+ Reply to Thread

Default Hello (first post)

After over 2 years of being a reader of this forum/website, I've finally decided to register and make my first post. I have a feeling this is going to be long, but I'll try to be keep it down... haha

I am sure I do not need to bore you with the details of how depressing hair loss is, although I am taking it a lot harder than most. I take no shame in admitting I am vain. Before the hairloss (or before it became apparent enough), I was often complimented for my looks and was very confident about myself - I guess that is part of the reason why hairloss has been particularly hard for me. I've become so tired of feeling inadequate, helpless and sad.

So about me:
    -Age: 22. Yes, I know I am young, but for those of you who had to face hairloss at such young age, you will understand it is even harder precisely because we are so young.
    -Race: East-Asian. Unfortunately, I've gathered that us East-Asians are one of the worst candidates for hair transplant. As luck would have it, I have one of the worst qualities (jet black hair, light skin, fine straight hair)
    -Current regimen: Minoxidil 5% twice per day, Propecia (everyday)
    -Hairloss situation: NW2 and highly likely to go up the scale (receding hairline, general thinning top)

I've always had high forehead and thin hair (from my mother's side) so balding was not something on my mind... until it became apparent that I was (funny since I inherited the thin fine hair from my maternal side, but the only bald person in my entire family tree is on my paternal side! Go figure!).

By the time I was 21, I started getting well-meaning but awfully hurtful comments from people that I was balding, especially from those who had not seen me for a long time.

I started my Minoxidil and Propecia regimen and it has been 10 months now. Fortunately, I have responded quite well to these "treatments" as my bald spot in the crown area has shrunk considerably and some new growth (although poor quality) is noticeable. Not surprisingly, however, my hairline did not respond to these treatments at all and I believe I have actually receded a little during the last 10 months, although I feel like the treatments allowed me to slow it down considerably.

I have noticed that many young guys who post up desperate posts on this forum are told to calm down, be rational, do research, and go on the FDA approved treatments asap. Let me assure you that I have done A LOT of research and am still able to make rational decisions. And I have gone on the FDA treatments, and believe I have already reached my maximum potential benefit with these treatments. While I am very thankful that I am one of the lucky ones to see good results in the crown area, my receding hairline and general thinning top has really been putting me down... so I inevitably became interested in hair transplant.

Having been an almost obsessed researcher in this area, I am already well versed in who the top HT doctors are, what they specialize in, risks, etc.
    Unfortunately, I live in Asia where such doctors are out of reach, but I am willing to travel to the other side of the planet for a good HT. I did, however, go for free consultation with a HT doctor in my town, and told me I am a NW2 and I should schedule a surgery for 1500 grafts to lower my hairline by 1cm (there were also many other concerning things about this doc that made me run out the door).

My paternal grandfather was a NW6 or 7 by the time he was in his 60s. So I understand that my future is not bright.

Despite being aware of all this, I am making this first post because I am still open to comments and suggestions. I am wondering if there are others who are in a similar situation, or those who have compelling opinions as to why I should/should not go ahead with an invasive procedure. I hope I get to have some support and feedback from this community. I am so thankful that there is a community of people on the internet like this - it's been a real comfort to know that I am not alone (and believe me, sometimes it does feel like that when I'm surrounded by friends with perfect hair), and I've learnt a great deal.

-FCK (Follically Challenged Kid)

Quote Originally Posted by follicallychallengedkid View Post
    After over 2 years of being a reader of this forum/website, I've finally decided to register and make my first post. I have a feeling this is going to be long, but I'll try to be keep it down... haha

I am sure I do not need to bore you with the details of how depressing hair loss is, although I am taking it a lot harder than most. I take no shame in admitting I am vain. Before the hairloss (or before it became apparent enough), I was often complimented for my looks and was very confident about myself - I guess that is part of the reason why hairloss has been particularly hard for me. I've become so tired of feeling inadequate, helpless and sad.

So about me:
    -Age: 22. Yes, I know I am young, but for those of you who had to face hairloss at such young age, you will understand it is even harder precisely because we are so young.
    -Race: East-Asian. Unfortunately, I've gathered that us East-Asians are one of the worst candidates for hair transplant. As luck would have it, I have one of the worst qualities (jet black hair, light skin, fine straight hair)
    -Current regimen: Minoxidil 5% twice per day, Propecia (everyday)
    -Hairloss situation: NW2 and highly likely to go up the scale (receding hairline, general thinning top)

I've always had high forehead and thin hair (from my mother's side) so balding was not something on my mind... until it became apparent that I was (funny since I inherited the thin fine hair from my maternal side, but the only bald person in my entire family tree is on my paternal side! Go figure!).

By the time I was 21, I started getting well-meaning but awfully hurtful comments from people that I was balding, especially from those who had not seen me for a long time.

I started my Minoxidil and Propecia regimen and it has been 10 months now. Fortunately, I have responded quite well to these "treatments" as my bald spot in the crown area has shrunk considerably and some new growth (although poor quality) is noticeable. Not surprisingly, however, my hairline did not respond to these treatments at all and I believe I have actually receded a little during the last 10 months, although I feel like the treatments allowed me to slow it down considerably.

I have noticed that many young guys who post up desperate posts on this forum are told to calm down, be rational, do research, and go on the FDA approved treatments asap. Let me assure you that I have done A LOT of research and am still able to make rational decisions. And I have gone on the FDA treatments, and believe I have already reached my maximum potential benefit with these treatments. While I am very thankful that I am one of the lucky ones to see good results in the crown area, my receding hairline and general thinning top has really been putting me down... so I inevitably became interested in hair transplant.

Having been an almost obsessed researcher in this area, I am already well versed in who the top HT doctors are, what they specialize in, risks, etc.
    Unfortunately, I live in Asia where such doctors are out of reach, but I am willing to travel to the other side of the planet for a good HT. I did, however, go for free consultation with a HT doctor in my town, and told me I am a NW2 and I should schedule a surgery for 1500 grafts to lower my hairline by 1cm (there were also many other concerning things about this doc that made me run out the door).

My paternal grandfather was a NW6 or 7 by the time he was in his 60s. So I understand that my future is not bright.

Despite being aware of all this, I am making this first post because I am still open to comments and suggestions. I am wondering if there are others who are in a similar situation, or those who have compelling opinions as to why I should/should not go ahead with an invasive procedure. I hope I get to have some support and feedback from this community. I am so thankful that there is a community of people on the internet like this - it's been a real comfort to know that I am not alone (and believe me, sometimes it does feel like that when I'm surrounded by friends with perfect hair), and I've learnt a great deal.

-FCK (Follically Challenged Kid)
    FCK- your post was indeed informative, and (in my opinion) you only had one thing wrong. You called a transplant an "invasive procedure." I didn't find it so, but I had an FUE (no incision). Google "hair transplant fun" or search that on YouTube and you'll see my video about it. It's not that bad. Honestly, what would be holding me back is your long plane flight, which will not doubt be more trouble than the transplant!

You are young matey and due to the fact you are responding well to meds i would stick with them for the time being and see how well they actually help as you could have more to gain from them. Do not rush into anything and understand all HT methods are surgery. Keep well documented pics of your progress too in my opinion to help you see actaully how you get on with the meds.

Research, Resaerch , Research!

This is a late reply but maybe you will still be around to read this post

I am also East Asian but I do not believe my hair is fine more medium and straight (strong and it sticks out like a hedge hog cut too short)

If you are in fact thinning on top and in the crown you will be more a norwood 3 and not a 2. A norwood 2 is a mature receeded hairline but full on top from what I have read and seen

I am 33 and a norwood 3-4 and on Propecia for nearly three years. I do not know if I have grown any I think its halted or slowed down my hair loss

Definitely do not lower the hairline that would be a huge no no. Higher hairline needs to be sacraficed if you go the HT route to create a better density up top