+ Reply to Thread

Default 13 Months Off Propecia after 4 years

Hi,

So, it is officially 13 months off of Propecia after being on the medication for 4 years 1mg/day every day.

Today

The biggest horror for me after coming off propecia was the feeling that within a year I'd basically be bald. That has not been the case. My hair has thinned a lot and worse than that the remaining hair is of poor quality. For example, I can no longer grow my hair as long due to its poorer quality and it is much harder to style. After 6 months after coming off propecia I started twice a day 5% rogaine and that has helped. To date I haven't had a single person comment on the difference in my hair (and I have friends that would) but that day is not too far off.

There are still days where I long to be back on fin. I miss being able to grow my hair long, I miss being able to style it, I miss passing my hand through all the thick hair. And I definitely felt more attractive overall. It sounds weird but I wish I was more appreciative of what the medication was able to do for me while I was on it.

I came off it just because I was becoming more considered about possible long term sides. I will say that after coming off it I felt a rise in libido and sexual energy and also the return of morning erections. I had not noticed this when I went on fin originally but coming off I could feel the change.

I don't take any medication and have not for a very long time (outside when I was on fin) so I don't want to be ingesting anything unhealthy in my body and yet I wish I didn't have to lose my hair.

Damn, you gave up your hair!? You are a better man than me.

better man is a very strong couple of words. I basically spent the first 6 months crying like a little school girl. Definitely has been hard emotionally but getting stronger with each day. Like I mentioned I still do minox 5%, nizoral and am fairly healthy in general.

honestly, if the side effect were that I'd lost a finger or small toe I'd be swallowing the pill daily but just freaks me out with the potential sexual sides. It'd suck to have hair but no engine down below.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    better man is a very strong couple of words. I basically spent the first 6 months crying like a little school girl. Definitely has been hard emotionally but getting stronger with each day. Like I mentioned I still do minox 5%, nizoral and am fairly healthy in general.

honestly, if the side effect were that I'd lost a finger or small toe I'd be swallowing the pill daily but just freaks me out with the potential sexual sides. It'd suck to have hair but no engine down below.
    Considering the sides you experienced, I'd say you made the wisest decision of your life quitting. I'm actually surprised after 4 years on the drug your libido actually returned along with your morning wood. I've heard horror stories in that regard.

It was slow coming back to normal for me, but eventually I did. My hair thinned since quitting but I've never felt better since quitting. My sexual, physical, and mental well-being are the only things I would not sacrifice for hair...and my hair means the world to me.

Did you ever experience side effects or just wanted to make sure you didn't end up experience them after long term use?

Just wanted to add that I had a similar thing after I quit Fin, never noticed libido waning while starting, guess it just happened that gradually. But now that I've been off it almost a year I can definitely say my libido is greater now. On the drug I never had that primal "urge" so to speak where you almost just need to rub against something and that sexual frustration that lingers throughout the day if you don't deal with it. It was very mechanical, just "yes, that is attractive, I am aroused because that is attractive".

I think more people's libido's are affected than they realize. It just happens so very gradually that it's hard to notice the change. Where as once you quit it's easy to notice the return since it happens quicker.

So the medication worked and you had minimal or no side effects for four years?