+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to tell the Doc??

Hey guys.

I think I'm in the early stages of hair loss but I'd prefer to be proactive rather than waiting and it be too late to do something about it.

Trouble is, I find it kind of embarrasing bringing it up at the docs - especially as it's not a 'health issue', certainly in the eyes of a lot of doctors.

Has anybody found this to be the case? And have you a good approach to bring it up and discuss it with your doc.

Like, what should I ask about also? Should I ask to see a trichologist?

Thanks

No go straight to your gp and ask him for a script of propecia or proscar generic, buy some nizoral shampoo and rogaine 5 percent from the chemist, don't be ashamed to ask your gp most young men are on propecia

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlocks View Post
    Hey guys.

I think I'm in the early stages of hair loss but I'd prefer to be proactive rather than waiting and it be too late to do something about it.

Trouble is, I find it kind of embarrasing bringing it up at the docs - especially as it's not a 'health issue', certainly in the eyes of a lot of doctors.

Has anybody found this to be the case? And have you a good approach to bring it up and discuss it with your doc.

Like, what should I ask about also? Should I ask to see a trichologist?

Thanks
    There are risks associated with just about every medication. I personally use Rogaine but I don't think it helps all that much. I have never taken Propecia or Avodart. With just about any medication, there are risks and the rare, more severe side effects. Although I really hated losing my hair, if I could do it over, I still wouldn't have taken Propecia or Avodart. Working at Dr. Cole's office, I hear a variety of opinions and experiences related to these two drugs. They do work without issues for some men.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Which is more embarrassing? Asking your doctor in private for a prescription, or going bald for the whole world to see.

Go talk to your doc

Don't feel at all embarrassed about seeing your doctor. Just think about all of the things that he/she does/sees on a regular basis. I just told mine that I noticed my hair was thinning a bit and he took a look and said well I can give you a prescription for Finaseride or Rogaine, or both, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    No go straight to your gp and ask him for a script of propecia or proscar generic, buy some nizoral shampoo and rogaine 5 percent from the chemist, don't be ashamed to ask your gp most young men are on propecia
    First ask what the doctor thinks

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    Which is more embarrassing? Asking your doctor in private for a prescription, or going bald for the whole world to see.

Go talk to your doc
    Good point! I’ve booked in to see the doc anyway. Should I ask to see a trichologist just so I can find out about the health of my hair? Also a second opinion won’t hurt surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Don't feel at all embarrassed about seeing your doctor. Just think about all of the things that he/she does/sees on a regular basis. I just told mine that I noticed my hair was thinning a bit and he took a look and said well I can give you a prescription for Finaseride or Rogaine, or both, your choice.
    Thank you that was very reassuring. I will take this approach when I go the docs this week :-/

Thanks for all the responses guys. At the moment I have recession at the temples and forehead. It’s just beginning to get noticeable.

All the hair is still there but there is like a 2-3cm margin where the hair is very fine just before it hits the thicker stuff. Like I can see the hair but it doesn’t get picked up in photos even though it still grows to a decent length. I’d love to save this 2-3cm margin but fear it may be too late :-/

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlocks View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. At the moment I have recession at the temples and forehead. It’s just beginning to get noticeable.

All the hair is still there but there is like a 2-3cm margin where the hair is very fine just before it hits the thicker stuff. Like I can see the hair but it doesn’t get picked up in photos even though it still grows to a decent length. I’d love to save this 2-3cm margin but fear it may be too late :-/
    Dude you have to get on Finasteride NOW.

Trust me I have been in your situation, you do NOT want to lose that 3cm margin of hair.

It will make a HUGE difference in how attractive your face is, especially in photos.

Save it while you can.

The only thing you can possibly ever regret is not starting treatment as early as you could have.

Consider yourself already late.

I know I sound dramatic this time but I was in your exact same situation not too long ago, the experience is still fresh in my mind.