+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default So im 20. Need some views on this... (Long Read)

Let me just start off with some background info about myself.
    Im hispanic 6' tall with curly dry hair. For the majority of my life, up until i turned 18, i was always overweight, probably obese. My peak weight was 274 lbs around late feb. 2007. Beginning march i began a Diet plan. I ate 1 Main meal a day. It was at the same time every day, 1 pm. I ate Mixed greens, White rice, Miso Soup, and Salmon or Sea Bass. Now why this? Well i was hired at a hotel here in las vegas in feb. and they offer a free buffet for the employees. So i said wth might aswell go for a diet since im here and its free. I ate that about 85% of the time, sometimes i ate at night, a sandwich or a glass of water with bread or something. It was small. I only drank Water, seriously, ONLY water. Drank about a gallon of water every day. Now this kept on until about october of 2007 when i hit my lowest weight ever of 188lbs. Thats almost a 100 pound weight loss in a 7 month period. So thats my diet for that year. WEll in the summer of 2007 i had my hair its longest, which is about 7 inches in lenght. I then decided to braid my hair. Never having my hair braided, i ignorantly went on with the braids for a week before i had then undone. I did not oil my scalp nor wash my hair during the week. The itch in my scalp became sever and my scalp was really irritated and red. So when my braids were undone i ended up with a little plastic bag full of hair. My hair had fallen out i guess. It was an alarming amount of hair to me. It was perfect thick long hair that came out and it was a lot. I immedeatly washed my hair and cut it to about a half inch in lenght the following day. From then on my hair has gone away. My temples have receded/ are receding (im trying hard to keep what i have with hopes of regrowing what was lost) my top scalp area is growing thinner and thinner. Well since then i didnt really pay any mind to my hair, i figuired it would just regrow...Wrong! My hair did regrow but i have it thinner and there are patches on my head where you can see my scalp and the lack of hair growing.
    About 3 months ago i decided to start a vitamin regiment in an attempt to salvage what i have and recover the lost. Its quite an extensive list. I decided to ditch the Minox. since when i first tried it, my hair shedding became worse, and i cant afford propecia. So the next best thing is Natural stuff. First let me start with the topical things i use, like the shampoos.

Shampoos:
    Nizoral, Color Edge Jajoba Oil, Emu oil shampoo. (added Follichili to the line up last week)

Conditioner:
    BioInfusion Mint and Rosemary

Oils i put on my scalp:
    Peppermint
    Rosemary
    Tea Tree
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Emu Oil on the temples

Now my large list of Vitamins.
    This is a multivitamin that i take. this is 1 serving and the serving consists of 2 capsules. I take 1 capsule in the morning and one at night.

Vit A 10,000IU
    Vit C 250mg
    Vit E 12IU
    Vit B1 30mg
    Vit B2 100mg
    Niacinamide 30mg
    Vit B6 100mg
    Folic Acid 00 mcg
    Biotin 2000mcg
    Pantothenic Acid 250mg
    Zinc 5mg
    Copper 1mg
    Choline 250mg
    Inosssssitol 250mg
    para-Aminobenzonic Acid 100mg
    L-cysteine 100mg
    Silica 60mg
    MSM 50mg
    Ginkgo Biloba 24% 30mg
    Saw Palmetto 25%-30% 250mg
    Pygeum Africanum 100 mg
    Green Tea 4% 50mg
    Grape seed 95% 50mg

I also take the following vitamins as an addition to the multivitamin i take.

Biotin: 5000mcg. 1 in the morning and one at night = 10000mcg
    Saw Palmetto:2 in the morning and 2 at night. 2 capsules amount to 900mg
    Soy Isoflavones: 1 a day 700mg

i Havent seen any regrowth but my shedding has significantly halted.
    Hopefully i can see some regrowth but i doubt it

Here are some pictures i took.

At 17 my hairline

Sep 3 2007. After gettn my hair cut off

Oct 20th 2007

Jan 2008

3 months ago. Barely started Regime

2 weeks ago

IDK , my self esteem is super low... i cant go anywhere without a hat, and i hate it. 2 days ago a coworker asked me " is your hair falling". I simply noded yes, but it struck me that my situation is very noticable now. I cant afford propecia, and surely not a Transplant. I was thinking of doing the PRP thing but that doesnt help the temple area and its only temporary. I dont know, i just gotta hope for the best. I wouldnt have a problem with losing my hair if i was in my late 30s or 40s. Because i would have lived my young adulthood without the emberrasment of my hair.

Well if anyone care to chime in, go ahead.

If you added the cost of all of the stuff you use that will not do as thing for your hair loss, you would see that you can afford Propecia. See a doctor, and drop the shampoos , herbs and oils that do not work.

it adds up to roughly around 70 dollars every other month...
    propecia works after a year and u may lose ur erection. yeah....

WOW that is A LOT of stuff you're buying.

I agree with Winston - scrap them and buy Propecia (which is will cost less than 70 bucks a month). If you can't afford Propecia, buy generic Finasteride and split the pills, which is a lot cheaper but essentially is the same.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but Propecia doesn't work after a year. Maybe you are getting confused because people often talk about "one year" with Propecia as the time you can expect to see most of your results by. Doctors will often ask you to go on Propecia for a year to assess the success. In terms of "working," it "works" from day 1 in the sense that it inhibits type II 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone.

Also, I noticed that you've stopped Minoxidil application because you've noticed more hairloss, which I also think was a mistake.

I can tell you from my own experience that the initial "shedding" is normal when one starts a Propecia/Minox regimen. In fact, you should be relieved that you are shedding because it is a sign that the drugs are working. On my third week, that shedding came and my sink was COVERED with hair. The shedding continued for a few days but gradually stopped. By my 5th month, I was already seeing regrowth in my crown area.

Your concern about erectile dysfunction is understandable, and is an often cited concern for those considering taking Propecia. However, a vast majority of people respond positively to Propecia without the cited side effects (otherwise, FDA wouldn't have approved it, right?). Besides, your doctor should be able to walk you through this. I definitely didn't see any side effects, and my girl friend will is a happy witness. Of course, you may respond differently, so the best thing is to take the advice of a good doctor.

Lastly, I am 22, and know exactly what you're going through. I highly recommend going on Propecia/Minox regimen and take it from there.

Good luck.

-FCK (Follically Challenged Kid)

ill think about giving minox a try. I purchased that micro needle roller to puncture the scalp and therefore increasing the results of minox via channels to the scalp. I want to try minox for my temple area though. Idk. i might give propecia a try. how much is that stuff? i know that generic 5% minox at walmart is like 20 dollars or so.

The guys are right, you’re throwing your money away on bogus oils and junk when you should be looking into Propecia. What about PRP? You might want to look into that too.

im not saying that the products im using arent working. infact they are working. i was shedding around 100 hairs a day in the shower. after about a week my hair would fall and when i would swoosh my hand through my hair i would see only 1 or 2 hairs which was good. The thing is, i havent noticed any regrowth. As far as prp goes, i would like to have the procedure done but only on the temples and on the midscalp. im not sure if the procedure even works in those areas. Also, i live on the west coast part of the country and i dont know anyone that does prp procedures here.

Quote Originally Posted by d0072 View Post
    Let me just start off with some background info about myself.
    Im hispanic 6' tall with curly dry hair. For the majority of my life, up until i turned 18, i was always overweight, probably obese. My peak weight was 274 lbs around late feb. 2007. Beginning march i began a Diet plan. I ate 1 Main meal a day. It was at the same time every day, 1 pm. I ate Mixed greens, White rice, Miso Soup, and Salmon or Sea Bass. Now why this? Well i was hired at a hotel here in las vegas in feb. and they offer a free buffet for the employees. So i said wth might aswell go for a diet since im here and its free. I ate that about 85% of the time, sometimes i ate at night, a sandwich or a glass of water with bread or something. It was small. I only drank Water, seriously, ONLY water. Drank about a gallon of water every day. Now this kept on until about october of 2007 when i hit my lowest weight ever of 188lbs. Thats almost a 100 pound weight loss in a 7 month period. So thats my diet for that year. WEll in the summer of 2007 i had my hair its longest, which is about 7 inches in lenght. I then decided to braid my hair. Never having my hair braided, i ignorantly went on with the braids for a week before i had then undone. I did not oil my scalp nor wash my hair during the week. The itch in my scalp became sever and my scalp was really irritated and red. So when my braids were undone i ended up with a little plastic bag full of hair. My hair had fallen out i guess. It was an alarming amount of hair to me. It was perfect thick long hair that came out and it was a lot. I immedeatly washed my hair and cut it to about a half inch in lenght the following day. From then on my hair has gone away. My temples have receded/ are receding (im trying hard to keep what i have with hopes of regrowing what was lost) my top scalp area is growing thinner and thinner. Well since then i didnt really pay any mind to my hair, i figuired it would just regrow...Wrong! My hair did regrow but i have it thinner and there are patches on my head where you can see my scalp and the lack of hair growing.
    About 3 months ago i decided to start a vitamin regiment in an attempt to salvage what i have and recover the lost. Its quite an extensive list. I decided to ditch the Minox. since when i first tried it, my hair shedding became worse, and i cant afford propecia. So the next best thing is Natural stuff. First let me start with the topical things i use, like the shampoos.

Shampoos:
    Nizoral, Color Edge Jajoba Oil, Emu oil shampoo. (added Follichili to the line up last week)

Conditioner:
    BioInfusion Mint and Rosemary

Oils i put on my scalp:
    Peppermint
    Rosemary
    Tea Tree
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Emu Oil on the temples

Now my large list of Vitamins.
    This is a multivitamin that i take. this is 1 serving and the serving consists of 2 capsules. I take 1 capsule in the morning and one at night.

Vit A 10,000IU
    Vit C 250mg
    Vit E 12IU
    Vit B1 30mg
    Vit B2 100mg
    Niacinamide 30mg
    Vit B6 100mg
    Folic Acid 00 mcg
    Biotin 2000mcg
    Pantothenic Acid 250mg
    Zinc 5mg
    Copper 1mg
    Choline 250mg
    Inosssssitol 250mg
    para-Aminobenzonic Acid 100mg
    L-cysteine 100mg
    Silica 60mg
    MSM 50mg
    Ginkgo Biloba 24% 30mg
    Saw Palmetto 25%-30% 250mg
    Pygeum Africanum 100 mg
    Green Tea 4% 50mg
    Grape seed 95% 50mg

I also take the following vitamins as an addition to the multivitamin i take.

Biotin: 5000mcg. 1 in the morning and one at night = 10000mcg
    Saw Palmetto:2 in the morning and 2 at night. 2 capsules amount to 900mg
    Soy Isoflavones: 1 a day 700mg

i Havent seen any regrowth but my shedding has significantly halted.
    Hopefully i can see some regrowth but i doubt it

Here are some pictures i took.

At 17 my hairline

Sep 3 2007. After gettn my hair cut off

Oct 20th 2007

Jan 2008

3 months ago. Barely started Regime

2 weeks ago

IDK , my self esteem is super low... i cant go anywhere without a hat, and i hate it. 2 days ago a coworker asked me " is your hair falling". I simply noded yes, but it struck me that my situation is very noticable now. I cant afford propecia, and surely not a Transplant. I was thinking of doing the PRP thing but that doesnt help the temple area and its only temporary. I dont know, i just gotta hope for the best. I wouldnt have a problem with losing my hair if i was in my late 30s or 40s. Because i would have lived my young adulthood without the emberrasment of my hair.

Well if anyone care to chime in, go ahead.
    I was about to say "wow- this guy's betting on unproven stuff that costs more than Propecia, but can't afford Propecia?" until I saw the same comments from less biased sources (I used to work on Propecia). Propecia has a discount program for new patients- check the website. And if any of the other stuff works, please get someone to conduct a study so we can all know if it's worthwhile! I'm watching Pete's Dragon and the guy is selling snake-oil at the moment... ironic timing.

anyone know what works on the temples? my temples have receded recently alot further back.
    Ive been really stressed and busy to keep my regime constant.

I need a Doctors opinion here. since i was losing my hair in 2007 i did do somewhat of a crash diet. I ate the same thing everyday for about 5 months with some other stuff here and there but it always remaind the same. Letuce Salmon rice and Miso Soup. With nothing but water to drink. Once a day Everyday i worked. (since the food is free at work). And if i got hungry at home i would eat a flaxseed bar with 2 bottles of water or a ham sandwich. This continued all throughout the summer until about the end of october. I guess you can consider it a crash diet since i lost roughly around 80 pounds. I went from weighing 274 lbs early march to 188 lbs at the end of october. Size 44 to size 34. But i only maintained the 188lbs for about a month then i gained weight to 200lbs and have maintained that weight ever since with some adding and losing here and there. Could i be experiencing Telogen effluvium??? Just a question. If so how can i stop it? i mean my hair is there and its grown now but when i wet it and comb it out it looks as if im not a victim of hairloss. Ill provide pictures of what i mean....

Dirty Before Shower

Dirty Pulled Back

Out of the shower Wet Untouched

Wet combed Back

Towel Dried and picked out

What can i do to thicken up those spots i have major visibility to the scalp? or how can i thicken and regrow the hairline area??? Please help me. Im becoming more and more depressed everyday...