Does Regaine actually work? - BaldTruthTalk.com

View Poll Results: For people who have used Rogaine on their hairline what were your results?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Significant regrowth.

3 15.79%
  • Small regrowth.

6 31.58%
  • Remained the same - have maintained baseline

3 15.79%
  • Did not have any effect - still slowly using hair

5 26.32%
  • Made hair loss worse and wish I didn't start it

2 10.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does Regaine actually work?

I have been to the doctor about my hairloss and he is not 100% sure it is mpb. He has given me Dermovate cream to put on my hairline (which is quite receded) for 3 weeks as there's a chance I could have a skin infection/condition. If he cannot see any results after 3 weeks he has suggested that I should consider Regaine. I know that it is almost certainly mpb though as it runs in the family and I do have a classic looking receding hairline.

What I want to know is..

1) Is Regaine effective for a receding hairline? I am about a NW 2.5.

2) How bad is the initial shed? This scares me!

3) How long before I will see results? (If any)

4) Is the foam or the liquid better?

5) I have read certain examples of Regaine actually worsening their condition. Is this a strong possibility? My hairloss has been very slow and gradual. I started receding at 16 and am now 24. I would prefer to be a very slow receder than potentially destroy my hairline.

Thanks

Hey Scottishlad,

1. The product packaging indicates it is only good for the crown. I use it all over the top of my head and I have had some regrowth. Nothing to write home about, but I have been losing hair for many years. If the hair loss is recent for you, you might get better results. I have seen some guys on here with great results on the hair line.

2. It varies. For me I did experience a shed during the 1st month of use. By the 2nd month, the shed had stopped and I had some regrowth. I don't want to scare you, but some sheds are worse than others, and the time to regrow can sometimes be a few months.

3. I saw results within a month. Again, I didn't regrow all my hair, but I definitely had a small improvement. I am about 5 months in and continue to improve. I have heard around here that it may take up to 1.5 years to see how much hair you will actually regrow.

4. I use generic minoxidil. The kirkland brand. I prefer the liquid because it just feels that it is on my head longer since it doesn't dry as fast. I use both though. If I am going out and don't want to appear greasy then I use the foam since it dries quickly. Most of the time, I use the liquid though. I think they are both equally effective though. Maybe somebody knows different...

5. If you stay committed and apply as directed, and CONTINUE to apply, you should be good. Like all treatments though, it may not work for you. Typically it should not make your condition worse. Just remember that you are making a commitment for life once you start. Any gains you get from minox will be lost when you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Hey Scottishlad,

1. The product packaging indicates it is only good for the crown. I use it all over the top of my head and I have had some regrowth. Nothing to write home about, but I have been losing hair for many years. If the hair loss is recent for you, you might get better results. I have seen some guys on here with great results on the hair line.

2. It varies. For me I did experience a shed during the 1st month of use. By the 2nd month, the shed had stopped and I had some regrowth. I don't want to scare you, but some sheds are worse than others, and the time to regrow can sometimes be a few months.

3. I saw results within a month. Again, I didn't regrow all my hair, but I definitely had a small improvement. I am about 5 months in and continue to improve. I have heard around here that it may take up to 1.5 years to see how much hair you will actually regrow.

4. I use generic minoxidil. The kirkland brand. I prefer the liquid because it just feels that it is on my head longer since it doesn't dry as fast. I use both though. If I am going out and don't want to appear greasy then I use the foam since it dries quickly. Most of the time, I use the liquid though. I think they are both equally effective though. Maybe somebody knows different...

5. If you stay committed and apply as directed, and CONTINUE to apply, you should be good. Like all treatments though, it may not work for you. Typically it should not make your condition worse. Just remember that you are making a commitment for life once you start. Any gains you get from minox will be lost when you stop.
    hi notcool, are u using fin or dut too?

You should have put the option for moderate regrowth - cause that is more common. Significant regrowth, slight regrowth and no regrowth are not as common as moderate regrowth. However, if you are expecting full complete regrowth, that is not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishlad View Post
    What I want to know is..

1) Is Regaine effective for a receding hairline?
    For men, Rogaine is most effective in the vertex and mid anterior areas, not the hair line. However some males can regrow some hair that was lost from their hairline. That is not the norm though. For women, Rogaine works all over her scalp, including the hair line.

2) How bad is the initial shed? This scares me!
    It can be different for everyone. If you cannot cope with the shedding associated with treating your hair loss, you should not start treatment for your hair loss.

3) How long before I will see results? (If any)
    It typically takes between four and six months before you will know if Rogaine is working for you. It takes much longer before you will know how well Rogaine is working for you. It can take up to 18 months to see cosmetically significant regrowth.

4) Is the foam or the liquid better?
    The foam is much better because it is more stealthy and easier to use, which is probably why those who use the foam are more compliant and as a result get a better outcome. The most important thing about treating your hair loss is you must be compliant and consistent.

5) I have read certain examples of Regaine actually worsening their condition. Is this a strong possibility?
    These reports are usually coming from young guys who have tried it on their hair line, then they freaked out when the shedding started. They freaked out so badly that they stopped using the medicine abruptly, which is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. If feel you cannot cope with the shedding associated with treating your hair loss, you should not even try to treat your hair loss. Just let nature take its course.

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    hi notcool, are u using fin or dut too?
    Yeah I am using fin, but was using minox alone for about 2 months when I first started treating my hair loss.

Yes Rogaine does really work. However, the sooner you start, the better. The later you start, your chances of seeing any regrowth decreases.

So if you're like NW3-5, like me, and claim Rogaine didn't work for you, that's basically your fault. You started too late.

So don't start too late, on any treatment, whether fin, dut, or minoxidil.

I have these tiny hairs in front of my hairline, possibly where my old hairline was once a time ago. They have been there for ages. Is this the type of hair that Regaine could regrow/make stringer on the hairline?

I've read other forums that say you can ease your body into minoxidil so the shed isn't as severe. So, would it be possible to start using it once a day for a week and slowly moving towards twice a day?

For some reason I can't vote in this, but my vote would be 'Small regrowth', which I observed at the hairline. Perhaps if I started earlier I'd have had an even better result.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    For some reason I can't vote in this, but my vote would be 'Small regrowth', which I observed at the hairline. Perhaps if I started earlier I'd have had an even better result.
    I think I might give it a try as most people seem to have had a positive result. I just fear the initial shed.