+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I am Bald.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Giving up is not my thing. I fight everything and argue against everything I think is wrong for as long as i'm alive. Quitting is not my thing but if it really makes your life better to just quit on hair loss then good for you. I just don't have the quitter mentality, and that's no offense to any one who does actually give in. I've been going through MPB for a decade, and AA since 22 years old, basically my body is just forcing me to give up on it and shave it all off but I won't do that.
    I like this post. I cannot stand people who say things like "accept it", "adapt to it" (like I'm some f****n animal or something), or "you need to learn to cope with it". I've always lived by the motto "refuse to accept" because some things in life are unacceptable, make a person miserable, and should not be accepted. I used to know this female bartender who had a tattoo of that asinine Serenity Prayer. Ya know, the one that says "accept the things I cannot change". What a crock of s**t! I highly doubt that she would simply accept it if she was losing her hair.

That being said, I do respect Exodus's attitude and it's a path that I may eventually have to take. And if I do take this path, it will not be because I have accepted hair loss or because I no longer care about whether I have hair or not. It will be because I would rather shave my head than opt for today's limited and relatively ineffective treatment options. Finasteride is giving me side effects, minoxidil didn't do a damn thing for me, and like the vast majority of hair loss sufferers, I am not about to get a hair transplant or a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I like this post. I cannot stand people who say things like "accept it", "adapt to it" (like I'm some f****n animal or something), or "you need to learn to cope with it". I've always lived by the motto "refuse to accept" because some things in life are unacceptable, make a person miserable, and should not be accepted. I used to know this female bartender who had a tattoo of that asinine Serenity Prayer. Ya know, the one that says "accept the things I cannot change". What a crock of s**t! I highly doubt that she would simply accept it if she was losing her hair.

That being said, I do respect Exodus's attitude and it's a path that I may eventually have to take. And if I do take this path, it will not be because I have accepted hair loss or because I no longer care about whether I have hair or not. It will be because I would rather shave my head than opt for today's limited and relatively ineffective treatment options. Finasteride is giving me side effects, minoxidil didn't do a damn thing for me, and like the vast majority of hair loss sufferers, I am not about to get a hair transplant or a wig.
    DPH typically in the past you and I have had contrasting views, but your last paragraph has earned you my respect. I have no cash for a HT (heck my balding would look rubbish with a HT) and I took advice from a poster who said just keep buzzing it, it has worked for me in that I really couldn't care less about it! x

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Young girls in their late teens and early 20's are turned on by balding men, they just wont admit it.
    This. My heart goes out to anyone balding in the teens to 22 range. Especially if you're in college. Shit is ****ed up.

The switch seems to flip at 25 though, that's when I started noticing about a third of the people my age in real life and on social media in all different stages of hair loss. I didn't notice my crown thinning until around 23/24 and soon after hopped on finasteride. People love to hate on it but it saved my ****ing hair. That's why it kind of pisses me off when there a people who have never taken it scaring others from ever giving it a shot. Thus losing hair they could have saved until better treatments come out.

Baldness has its own benefits. No need to go to the barber, no need to dye hair (if hair is gray), no need to shampoo and dry hair after bathing. So you see, it can save you some money and time.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capitan View Post
    Going bald when you're married is hard but going bald when you're young and single is a whole other game.

Exodus, how tall are you?

Don't lie man!
    Some men really don't mind being bald. My brother for instance just shaves his head. I wonder what it is that makes some men hate baldness so much? I dreaded the thought of losing my hair even when I was very young.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Baldness has its own benefits. No need to go to the barber, no need to dye hair (if hair is gray), no need to shampoo and dry hair after bathing. So you see, it can save you some money and time.
    you dont go completely bald it means youll have to shave your head yourself which is even harder than going to a hairstylist.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    More than a year ago I posted on here in fear and in desperation over losing my hair. It ruined my life and sapped all confidence I had. I checked this site over and over again, in some vain hope that Finasteride or Minoxidil would cure me.

One year on I am happy to say I never took that route. I will be bald and I can't change that. So far I rarely visit here and I can safely say I have led a hair worry free life!

My love life or sex life has not even been affected, if anything I've had more success now than I did with hair. I now buzz my head Grade 0 and I work out, all the motivation I need.
    The look can suit some people. Must be nice to move on in life, good for you

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Head shaving is certainly not as easy as non-balding people like to think it is.
    So when people say - 'just shave it', they arn't really thinking about what is involved.

It might save some money in the long term, but I don't think it saves time - it may even take up more time.

So let's say you choose to buzz your hair, it would make sense to buy some decent hair clippers, cos you're going to be buzzing it a lot. You don't want cheap clippers that will break. Some hair salon grade professional clippers will cost you more than you would spend in a year going to a hairdresser/barber.

I know a few people who buzz or shave their head. I'm told if your buzzing it down with clippers, you need to do it once a week to stay on top of it. So there is some commitment needed there to do this every week for the rest of your life. Otherwise the random bits will grow back of course. Actual shaving probably needs to be done more often, say every few days.

Then you'll need to learn how to view you head from all angles while cutting, so you don't miss any bits. After several goes at doing it, at a guess maybe with some experience it will take about 10 mins to buzz it with clippers?

Whereas going to the hairdresser only takes about 1 hour, say every 2 months. Or less if you felt like growing it a bit.

10 mins x 8 (8 weeks) = 80 mins. 80 mins > 1 hour. More time spent buzzing vs hairdresser. Possibly takes longer if actually shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Head shaving is certainly not as easy as non-balding people like to think it is.
    So when people say - 'just shave it', they arn't really thinking about what is involved.

It might save some money in the long term, but I don't think it saves time - it may even take up more time.

So let's say you choose to buzz your hair, it would make sense to buy some decent hair clippers, cos you're going to be buzzing it a lot. You don't want cheap clippers that will break. Some hair salon grade professional clippers will cost you more than you would spend in a year going to a hairdresser/barber.

I know a few people who buzz or shave their head. I'm told if your buzzing it down with clippers, you need to do it once a week to stay on top of it. So there is some commitment needed there to do this every week for the rest of your life. Otherwise the random bits will grow back of course. Actual shaving probably needs to be done more often, say every few days.

Then you'll need to learn how to view you head from all angles while cutting, so you don't miss any bits. After several goes at doing it, at a guess maybe with some experience it will take about 10 mins to buzz it with clippers?

Whereas going to the hairdresser only takes about 1 hour, say every 2 months. Or less if you felt like growing it a bit.

10 mins x 8 (8 weeks) = 80 mins. 80 mins > 1 hour. More time spent buzzing vs hairdresser. Possibly takes longer if actually shaving.
    From experience buzzing my head 3-4 times a week to a zero and try to keep it that way, this post is all 100% true.

When I used to have a good amount of hair, I used to just use my hands to just pat it down and go outside, no time wasted at all, barber once a month. I had very soft hair, there was no need for a comb. Now things changed, I have to shave EOD in the week. Definitely more time spent on my follicly challenged head now than when I had a full head of hair, both hands-on and my mind is always on it. There's no denying that for me. I can't wait for that day to come to an end. I know some of you guys have to buzz less frequently, but you see my problem is, I have alopecia areata too, so once my hair grows for 2 days, you see all the ugly patches over my head. A zero guard minimizes the appearance of the AA a little bit. So this is why I shave every other day. Hopefully by this time next year, this will be a thing of the past.