+ Reply to Thread

Default 20 years old, receding and diffuse thinning

So I noticed I was starting to recede last year at Christmas. My hair was still pretty thick and I had noticed a lot of hair in the drain but thought nothing of it. It was starting to get pretty long and one of my cousins pointed out to me that I am starting to bald. As everyone usually does, I just denied it. That night I went home and looked in the mirror....I was balding. I instantly looked back at pictures from a year ago to compare. 3 months earlier I had no hair loss yet and you couldn't tell at all. It hit me like a rock. The next day I went to walmart and bought rogaine. Everything was going good for 3 or 4 months and then I got lazy and stopped applying it. I started back up at the end of June and it has slowly got worse. I have a TON of miniaturized hairs on both temples. They were pretty tiny when i first started rogaine but now they are about a inch or 2 long and blonde still. I can tell that its starting to go further back because my hairs at the very peak of my temples are starting to get blondish and shorter then the rest. Everything has accelerated very quickly the past few months. I have been on propecia 1mg every day for the past week. I am also taking Xtend Life multivitamins for men and fish oil. I still have enough hair right now that I can get away with looking like I have no hair loss but the top of my head is very thin compared to the rest. You can really tell when i get out of the shower. You can see right through my hair to my scalp. I do have a bunch of blonde hairs still all over my scalp. I can see that they are just starting to miniaturize. Do you think that the hair on my temples will come back thick and my normal hair color?? The hairs are responding decent to the rogaine and growing longer just want them thick again.

A little background on my family history. My dad had aggressive hair loss very young. He told me that he lost most of his hair by 23. All of his brothers and sisters are either bald or very thin on top. My mom's side has pretty thick hair. My mom's dad was maybe a NW 2 when he died and her one brother is receding a little but he's in his 40's. I'm guessing I'm just more like my father(considering i look exactly like him when he was younger). I'm hoping I caught this early enough but I'm worried that it might be too late...any help??

The only thing I can recommend is just to stick with the treatments. Be consistent and be patient. It is easier said than done. I am 5 months in and sometimes I get frustrated with the lack of growth. I keep having to remind myself to give it time to work. I will have my good days where I can see plenty of regrowth and other days when my head looks like crap. Just stick with it.

Did I read correctly that you were taking Extenze? Is that the male enhancement supplement? Does it work?

NOOOOOO. LOL. XTEND LIFE multivitamins. They are all natural extremely healthy multivitamins that are from Australia. They are amazing. I have never felt better since I started taking them. I'm definitely not lacking anything in that department so there is no need for extenze. HAHA. If I was taking something like that I'm sure I would be bald by now. It's crazy how fast my hair has been thinning. Thank you for the reply though!!! I will stick with the treatment and will post some pictures tomorrow for baseline. Honestly you can't see how terrible it is in pictures yet. I might just be freaking out too much. I just can't imagine being bald (NW 6) like my dad at age 23 or 24. He is 69 now and he made the comment yesterday that he doesn't even remember what it was like with hair because it has been so long. I don't want that.

Compared to a lot of people on this site I have a lot of hair but I also see a bunch of people that have extremely thick hair but are just receding. I have thinning in the shape of NW 6 so it really sucks. When it dries you can't tell that my hair is that bad but when it's wet I hate to look in the mirror. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by malcook13 View Post
    Compared to a lot of people on this site I have a lot of hair but I also see a bunch of people that have extremely thick hair but are just receding. I have thinning in the shape of NW 6 so it really sucks. When it dries you can't tell that my hair is that bad but when it's wet I hate to look in the mirror. Is this normal?
    I have the same problem. For me, as my loss has progressed further my hair looks worse dry vs wet.