X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randomman111
    • Jun 2012

The end?

Hi

My hairline started to recede when I was around 18 and has progressed from a NW1.5 to a NW2.5-3 over the past 3 years.

I am now 21 heading rapidly toward a NW3.

About 5 days ago I started taking propecia. It took me about 2 years to make the decision but after a pretty hefty shed I felt that it was time to bite the bullet and give it a try.

This is after trying pretty much everything else available, rogaine, bimatoprost niz, alpecin etc.

After about 4 days of propecia I started to feel very disconnected from the world. Almost as if I was depressed/anxious (something I have experienced in the past). I have had zero other side effects such as ED etc

My questions is, is this something that will last? If so, my fight against baldness ends here. Is there anything that can be done for it?

Lucidity is something that is very important to me and I would take being a bald sharp guy a million times over being someone who is constantly anxious yet has a good head of hair.

Hairline Picture Attached

I also have diffuse thinning on the vertex
    Attached Files
  • 25 going on 65
    • Sep 2010

I would give it at least 6 months. Will probably wear off, it might not even be fin in the 1st place

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by randomman111
      After about 4 days of propecia I started to feel very disconnected from the world. Almost as if I was depressed/anxious (something I have experienced in the past). I have had zero other side effects such as ED etc
      It is very important to understand that you have had this condition before you even started fin. There will be guys showing up shortly that will overlook this bit of info and try to convince you that these feeling are 100% due to fin. With that being said, if you are not experiencing any other sides then I would stay on the drug and not think about the sides. You held of taking the drug for a long time for whatever reason and I am sure you have heard all of the horror stories by now.

I have looked at your pic and your hair is worth saving. Who knows, you might actually grow a bunch back. Stay on fin, stay off the sites and threads that discuss sides. Don't focus on checking yourself for sides because if you do will definitely find some. Whether they are due to fin is a different story. If you start suffering from sides, you will definitely know.

Comment

• swingline747
        • Apr 2013

Throw some Samm E with your regime and see if it helps. All natural and supposed to help with that stuff.

Prob not FIN and if you're not have sexual sides just keep it up and watch.

Comment

• randomman111
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by swingline747
          Throw some Samm E with your regime and see if it helps. All natural and supposed to help with that stuff.

Prob not FIN and if you're not have sexual sides just keep it up and watch.
          What is Samm E?

I stopped taking it as my head felt like it was going to explode!

Comment

• huawei
            • Jun 2013

Hey man, I'm going through the same thing as you are at the same age. It sucks!

If you're concerned over the fin maybe start with a lower dose and work your way up or find the threshold before sides kick in. Fin is still very effective even at something like a .5mg dose.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
              Doctor Representative
              • Aug 2012

Hi

My hairline started to recede when I was around 18 and has progressed from a NW1.5 to a NW2.5-3 over the past 3 years.

Is there much hair loss in your family? Any Norwood 6s or 7s? I agree with the other poster, try a smaller dose of Finasteride. I wrote in another thread that a patient of ours mentioned getting great results from dermarolling Minoxidil. You have to be careful of increased absorption though.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
              forhair.com
              Cole Hair Transplant
              1045 Powers Place
              Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
              Phone 678-566-1011
              email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
              I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
              Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                Is there much hair loss in your family? Any Norwood 6s or 7s? I agree with the other poster, try a smaller dose of Finasteride. I wrote in another thread that a patient of ours mentioned getting great results from dermarolling Minoxidil. You have to be careful of increased absorption though.

forhair.com
                Cole Hair Transplant
                1045 Powers Place
                Phone 678-566-1011
                I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
                For guys that experience sides, what do you recommend that they do when it comes to fin?

Comment

• irishpotatoes322
                  • Mar 2012

Hi

About 5 days ago I started taking propecia. It took me about 2 years to make the decision but after a pretty hefty shed I felt that it was time to bite the bullet and give it a try.

This is after trying pretty much everything else available, rogaine, bimatoprost niz, alpecin etc.

My questions is, is this something that will last? If so, my fight against baldness ends here. Is there anything that can be done for it?

Lucidity is something that is very important to me and I would take being a bald sharp guy a million times over being someone who is constantly anxious yet has a good head of hair.

Hairline Picture Attached

I also have diffuse thinning on the vertex
                  I'm in the exact same situation as you are; young 20's, diffuse thinning and hovering around NW2.5-3. for 2 years, I've experimented with different finasteride dosage schedules and supplements in hopes of finding the perfect compromise between hair and tolerable sides. fortunately, sexual sides and others related to estrogen I've been able to beat. unfortunately, the mental sides lingered for as long as I took fin no matter what I did.

with that said, if you've experienced anxiety and depression beyond the occasional slump that's typical for most people, I highly recommend you trust whatever your instincts are telling you. I say this because given your experience, you know the difference and how debilitating deeper levels of depression and anxiety can be.

that disconnect, desensitized feeling you explained may not be from fin, but..honestly? I would bet it is. my recommendation: lower your dose to something like .25mg - .5mg or .31mg - .625mg (if you are using proscar), and take it either every other day or every third day which is good enough for a diffuse thinner imo, only you're doing yourself the ultimate favor by finding out if you can tolerate the drug in due time with a relatively safe dose. much better than hammering your system with 4x the amount every single day. again, just in my opinion.

as far as why fin could cause those sides: look up finasterides effect on allopregnanolone levels, and also do some cross referencing on the advantages of DHT, as you often only hear about what it's bad for

"DHT is also an incredible mood booster and nervine. The brain relies on sex hormones, such as DHEA, testosterone, DHT and estrogen, for optimal functioning, but of all these steroid compounds, DHT reigns supreme."-mike mahler

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                  For guys that experience sides, what do you recommend that they do when it comes to fin?
                  .25mg/.31mg every third day
                  50mg zinc every day (sexual sides)
                  any affordable, proven natural aromatase inhibitor (sexual sides)
                  25mg pregnenolone every day (mental sides)
                  ginko biloba extract (mental)
                  omega 3's (mental)

Comment

• redy
                    • Jun 2013

For the above post about DHT - also keep in mind that if you're feeling like shit about your hair, you're also going to feel depressed.

I'm generally depressed about my hair, but I know it's from my hair... Then I slap myself in the face and meet up with friends.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                      Although Avodart (dutasteride) is more potent than finasteride, Dr. Cole has seen men who had sides with finasteride and not with dutasteride. The reverse is sometimes true as well. People are often very different when it comes to drug reactions.

forhair.com
                      Cole Hair Transplant
                      1045 Powers Place
                      Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• irishpotatoes322
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by redy
                        For the above post about DHT - also keep in mind that if you're feeling like shit about your hair, you're also going to feel depressed.

I'm generally depressed about my hair, but I know it's from my hair... Then I slap myself in the face and meet up with friends.

oh yeah, I agree that balding is depressing, but only because of how we perceive it. the literal act of losing hair does not physically lower your allopregnanolone levels and thus induce depressive symptoms like fin can in some people based on their body's chemistry

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                        Although Avodart (dutasteride) is more potent than finasteride, Dr. Cole has seen men who had sides with finasteride and not with dutasteride. The reverse is sometimes true as well. People are often very different when it comes to drug reactions.

forhair.com
                        Cole Hair Transplant
                        1045 Powers Place
                        Phone 678-566-1011
                        I've heard about that too, my guess would be that some men benefit more from the extra T that dut can give you over fin by lowering a greater amount of dht

Comment

• swingline747
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by irishpotatoes322

I've heard about that too, my guess would be that some men benefit more from the extra T that dut can give you over fin by lowering a greater amount of dht
                          So does extra T help hair loss?
                          Could I go get a T boost shot from my doc to help fight the MPB?

Comment

• irishpotatoes322
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by swingline747
                            So does extra T help hair loss?
                            Could I go get a T boost shot from my doc to help fight the MPB?
                            lol nah

above poster mentioned how there were some men who had side effects on fin but none when taking dut, which, if that were the case, was probably extremely rare. dut affects 5ar-1 and 5ar-2 which is why its side effect profile is worse than fins. but more dht reduced = more testosterone and estrogen, so maybe that little bit of extra test did something for them. who knows.

Comment

• randomman111
                              • Jun 2012

Thanks

Thanks for all your comments guys, I've decided to stop taking fin and try and maintain on bimatoprost for now.

Also going to look into cb0301 as it looks quite promising. Can anyone vouch for a good vehicle?

peace

Comment

Working...