Thank you!

Comment

• hdude46
                            • Aug 2009

paging dr greco...

Comment

Working...