+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil Treatment w/o Ethanol

Hello,

I have posted in the Hair Loss treatment topic as well, but I have recieved no replies. So I think maybe this is a more appropriate topic to post under.

I don't want to/cannot use ethanol for personal reasons. I am looking to start using minoxidil alongside derma rolling. I was looking for some general tips and a few answers. I appreciate any advice.

1. How effective do you think a minox solution w/o ethanol would be? There are a few products that are free of ethanol and only use PPG/Glycerin leading me to think that it is ok.

2. Do you guys know of any minox solutions free of ethanol? The only product I have found still on the market is Belgravia Center's 10% minox + Glycerin + Azelaic Acid cream. It is way too freaking expensive.

3. The only thing I can think of is having a pharmacy compound a mixture for me. I wouldn't mind this, but I don't know what formula, percentages to use. What formula would you suggest? Any comments about the application, feel, side effects of PPG, Glycerin, Azelaic Acid, etc?

4. Would you recommend once-a-day 5% minox, twice-a-day 5% minox, once-a-day 10% minox, twice-a-day 10% minox, etc? Would you recommend starting out with the smallest treatment and gradually increasing the dosage to save the big guns for the later years? Or starting out with the max amount possible etc?

Please. I would appreciate your comments. I've prolonged beginning minox for months only for this reason. I cannot seem to find a viable route that fits my requirements or answers my questions.

Thank you very much.

Comon, guys. Over 90 views into the topic and not even one response?

This is getting frustrating. I've waited for 2 weeks to have my account activated + the 3 months I've been researching minoxidil and other treatments. That's a long time of waiting and I'm past ready to start a treatment.

Just a simple question.

What minoxidil treatments are there that don't contain ethanol. Are they any good? What's better; PPG or Glycerin?

hey bro sorry to hear you can't use regular rogaine. just wanted to reply so you don't lose hope with getting an answer, but honestly, most people on here are better at 1. spotting if people are balding 2. what norwood 3. past experiences 4. and just an ear to talk too. Been on here for a while and wish I could help but i'm sure someone will have an answer dude! Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by user1991 View Post
    hey bro sorry to hear you can't use regular rogaine. just wanted to reply so you don't lose hope with getting an answer, but honestly, most people on here are better at 1. spotting if people are balding 2. what norwood 3. past experiences 4. and just an ear to talk too. Been on here for a while and wish I could help but i'm sure someone will have an answer dude! Peace!
    Thanks a lot for the answer bro.

I might cave in and end up having to go with Belgravia's 900$ a year cream supply but I'm gonna feel really ripped off knowing othear treatments like Rogaine are like 400$.

Only if I had some basic knowledge about compounding and vehicles, I could utilize a local pharmacy. I think that seems to be the most viable option.

You can order minoxidle (or minoxidle sulphate) in powder form, and buy a seperate vehicle without ethanol to add it to

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    You can order minoxidle (or minoxidle sulphate) in powder form, and buy a seperate vehicle without ethanol to add it to
    Thanks for the reply Dan.

Is there anything I should be aware when compounding? Do I have to be aware of any delicacies in the process or mixture balance/formula percentages?

Can you give some basic info about the difference between minoxidil and minoxidil sulphate? Which one to choose?

Also, what are the different vehicles that can be used? Glycerin, PG, and anything else? I've heard Coconut oil and Aloe Vera being thrown around? Do you have any idea about their effectiveness and general feel?

No problem brother.

All you really need is a milligram scale to measure it all out. eg measure out 500mg of minox powder, chuck it in 10ml of your vehicle, and ya got 10 days worth of 5% minox solution.

Minox Sulphate is just the active form of minox (an enzyme on your scalp chanes minox into its active sulphate form, so for poor minoxidil responders this is a good option). However, minox sulphate is not stable long so you have to make frequent bathes, but even when it becomes unstable it is just turning into normal minox so it does't really matter lol. Not sure what to suggest for you specifically, perhaps start/stick with the traditional minox and change to sulphate if you want better results.

Really don't know much about vehicles outside of the traditional carriers man (pg, ethanol, water, glycerine, dmso, dmi etc)...You said you saw minox products that used glycerine/PG? So that could be worth a shot. Not sure why you cant use ethanol, but PG is a bit of an irritant for some and can cause peeling/inflammation (i have a sensitive scalp and it works ok for me personally)

Other vehicles are nano solutions, which are kind of hard to get a hold of. I know of someone who makes a cream vehicle which can hold minox, and a custom liquid vehicle wiithout ethanol aswell, but not sure if it holds minox