DHT reduction by fin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Np buddy happy to see you are taking all the right steps to attack your hairloss.

Since the DHT tests sensitivity limit is so high, another better indicator of fin/dut working may be your Free Testosterone results. Did you get Free T tested? Did it go up? It should go up in the 5-12% range.

I was on fin for a year and didn't feel like it was doing much. Once I started dut my facial hair growth started reducing pretty fast and I knew that was a good sign. 3+ Years now and my hairloss is stable.

''The PCPT trial reported that finasteride treatment in men followed over seven years resulted in a significant decrease in the overall rates of prostate cancer, but also in a significant increase in the rates of high-grade prostate tumors (Thompson et al. 2003). This unexpected finding of an increase in high grade prostate cancer rate in the PCPT may, at least partially, be explained by the presence of specific SRD5A2 variants (like A49T) in a subset of the study population that are not efficiently inhibited by finasteride. For individuals carrying the A49T allele, dutasteride might have been a better choice (Table 2⇑ versus Table 1⇑). Thus, future trials such as the PCPT and treatment protocols using 5α-reductase inhibitors should consider genotyping men for SRD5A2 variants. In fact, we note that the pharmacogenetic inhibition increases for finasteride with time (Table 1⇑) while it decreases for dutasteride (Table 2⇑). This may suggest that dutasteride has a ‘tighter’ range for allelic and somatic variants, which may lessen the still considerable impact of pharmacogenetic variation in vitro. Thus, this compound may be generally better tolerated in vivo as well.''

This was the original study I read wrt to fin/dut and genotyopes ---->http://jme.endocrinology-journals.or.../34/3/617.full

I emailed the authors of it and they told me that the DHT tests are not reliable and that dut will work regardless of genotype while fin does not work well for everybody.

Comment

• IrishMarshmallow
      • May 2017

Thanks for the link and the specific research you made.

Have you tested your DHT levels after switching to dut? Were they any different than when you were on fin?

And no, I didn't test for free T, but I did have ~7% T increase in two months.

Originally posted by Dan26
      Np buddy happy to see you are taking all the right steps to attack your hairloss.

Since the DHT tests sensitivity limit is so high, another better indicator of fin/dut working may be your Free Testosterone results. Did you get Free T tested? Did it go up? It should go up in the 5-12% range.

I was on fin for a year and didn't feel like it was doing much. Once I started dut my facial hair growth started reducing pretty fast and I knew that was a good sign. 3+ Years now and my hairloss is stable.

''The PCPT trial reported that finasteride treatment in men followed over seven years resulted in a significant decrease in the overall rates of prostate cancer, but also in a significant increase in the rates of high-grade prostate tumors (Thompson et al. 2003). This unexpected finding of an increase in high grade prostate cancer rate in the PCPT may, at least partially, be explained by the presence of specific SRD5A2 variants (like A49T) in a subset of the study population that are not efficiently inhibited by finasteride. For individuals carrying the A49T allele, dutasteride might have been a better choice (Table 2⇑ versus Table 1⇑). Thus, future trials such as the PCPT and treatment protocols using 5α-reductase inhibitors should consider genotyping men for SRD5A2 variants. In fact, we note that the pharmacogenetic inhibition increases for finasteride with time (Table 1⇑) while it decreases for dutasteride (Table 2⇑). This may suggest that dutasteride has a ‘tighter’ range for allelic and somatic variants, which may lessen the still considerable impact of pharmacogenetic variation in vitro. Thus, this compound may be generally better tolerated in vivo as well.''

This was the original study I read wrt to fin/dut and genotyopes ---->http://jme.endocrinology-journals.or.../34/3/617.full

I emailed the authors of it and they told me that the DHT tests are not reliable and that dut will work regardless of genotype while fin does not work well for everybody.

Comment

Working...