+ Reply to Thread

Default Continuous shed on fin lasting over a year

I was using fin with great results for seven months when the burning/itching began. Unfortunately for myself, a severe shed began concurrently with the itching and has not stopped for over a year (19 months on fin total). I have tried everything inlcuding fin, dut, RU, biotin, nizoral, fish oil, maxihair, curcuramin, resveratrol, etc. and nothing has stopped it. I recently ceased all fin usage as I the intense shedding lasted over a year. I saw a derm back in march and she took a biopsy, it seems I am developing scar tissue. If you have this type of reaction on fin, try stopping it earlier to see if the itch goes away, i believe the itching is the bodies inflammatory response to the destruction of our hair follicles.

Not sure why the drug stopped working for me, my best guess is that my follicles became sensitive to testosterrone or there was a severe increase in androgen receptors.

My most recent labs right before stopping fin were:
    DHT: 20.8 ref: 106-719
    Estradiol: 35 ref: 35-42
    Test.: 494.5 ref: 249-836

I never documented loss w/pics but my story and hair is the exact same as alex82 in this link http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9345

Just a question..

Why do people get DHT measured?
    My doctor clearly explained to me that because the DHT absorbed in the scalp is destroying follicles, and not the DHT that is currently in the blood stream, it doesn't exactly matter what your blood DHT levels are.
    I know obviously the DHT will be in your blood stream, and rationally speaking it makes sense that if you have a higher DHT level then your hair will probably be falling out, but genetically what causes loss is not the levels of DHT but the sensitivity of DHT in your follicles.
    I mean, theoretically couldn't someone have a billion DHT and a full head of hair if they inherited hair made of stone?

Eh, kind of a random post I guess.

Jesus, I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Terrifying story.

it is not about how much dht you have but about how sensitive your hair is from dht.
    remember that finasteride will not protect your hair 100% and one day you will loose the battle against PMB. keep using it to delay being bald because no one knows maybe something stronger will come to the market. good luck

This thread is not an attempt to scare anyone from refraining from fin use. I know my results are somewhat atypical and that the VAST majority have much more postive results. That said, for those of you who do experience a sudden late (after 5-12 months) shed with scalp inflammation, take care and assess your situation. Many people posted that my shed was "normal" so I stuck it out. Many people disregard the claim that finasteride can indeed accelerate hairloss but for those of us that have experienced it we know that it is true. My DHT is rock bottom and yet the hair continues to drop for well over a year now, if anyone else experienced this and got it to stop, please respond with how you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by baldybald View Post
    it is not about how much dht you have but about how sensitive your hair is from dht.
    remember that finasteride will not protect your hair 100% and one day you will loose the battle against PMB. keep using it to delay being bald because no one knows maybe something stronger will come to the market. good luck

good post. Its all we have at the moment.

~Please delete*