+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Generic Propecia - 9 months complete - Not so Good!

Hi everyone,

I started 1mg a day generic propecia back in January (9 months) and am not where I thought I would be. I am 23 years old and when I first started propecia I wasn't losing any hair. My vertex/crown started to thin so it was just a lighter color then the rest of my hair. This freaked me out, looking at my NW7 father every day, I didnt want this to happen to me at this young of an age. From months 1-3 not much happened. Brief side effects in the beginning but were limited to some abdominal and stomach pain. That went away and then the shed started. from months 3-5 I shed a good amount on the crown. Then month 6 looked pretty good. Hair seemed to thicken up a bit in the back.

But then something happened. Months 7-9 have been like a nightmare. I am losing hair like no other. Every time I shower or style my hair or just rub my hands through my hair there is always something coming off. My crown is really bad now to the point where my scalp is showing through. But the shed didnt stop there.... My hairline is also losing a ton of density. I used to have a thick widows peak and that is all but gone.

My question for everyone on here is... Is a late shed like this normal? Could all this hair falling out now come back in the next 3-6 months thicker and turn this around? Or is my MPB just kicking my ass.

Any and all advice would be helpful. Its ironic to think that I started Propecia initially so my hair would be thicker for my brothers wedding. Its coming up in a month and I have no hope my hair gets any better for that. Oh well. Guess these are the cards I was dealt.

Hey dude, sorry to hear the troubles ur going through. I've been doing mad research and this isn't anything unordinary, so don't freak out about 80% of the reviews and people I've read about say at month 18 is when your hair should look the best and when propecia fully kicks in, so there's definitely still hope! It's just about being patient and not freaking out. You're lucky your already half way through! Totally jealous! Just keep on trucking amigo, there's always concealers if you are very worried about ur bros wedding. Wish u luck amigo. Peace!

One thing I heard is that when you are on treatments like minox or fin you can go through synchronized sheds(i think thats what they are called). I don't know if this will happen for the rest of our lives on the treatment or just during the first 18 months. It sucks though. Just when you think you are making progress, you get hit with a shed.

Thanks for the advice, guys... really appreciate it! Yes this is terrible how much hair is falling out. Praying this shed stops soon and I start to see some form of a regrowth.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

The understanding is that shedding is a GOOD thing to happen in most cases when you are on Finasteride.
    All the reputable articles speak of that.
    Don't panic Roadrunner23 .
    Hang in there and stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    One thing I heard is that when you are on treatments like minox or fin you can go through synchronized sheds(i think thats what they are called). I don't know if this will happen for the rest of our lives on the treatment or just during the first 18 months. It sucks though. Just when you think you are making progress, you get hit with a shed.
    I'd just like to echo this.

I've been on fin since Feb. Shedding came in waves over the first 6-7 months and now I'm hardly shedding anything. I'm below baseline ever so slightly (I think) but suspect I'd be in a much worse position had I not started fin. Lots of hairs sprouting up -- very exciting.

Also, I added minox 2 months or so ago which prompted another shed, but again, I feel like I'm doing the right thing.

If you have the $$ and patience, I'd say add minox to the mix. Know it's a lifetime commitment, but if you're as troubled by hairloss as I was, it'll become a bit of a no-brainer once you're teetering on NW3.

Good luck, man. Try not to worry and make sure you're focus is on life and not hair loss.

Thanks guys... I am going to start Minox but thought id wait till after my brothers wedding. Last thing I need now is more shedding.

I was thinking about doing the minox but I wish I could get it wholesale or cheaper somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    I was thinking about doing the minox but I wish I could get it wholesale or cheaper somewhere.
    I use kirkland minox from amazon, $50/year for liquid. I also get kirkland foam for $50/6 months supply, not too expensive. Where are you from Drybone? It sucks you cant get your hands on this stuff for cheap. Even rogaine is pretty affordable. Double the price of generic, but still not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I use kirkland minox from amazon, $50/year for liquid. I also get kirkland foam for $50/6 months supply, not too expensive. Where are you from Drybone? It sucks you cant get your hands on this stuff for cheap. Even rogaine is pretty affordable. Double the price of generic, but still not too bad.
    Florida.

Sweet I am looking at it now. The 5% solution is the same as Rogaine? Just generic?