+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Hair Transplant Instruments Makes Hair Restoration Faster and Easier |SAFE SCRIBE

IAHRS Member Dr. James Harris introduces a new motorized device to perform FUE hair transplant surgery.

Read article:
    Revolutionary New Hair Replacement Instrument Makes Hair Replacement Faster and Easier

"Faster speed means it can potentially reduce the cost of surgery."

Great news... hopefully it will decrease the costs significantly.

the only thing that will drive down the price is if more docs are doing FUE the same way or similar way with similar results.

Simple perfect competition, natural economic law governing the free market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 4000 View Post
    the only thing that will drive down the price is if more docs are doing FUE the same way or similar way with similar results.

Simple perfect competition, natural economic law governing the free market.
    To me the most important thing is safety. I want to know that a procedure works and works well. Even if every doctor who performs hair transplant surgery uses the same protocol and competes against each other the cost will not go down too significantly. It’s a free market society and there will always be plenty of people willing to pay for something good.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

In hair transplantation faster may be cheaper, but not necessarily better. There will always be doctors who try and cut corners by performing the surgeries faster. Faster surgery means more patients which in turn means more money. This type of practice is driven by economics, not patient satisfaction. The only way hair transplant clinics can get away with doing larger volume while maintaining higher quality is by increasing the size of the staff and personally watching over them like a hawk. It can be done, but is rare. In most cases the attention to detail fades along with patient satisfaction.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

I have always respected Dr. Harris for his honesty and approach to hair transplantation. He has been performing FUE for quite some time with success.

With that said, the introduction of speed to the process of FUE seems to be the most damaging factor to the end result.

Extracting the grafts faster means handling the grafts faster, moving them faster and due to the high extraction, that means the clinic will busy themselves placing the grafts faster.

In observing the procedure numerous times and speaking to those involved in the surgery, I believe the greatest damage to the actual graft is #1-extracting the graft from the scalp---there is a certain amount of tearing involved regardless of method. #2 handling/placing of the grafts. It takes experienced, dedicated, and caring staff to place fragile FUE grafts. It is my opinion that that improper handling/placing of the grafts is the root cause for most poor results.

I have no issue with speed. However, there is always a balance. It is no surprise that the introduction of speed to the process seems to reduce the efficacy of the entire procedure.

My point through all of this is that while a great engineer such as Dr. Harris can produce a safer method of scoring the grafts......the entire process and all hands involved carry risk. The tool and hand wielding it is only one step in the process.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.