+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Before reading your posts here, I just read another post you did on another thread about you not taking Propecia b/c of impotence.

I am going to be frank with you. Stop worrying about impotence on Propecia because it doesn't happen very often. In fact, there is a 98% chance of it not happening, which sounds great to me. Come on, you've read around this site I'm sure and your still concerned with the impotence thing, knowing that in the unlikely chance of it actually happening it will go away pretty soon if you stop taking the medication. It does NOTHING long term, just inhibits an enzyme, as soon as you stop, it will not continue to inhibit that enzyme and your testosterone/DHT levels will go back to normal.

Also, I take 7.5 times the recommended dosage of Propecia (which is 1mg), and I can tell you there are absolutely no problems sexually, IN FACT since I've been on the drug (almost 3 years now), my sex drive has actually increased quite a bit, probably because the testosterone that would have converted to DHT, remains testosterone so I have a lot more than before taking the drug.

So my question to you is how long are you going to waste time? Your asking for help and advice, and knowledgeable people here are telling you what are your best options, but you complain about costs when your spending more time and money on unproven treatments when Finasteride could be doing wonders right now. Why?

because i dont want to depend on a pill for the rest of my life. I do not have insurance since the way things are, and are getting worse.
    I mean sure i can go to a doctor, get a prescription and take it but how long before i know if this pill will cause sexual side effects? What if it doesnt even work..... then what.... I mean its a shot with this pill but you run the risk of loosing more hair than what u already had, plus Im losing hair at my temples. this doesnt work there.....

Quote Originally Posted by d0072 View Post
    because i dont want to depend on a pill for the rest of my life. I do not have insurance since the way things are, and are getting worse.
    I mean sure i can go to a doctor, get a prescription and take it but how long before i know if this pill will cause sexual side effects? What if it doesnt even work..... then what.... I mean its a shot with this pill but you run the risk of loosing more hair than what u already had, plus Im losing hair at my temples. this doesnt work there.....
    I'm just trying to understand everything that you are saying. First off, your not dependent on a pill for the rest of your life. If you are on Finasteride for a while and decide to get off of it for whatever reason, you will be fine, the benefits you gained while on the drug will be lost, but there will be nothing wrong with you physically. But you have to also realize that ANY treatment you use for your hair loss will require you to keep using it to maintain its benefit.

I really don't understand why you are so afraid of this drug. This drug has been on the market since 1993 I believe and has been very well tolerated. Also, like I said before, IF you have any sexual side effects, they WILL go away if you stop taking the drug. Are you worried about shedding? Unfortunately, this comes with most hair loss treatments, but it is also a great sign, which signals that the treatment is working.

As far as the temple region goes, it is believed that Finasteride DOES help in all areas of scalp hair. However, it has been known to be more difficult to regrow hair in the temple region than in the crown. But what you SHOULD consider is that you would probably be able to STOP the progression of your hair loss, which is a miracle. I really feel like this would help you, but it is all up to you and it is your decision. I'm not the only one telling you this, I hope you don't regret anything later.

-Destin

p.s. I want to reiterate again, that I am taking 7.5mg of Finasteride a day compared to the 1mg, and I have had nothing but great results, with an increased sex drive. Lastly, the money you spend on other treatments, you could be cutting Proscar tablets for the same price and likely will have better benefits

Alright, im pretty fed up with my hairloss. Its the third comment i recieve this week and i think its pretty heart shattering.. How do i get a prescription for Finateride? is the generic version as effective as propecia? do i need insurance to get the prescription? Do i need a new prescription every month?? How long before i see results or see hair shedding to reduce??

Quote Originally Posted by d0072 View Post
    Alright, im pretty fed up with my hairloss. Its the third comment i recieve this week and i think its pretty heart shattering.. How do i get a prescription for Finateride? is the generic version as effective as propecia? do i need insurance to get the prescription? Do i need a new prescription every month?? How long before i see results or see hair shedding to reduce??
    To get a prescription for finasteride you can go to your family doctor or to a dermatoligist. Make sure that they diagnose you with Male Pattern Baldness and not something else like DUPA (Diffused Unpattern Alopecia) or any other type of Alopecia. If you doctor does confirm that you have MPB, then tell him that you are interested in taking Proscar and cutting up the tablets. I tell my doctor to write "Finasteride 5mg" on the prescription. The prescription lasts for one full year and if you get a 30 day supply of Finasteride 5mg (Proscar) you can then cut that up in 4ths, and one 30 day supply will last you 4 months.

You don't need insurance in getting a prescription, I believe that it is 70 dollars for a 30-day supply of Finasteride 5mg at Walgreens, but you pay this only every 4 months. So that only makes it $17.50 a month, which isn't bad.

I take the generic Finasteride 5mg and the manufacturer is TEVA, which is the world's largest generic drug manufacturer. It is a very effective drug and you are getting the full 5mg that you pay for. To make sure that you are getting the TEVA generic it has 93/7355 written on each side of the pill.

There is no telling if/when it will stop your shed, and you may even have a shed at first, however, this does mean that it is working. I had a small shed when I first started taking Finasteride and when I increased my dosage. However, the follicles that came back were thicker and better. The shed period took place about month 3 for me, but everything was better by month 7. I hope this helps.

-Destin

Thanks for the reply.

Now do i ask for Proscar or do i take whatever the doctor gives me? I mean i want to get that 5mg one were i take in 4ths.