+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant and Proscar and Regaine

Hi Guys,

I just want to is it a bad idea to take something like Proscar few weeks after a hair transplant? Would you guys recommend it to "help things along"?

Also, I know this has been debated a lot, but would you also recommend Regaine to help things along? Again how long would you wait after the HT to use Regaine, and how long would you wait to use something like Proscar.

Just as a side note, I don't really want to debate the risk's or pro's and con's of Proscar etc as I have read the threads debating that. I would genuinely appreciate if someone can answer those two questions for me. I appreciate it's only people's opinions, but that's what I am after, especially from those who have experience.

I am not fussed about cost. I just want to know if you would have a positive effect or a negative effect.

Thank you.

thinkingaboutit,

As much as we would like things to be that black and white, the thing we need to keep in mind is that we all respond to these meds differently.

In general terms both low dose finasteride and minoxidil can be useful and effective in treating MPB. Finasteride effectively inhibits DHT but minoxidil does not.

The other thing to consider is to make the important distinction between using these meds for the first time post-op or resuming these meds post-op. Many docs will want their male patients to be on low dose finasteride for an adequate period before their procedure. Some will want to pull their patients off of minoxidil prior to the procedure. Once the epidermis heals completely, (approximately 2-3 weeks post-op), the individual can resume minoxidil applications.

In addition, some individuals experience a shed from the "initial use" of these hairloss meds and the first time use can potentially negatively affect the timing of the regrowth post-op.

If the patient is experiencing acute shockloss post-op, starting these meds for the first time can potentially increase the level of fall-out. I have observed this in a number of men over the years to arrive at this opinion.

Yet my utmost recommendation is to approach this issue under the advice and guidance of your doctor.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin