+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to expect? Propecia to Avodart (and my story)

Hi Guys
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hope you can give me some insightful advice.
    My story so far:
    I'm 33, started taking Propecia 6 years and 2 months ago.
    I had alot of success with Propecia. I luckily caught my hair loss right at the very begining (noticed a slight thinning in some hairs), and through taking Propecia I was able to maintain a basically full head of hair and a mature hairline for the last 6 years. Very very slight recession at temple that occurred around 18-19, looks natural.
    In the last few months it seemed that Propecia was starting to loose its effectiveness and I noticed my hair looked a bit thinner, especially in sunlight.
    So, decided now was the time to switch to Avodart, seeing that it appears that I haven't actually "lost" any hair yet, just getting thinner.
    I was able to get an online prescription for name-brand Avodart and picked it up from my local pharmacy.
    Today is my 3rd day on the stuff.
    I've spent many hours online browsing forums and such looking for some answers, and finally figured it was time to just ask on here and hopefully all of your expertise with help me resolve my questions.
    Here they are:

In generally what can I expect while switching from Propecia to Avodart?

Should I definitely expect a "shed"? (I did on Propecia, with good results of regrowth)

If I do shed, what sort of timeframe am I looking at?

I have a month and a half of Propecia left. Read a lot to just discontinue use, but I am considering just finishing it out, while I make the transition. Advice on that??

I am hoping for a lot of thickening up of hair, is that to be expected?

How many more years can I hope to get out of Avodart?

And any other general advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Good Luck everyone and thanks again!

J

I went off propecia about 3 and a half months ago after being off and on it for years. I started Avodart then. At about 2 and a half months in I noticed a lot of thickening and can say I am pleased with results so far. I started using rogaine foam at the same time but I think the med is what is doing the trick.

Please keep us updated on how your switch to Avodart goes. If Fin doesn't hold off my MPB, that is my next course of action.

Don't abandon your own thread like many guys seem to do when they are successful!

Thanks for the info. I hope if does the trick for me too
    And I will definitely update my progress. I found it frustrating that most guys don't follow up, so I definitely will and hopefully it will be a resource to consult

Quote Originally Posted by capitan View Post
    Please keep us updated on how your switch to Avodart goes. If Fin doesn't hold off my MPB, that is my next course of action.

Don't abandon your own thread like many guys seem to do when they are successful!
    He will leave us. They all do. Since I have been here I have seen some of the greats leave and not return.

Two weeks in. Maybe started shedding a bit, but hard to say for sure just yet. Had slightly upset stomach last week, but has gone away (not sure if its related, but figured it was worth mentioning). Noticed a few random hairs coming in, but too early to say if it is the avodart, or just natural regrowth. Took one propecia every night for the first week, now doing 1/2 one night, full pill the next, etc. my eventual plan with propecia is going to be 1/2 every night, till my supply runs out (about two more months). I read lots saying it was redundant taking propecia with avodart, but figured I'd run out my supply. Plus, weaning off of any medication while transitioning to another seems worth the effort. I'll update when more changes occur.
    Wish me luck

I started taking Avo w/ my fin in February. Definitely had a diffuse shed and it has not regrown appreciably. Dropped fin a few weeks ago, now I just take .5mg Avo and .5mg Dutagen every day

I have vellus hairs expanding past the borders of my temples (esp the right side) but it is not cosmetically significant. I have blond midget hairs sprouting up to my pre-MPB hairline....again not significant cosmetically

So far the switch has been disappointing. If I am not above baseline after 1 year I might go on oral spiro. Actually I am not sure I can wait the full year.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I started taking Avo w/ my fin in February. Definitely had a diffuse shed and it has not regrown appreciably. Dropped fin a few weeks ago, now I just take .5mg Avo and .5mg Dutagen every day

I have vellus hairs expanding past the borders of my temples (esp the right side) but it is not cosmetically significant. I have blond midget hairs sprouting up to my pre-MPB hairline....again not significant cosmetically

So far the switch has been disappointing. If I am not above baseline after 1 year I might go on oral spiro. Actually I am not sure I can wait the full year.
    Isn't the recommended dose of Dut .5mg? Are you still side effect free? I think I remember you saying you take both because you are unsure if your generic dut is legit, but i personally would be concerned taking more than the recommended dose since it is a stronger med. Good luck though, and hopefully you start seeing some good results soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post

What is oral spiro ???

Ok I went online to look it up.

Question

Where can I purchase 5% Topical Spironolactone???