+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Body hair transplants do work?

Dr. Yates and Dr. Cole say they both do! So does Dr. Umar!

Then, why is Spencer so hesitant....He must know something.[False content removed]

[Misleading content removed] it makes no sense....
    Last edited by Winston; 10-13-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    Dr. Yates and Dr. Cole say they both do! So does Dr. Umar!

Then, why is Spencer so hesitant....He must know something.[False content removed]

[Misleading content removed] it makes no sense....
    Dr. Cole and I'm sure Dr. Yates are "hesitant" as well. Body hair works about 50% of the time and about 50% of those that got growth are pleased with their result. Body hair (chest hair) is used when there is no other option. A small test session is highly recommended to evaluate growth. Beard hair is better than chest hair. Dr. Cole gets about a 90% yield with beard hair. IMO, men in the higher Norwood range can benefit from beard hair when it's carefully blended with transplanted scalp hair.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.

The plain truth of BH is that it is unpredictable period.

This is why doing smaller test sessions are critical before ever considering a larger session. And it should only be considered as a last donor source!

You can also PM Spencer directly and ask him what his opinion is.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

BHT is great when it is all you have left in your donor area and when it works. The problem is that it often does not work. The only real solution is to try it, see how you like it, and then do more if you are satisfied. By trying it, i'm referring to a test session.

Beard hair works best.

Other forms of body hair work in about 25% of the cases. That means they fail in about 75% of cases.

Here is one more thing to consider. Bad work, and by this I'm referring to work that leaves you with scars, pitting, and ridging can sometimes poison the scalp. This can prohibit graft growth going forward. Here is an example. Today a patient returned to me for more body hair. We transferred beard about one year ago. His beard hair in his strip scars worked great. His beard hair on the top of the head worked, but i thought the yield was much lower than I hoped for. Why was the yield on top not as good as the strip scars. The older, large grafts poisoned the scalp. This time, we added PRP and Acell to the top and we hope this improves the yield. Often times, it can improve body hair yield.

Do head hair first. When you tap out, do a test to see if you like your BHT results.

Please note that some physicians over state their BHT results. They are not as good as they claim. Be extremely cautious with BHT. However, when you have nothing left and you want more hair, it's a good solution.

Dr Cole

"Other forms of body hair work in about 25% of the cases. That means they fail in about 75% of cases."

What do you think why there are not many people complaining about it, 75% is not a small number, I know you will find a few shills talking in favor of bht but not many, if any come out and complains about poor work, not on massage boards anyway.

Some of these so called experts in BHT have showcases which look downright bizarre, anything but natural, its more like 'an old toothbrush' look

BHT can work wonders when it works, but unfortunately, it does not work at all about 50% of the time. About 25% of the time it works well, but it grows in so much finer than it was on the body that you really need magnification to see it. That means it works well in about 25% of the cases.

I'm not sure why more don't complain about it. I think it's human nature to just not complain at times. Then i know one physician who was getting some poor growth and leaving scars on people from BHT, but he was threatening patients with litigation if they spoke out against him. Recently, one of his patients posted some very awful results from head hair, but his patients (more like thugs than Shills) attacked him online as did the doctor. It was clearly a terrible result, but he was made out to be the bad guy.

i think that if you present BHT as it really is, there should not be many complaints. We all want to help people that have no donor area left so the only option at times is body hair. If you offer a small session and it does not grow, i don't think you have much to complain about. By the way, i learned the hard way about doing big sessions. I used to offer big sessions, but always told patients it might not grow. I stopped because it is simply too heartbreaking for a patient to go through a large procedure only to have poor growth.

also, recognize that most patients who wind up getting body hair are also quite often repair cases trying to conceal scars, plugs or flaps so anything they can get that is in the positive direction is better than where the started.

The reason that more patients do not come forward publicly to show their respective BHT results is because of the shame and embarrassment.

They not only have a failed procedure to deal with but then to throw it all over the internet?! Not many if any that want to do that. A few get soooo angry that they come on the forums with a high level of anger and distrust. It's sad because some of them lose all objectivity and distrust anything told them afterwards. Many of them were lied to or promised pie in the sky only to fall off the emotional cliff. Understood. Definitely impacts the psyche of the hair loss sufferer. Many of them never post and never will.

As Dr. Cole pointed out, many of these BH cases are repair and many are desperate for improvement and to just move on with their lives. But these cases many times are complex and may very well involve a very methodically arranged repair approach which can involve BH because of their lack of donor supply.

If the patient has an ample supply of beard donor, the chances for regrowth are much better than rolling the dice with a 75% chance of gaining nothing.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

The real crime with that patient with the very poorly planned procedure is not that he was attacked by patients of that very same clinic. The real crime is that the thread was closed and a forum moderator feels very comfortable recommending that same doctor to another potential patient asking about body hair. That in my opinion is not only despicable but it is [Possible defamatory comments removed.]
    Last edited by Winston; 10-17-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

Topcat, reach out to me when you get a chance.[Personal contact information removed]
    Last edited by Winston; 10-17-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

What is the name of doctor? IAHRS member?