+ Reply to Thread

Default Could I have DUPA?

I am almost 30 years old, have been suffering from hair loss since I was about 20. The last 3-4 years I have lost a whole lot though.
    My worst area is the crown, but I have a general need for grafts basically all over.
    I think I am possible a NW3++.
    I also know I have a limited donor, but I desperately want to try the HT route, which is why I did a HST with dr Gho about six months ago.
    I am hoping that future multiplication techniques will help me do more transplants in the future.

However, now I have gotten a very bad feeling.
    During the last years I have seen some thinning of my sides and back aswell. I think this has gotten a little worse now. I am now extremely worried that I may have DUPA! If that's what I have, I guess my only hope (which is to have future hair transplants) is ruined as well!! :/

How can I get a real diagnose to know if I actually have DUPA or not?
    Is there some clinic in Europe I can visit about this matter?
    What are your opinions?
    I mean, I guess as long as not my limited donor grafts start falling out in the future I could possible do more HT:s if improved multiplication techniques reach the market?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg

Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	23740   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	23741   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	23742  

Nobody? :/

It looks like it could be but it's hard to tell sometimes and I can't make a call I'm not qualified to make... Maybe see a doctor who specializes in hair near by?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Did Dr. Gho think you have DUPA?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Did Dr. Gho think you have DUPA?

Well...actually dr Gho himself didn't perform the procedure. It was performed at Hasci in London with dr Deborah Smaall and the technicians.
    The thought about possible DUPA was never even discussed with them. At that time I didn't have any idea that I could possibly have DUPA, so I didn't ask them anything about that, and they also didn't say anything to me about it.
    So I guess they were either not observant enough to notice possible risk of DUPA or they just didn't think I could have it?
    Perhaps it is a very rare occurance for them and it didn't cross their minds?

It should also be noted that I also met dr Gho himself in Amsterdam.
    During a consultation with Dr Deborah Smaall dr Gho also came by the consultation and looked at my hair for a brief moment. He didn't give me any comments about possible DUPA either. But also I didn't ask anything about it, of course.

Thank you for your interest in this.
    Please give me your opinion if possible. I know it's very hard to be accurate without a physical meeting...

Unhappy

Anyone else?

I'm not a transplant surgeon, but I'm 99% positive that you don't have DUPA. Like the acronym says, DUPA is unpatterned hair loss. That means you don't bald in the classic, MPB Norwood fashion. People erroneously take this to mean that if you have classic MPB, you won't shed from the "horseshoe" region. That's not accurate. Take a look at NW 6-7 guys that you encounter; many of them have thin horseshoe areas. They don't have DUPA, but MPB has caused them to lose some hair from the horseshoe while still retaining that pattern. You're thinning around the nape of your neck, which is extremely common among guys with MPB. Lots of balding guys don't retain a strong "neckline." Mine has thinned a bit at the fringes, and I'm just a NW 1.5-2. So yeah, you might get a little thin at the bottom of the neck and around the ear/temples. But I'd bet my life that you DON'T have DUPA. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I'm not a transplant surgeon, but I'm 99% positive that you don't have DUPA. Like the acronym says, DUPA is unpatterned hair loss. That means you don't bald in the classic, MPB Norwood fashion. People erroneously take this to mean that if you have classic MPB, you won't shed from the "horseshoe" region. That's not accurate. Take a look at NW 6-7 guys that you encounter; many of them have thin horseshoe areas. They don't have DUPA, but MPB has caused them to lose some hair from the horseshoe while still retaining that pattern. You're thinning around the nape of your neck, which is extremely common among guys with MPB. Lots of balding guys don't retain a strong "neckline." Mine has thinned a bit at the fringes, and I'm just a NW 1.5-2. So yeah, you might get a little thin at the bottom of the neck and around the ear/temples. But I'd bet my life that you DON'T have DUPA. Hope that helps.
    Thank you very much for your reply. This was kind of positive news for me.

I guess it is likely that I just have aggressive male hairloss then, which is of course bad. But DUPA would be even worse, because that would severely reduce my possibilities of having hair transplants I guess.
    And....it is not likely that I have MPB and DUPA at the same time then?

Quote Originally Posted by censur View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply. This was kind of positive news for me.

I guess it is likely that I just have aggressive male hairloss then, which is of course bad. But DUPA would be even worse, because that would severely reduce my possibilities of having hair transplants I guess.
    And....it is not likely that I have MPB and DUPA at the same time then?
    No. Not likely. There's nothing about the appearance of your hair that is consistent with DUPA. You have some slight thinning in your permanent area, but it's very normal. I actually think the thinning at the nape of your neck is very mild. Mine is a bit worse, despite my being a lower Norwood. It just happens.