+ Reply to Thread

Default If you had serious SHEDDING/breakage, what would you do differently now?

My hair is shedding ridiculous amount and it looks like it won't stop until I lose it all. It's been happening for the past year or so and I just can't get it to stop.

Just this morning, I scratched my scalp in one area, bunch of dandruff came out and then a LOAD of hair. Literally, the hair just starts falling off like nothing is holding it in place.

I got on fin a month ago. Getting on rogaine this week.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has advice on stopping SHEDDING. How do I make it stop!? I'm sick of researching the 1001 possible causes of hairloss. I waste way too much time over it !

Have you ever had blood work done? There are definitely other causes of hair loss besides male pattern baldness, and your description sounds like it might not be standard MPB. If you're losing a ton, especially in response to you touching it, I'd definitely say you should see a doctor, describe what's been happening, and at a minimum get a CBC and thyroid test, as well as perhaps a testosterone test if you haven't already. You also want to make sure it's not alopecia areata.

Beetee,
    I've had blood work done, and like most people, I've had low Vitamin D, but no other conditions. Overall, I'm the 'healthy guy' in my circle. I weight train, work out, eat healthy, don't drink or smoke. Although my biggest downfall would probably be sitting too much throughout the day during the past few years.

Regardless, I'm still fit, low body fat and overall healthy. I mention this just to show that I don't neglect my health at all.

After posting this comment in Oct 2013, I begin taking proscar (finasteride) for about 6 months. At one point, my shedding stopped entirely around Jan-March 2014 and I even had a little bit of regrowth on my hair line. And then I took a break from Proscar after 6 months.

Now in June/August 2014, my aggressive shedding has once again restarted so I'm back on Proscar for the past 2 weeks and will remain on it for at least 6 months to see if it has an impact.

Did you haven't severe Vit D deficiency or just a little low?

I hear you on the fitness thing, I'm just concerned about the amount of shedding and the description that it is almost in response to touching. If you haven't seen a Derm., I would.

Do you thing the shedding is related to the Proscar and starting/stopping it?

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post

I hear you on the fitness thing, I'm just concerned about the amount of shedding and the description that it is almost in response to touching. If you haven't seen a Derm., I would.

Definitely see a derm

its possible beetee not sure though

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post

My Vitamin D was actually severely low, at about a level 10. And this was AFTER I went to Costa Rica for a week in March 2013, got enough sun to practically be sun burned, had my skin peeling all over my body, and I was taking Vitamin D pills throughout the previous winter. I went to a Naturopath to get my blood test done and he suggested that my body wasn't absorbing Vitamin D, so he told me to take Vitamin K pills along with it, which I did. I also took a multivitamin and improved my diet, and this is about the time I began taking proscar for about 6 months.

It's now 8/19/14 and I'm once again in an INTENSE shed phase. I've literally lost over 50% of my hair and I can't get it to stop. My hair's falling on my pillows, in the sink, especially in the shower and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Once again, it falls as if there's nothing holding it in place.

I've had no 'health triggers' during the past few months and there's nothing I could point to as a possible cause.

As for seeing a Derm, I've concluded they don't know much more than we know through our internet searches. In fact, I've seen at least 8 Derms over the years, for my mild acne to my hair shedding in it's initial stages a few years ago and I conclude that Dermatologists are amongst the most useless 'doctors' when it comes to hair loss and some even acne (those who still believe diet has no relation to acne).

A few years ago, I went to a Derm and told her my hair was shedding, she said it was perfectly normal b/c at the time, I still had a full head of hair. So she denied it and said it was 'all in my head'. Then I went to another Derm who told me it's normal but to buy his shampoos/conditioners for healthier hair. Then another Derm who told me there's nothing I can do about it, but to consider rogaine and within 10 years they should have a cure. Then, last year I gave it one last shot, went to a Derm who had great reviews online (all of them had great reviews online), and I paid him $150 to tell me that I should collect the hairs that fall out on a daily basis and then come see him again in 2 weeks to confirm it was severe hairloss.....then what, he'll analyze my condition? He had no input whatsoever on the causes or treatments, didn't suggest a biopsy, nothing. So I didn't bother returning, because I figured the end result would be an Rx for rogaine or propecia. And btw, he was completely bald himself.

I just reviewed my photos over the past 2 years and I've had this consistent hair loss/shedding throughout the years. It stops for a short while but then resumes again. I'm guessing this is the normal phases of permanent hair loss. I can't see my hair regrowing to a thick, healthy hair again.

So now I've been on proscar once again for 3 weeks now. I've also realized it has definitely made my semen watery, and possibly decreased my libido but I DON'T have a problem getting aroused, I still get a 'morning wood', and I can still 'go' about 3-4 times a day (sorry, TMI!).

I swear without my hair, I'll most likely have to figure out a new identity. It's the core of every person. I'm not even a superficial person but there's no escaping this - a bald head changes a person's entire life from the way they're perceived and how they perceive others. Especially, if like me, a bald head doesn't suit your appearance. But, it now serves as motivation to become more successful to compensate for the lack of appearance! I think I'd rather be a bald millionaire, financially free, than a 9-5 working guy will great hair... but that's just me.

Exactly one year later, and I'm back in the INTENSE SHEDDING phase. My hair grew back a considerable amount by May/April 2015, but as soon as the first week of August, like CLOCKWORK I begin an INTENSE SHED! I've again lost over 50% of my hair within the past month.

If the Anagen growth phase is supposed to be 2-6 years, then WHY does my hair grow and fall out on a yearly basis? And yes with each intense shed, I lose significant overall hair count and get closer to balding.

Can anyone explain? Could it be that my hair doesn't have the necessary 'tools' to maintain an extended period of Anagen growth???