+ Reply to Thread

Default Can MPB start at 15 years old?

I found some pictures of me back when I was 15 years old, and I had my hair cut really short back then. In the pics I saw that the sides of my hairline had a lot less hair than the rest of my head...That was the first time I cut my hair so short and I never really cared about my hair before that, when it was longer. All I remember is that my temples were always more "sparse" than everywhere else.

Can MPB even start that young?...I'm 19 now and my temples still look the same, they haven't receded but they're still a LOT thinner than the rest of my head. If it's not MPB, then why are only my temples thin, why not anywhere else? Also, I'm not Caucasian so IDK if this is normal or not..There are a lot of bald men on my mother's side, but not my dad's.

Yes it can start at 15.

Started earlier for me, pretty much right at puberty. I started noticing it when I was in 7th grade if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Started earlier for me, pretty much right at puberty. I started noticing it when I was in 7th grade if I remember correctly.
    Damn dude. This is why I don't come in here crying even though my hair looks like shit. I started balding at 22-23 and I thought life sucked, but losing hair at 13 would have been much worse. Greatjob you are a warrior.

Yes it definitely can. At 16, when people started noticing my hair loss, I imagine I had already lost 50% of my hair. I remember as far back as 13 years old shedding a large amount of hair in class when I rub my head. At 14 my hairline "matured" and took on this asymmetrical shape,as opposed to a straight line. I thought nothing of it, and didn't even care because I had "so much" hair, little did I know that was the start of my MPB. But yeah 16 was when it was noticeable, so 15 year olds are not safe from MPB.

Looking back at my hair loss history and when it started, I can't believe i'm at 24 with only a diffused NW3. It's not where I want to be, but damn, it could have been a LOT worse were it not for finasteride and minoxidil. I could have been full blown bald NW9 at the pace it was going pre-drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Mine was also in 7th grade.

I had a big shed at 16. Though my hairline definitely thinned out it wasn't that bad all things considering. My hair remained the same until I was about 19, where I began shedding again. It does happen that young, I was fortunate enough to not have any further loss between 16 and 19 but there are some people who go past NW3 even before they finish high school (though it is rare).