X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gingerlocks
    • Apr 2013

How to tell the Doc??

Hey guys.

I think I'm in the early stages of hair loss but I'd prefer to be proactive rather than waiting and it be too late to do something about it.

Trouble is, I find it kind of embarrasing bringing it up at the docs - especially as it's not a 'health issue', certainly in the eyes of a lot of doctors.

Has anybody found this to be the case? And have you a good approach to bring it up and discuss it with your doc.

Like, what should I ask about also? Should I ask to see a trichologist?

Thanks
  • thechamp
    • Jan 2011

No go straight to your gp and ask him for a script of propecia or proscar generic, buy some nizoral shampoo and rogaine 5 percent from the chemist, don't be ashamed to ask your gp most young men are on propecia

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
      Doctor Representative
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by gingerlocks
      Hey guys.

I think I'm in the early stages of hair loss but I'd prefer to be proactive rather than waiting and it be too late to do something about it.

Trouble is, I find it kind of embarrasing bringing it up at the docs - especially as it's not a 'health issue', certainly in the eyes of a lot of doctors.

Has anybody found this to be the case? And have you a good approach to bring it up and discuss it with your doc.

Like, what should I ask about also? Should I ask to see a trichologist?

Thanks
      There are risks associated with just about every medication. I personally use Rogaine but I don't think it helps all that much. I have never taken Propecia or Avodart. With just about any medication, there are risks and the rare, more severe side effects. Although I really hated losing my hair, if I could do it over, I still wouldn't have taken Propecia or Avodart. Working at Dr. Cole's office, I hear a variety of opinions and experiences related to these two drugs. They do work without issues for some men.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
      forhair.com
      Cole Hair Transplant
      1045 Powers Place
      Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
      Phone 678-566-1011
      email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
      Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• mmmcoffee
        • Oct 2012

Which is more embarrassing? Asking your doctor in private for a prescription, or going bald for the whole world to see.

Go talk to your doc

Comment

• Buster
          • Jul 2012

Don't feel at all embarrassed about seeing your doctor. Just think about all of the things that he/she does/sees on a regular basis. I just told mine that I noticed my hair was thinning a bit and he took a look and said well I can give you a prescription for Finaseride or Rogaine, or both, your choice.

Comment

• howers
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by thechamp
            No go straight to your gp and ask him for a script of propecia or proscar generic, buy some nizoral shampoo and rogaine 5 percent from the chemist, don't be ashamed to ask your gp most young men are on propecia
            First ask what the doctor thinks

Comment

• gingerlocks
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by mmmcoffee
              Which is more embarrassing? Asking your doctor in private for a prescription, or going bald for the whole world to see.

Go talk to your doc
              Good point! I’ve booked in to see the doc anyway. Should I ask to see a trichologist just so I can find out about the health of my hair? Also a second opinion won’t hurt surely?

Comment

• gingerlocks
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Buster
                Don't feel at all embarrassed about seeing your doctor. Just think about all of the things that he/she does/sees on a regular basis. I just told mine that I noticed my hair was thinning a bit and he took a look and said well I can give you a prescription for Finaseride or Rogaine, or both, your choice.
                Thank you that was very reassuring. I will take this approach when I go the docs this week :-/

Comment

• gingerlocks
                  • Apr 2013

Thanks for all the responses guys. At the moment I have recession at the temples and forehead. It’s just beginning to get noticeable.

All the hair is still there but there is like a 2-3cm margin where the hair is very fine just before it hits the thicker stuff. Like I can see the hair but it doesn’t get picked up in photos even though it still grows to a decent length. I’d love to save this 2-3cm margin but fear it may be too late :-/

Comment

• capitan
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by gingerlocks
                    Thanks for all the responses guys. At the moment I have recession at the temples and forehead. It’s just beginning to get noticeable.

All the hair is still there but there is like a 2-3cm margin where the hair is very fine just before it hits the thicker stuff. Like I can see the hair but it doesn’t get picked up in photos even though it still grows to a decent length. I’d love to save this 2-3cm margin but fear it may be too late :-/
                    Dude you have to get on Finasteride NOW.

Trust me I have been in your situation, you do NOT want to lose that 3cm margin of hair.

It will make a HUGE difference in how attractive your face is, especially in photos.

Save it while you can.

The only thing you can possibly ever regret is not starting treatment as early as you could have.

Consider yourself already late.

I know I sound dramatic this time but I was in your exact same situation not too long ago, the experience is still fresh in my mind.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by thechamp
                      Do you reckon most young men are on it? I would have thought not but thinking about it now I've seen a few of my friends' hair loss stop right in its tracks while my own hair continues to disappear like a forest fire.

Comment

• medion1
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
                        Do you reckon most young men are on it?.
                        Of course they're not, dont be rediculous. What a weird little "baldness forum" world you are in if you think that most young men are on finasteride.

I'm from the UK and can tell you that 99.9999999% of young men have never heard of finasteride.

Comment

• strife91
                          • Nov 2013

Try having ur doctor inspecting ur junk haha talking about hairless was no sweat

Comment

• burtandernie
                            • Nov 2012

As kind of a side note how are we 20 years after propecia and still there is not a single FDA approved topical for MPB yet? It baffles me how such a topical problem needs a dangerous internal medication to treat even decades after knowing how critical androgens are to it all. There are thousands of products that need to penetrate and deliver payloads through skin or other tissue barriers how is vehicle still an issue? Its like every company reinvents the wheel while we wait many years

Comment

Working...