+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair transplants and alopecia areata

Any one know if HT's work on areas affected by alopecia areata? would a doctor even see me as a candidate because of me having AA? I have MPB, I think i'm a diffused NW3, maybe a NW4, I don't know. On top of my head, including on the corner of my right temple, I have alopecia areata. I'm currently getting treated with steroid injections but nothing is happening, i've had two injections, going for my third one later this month and so far I see nothing at all, no improvement whatsoever.

Here are some pictures of my ugly head that I took yesterday and today, shaved down to a zero guard. Sorry for the blurriness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131008-01160.jpg

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	23521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131008-01158.jpg

Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	23522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131007-01140.jpg

Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	23523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131008-01168.jpg

Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	23524  

It seems to be plain old MPB to me. Don't be in denial.

^ what he said.

Looks like diffuse NW4 but the NW6 pattern is also visible, especially in last pic which is the clearest (i.e. the initial connection between vertex, anterior and frontal thinning has evidently been made).

Okay that was my fault for taking bad pictures and it's hard to tell because i'm shaved down to a zero. If I let it grow you'll notice the spots more. I've been diagnosed with AA/MPB by two dermatology clinics. I wish I only had one problem, I am not in denial of my MPB. I said i'm like a NW3-4. Here are clearer pictures where you can see the dime sized spots on top of my head, and a spot in the back of my head(where MPB does not attack).

Now please, I do not want to debate on whether I have alopecia areata or not, I have it, that's a fact. I am looking for answers about HT's and AA. Not to be re-diagnosed. Thanks.

Name:	IMG-20131008-01176.jpg

Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	23525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131008-01175.jpg

Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	23526  

The spot in the back of my head was completely hairless 2 months ago, it's been growing back because of injections. It's fairly new though. The others have been there for a while, so they are harder to regrow.

Several months ago, in June of this year. Hair grown out a little bit, you could see the obvious patches, they are the same pictures.

So does any one have any helpful info on this site, or will I have to contact an HT doctor?

Name:	IMG-20130422-06188.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	23541   Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	23542  

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Several months ago, in June of this year. Hair grown out a little bit, you could see the obvious patches, they are the same pictures.

So does any one have any helpful info on this site, or will I have to contact an HT doctor?
    Known helpful treatments for Alopecia Areata are available through a Google search. Here is one example. There aren't any secret cures to be revealed in the forums. If I were in your position, I would first take a careful look at my diet. Search for the poster in the forums known as topcat. I believe he knows more about nutrition than many doctors. My wife changed our family's diet and I eliminated 4 minor medical problems.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thanks. I know what alopecia areata is, who gets it, etc. I have google searched about AA before, that's the first thing I do about anything. I came to the conclusion, with trial and error, that the only thing that works is steroid injections.

Maybe I was not clear in my opening post, I am not looking for some one here to tell me about a cure about AA, or help me get rid of it, I go to the derm for that. Obviously, this is the HT section, I was hoping for some one with AA who had an HT to give me info, or some representative who has seen AA/MPB patients wanting HT's.

My question is, would an HT be pointless on some one who has AA? Would grafts grow on patches of AA. That is all i'm asking. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Thanks. I know what alopecia areata is, who gets it, etc. I have google searched about AA before, that's the first thing I do about anything. I came to the conclusion, with trial and error, that the only thing that works is steroid injections.

Maybe I was not clear in my opening post, I am not looking for some one here to tell me about a cure about AA, or help me get rid of it, I go to the derm for that. Obviously, this is the HT section, I was hoping for some one with AA who had an HT to give me info, or some representative who has seen AA/MPB patients wanting HT's.

My question is, would an HT be pointless on some one who has AA? Would grafts grow on patches of AA. That is all i'm asking. Thanks again.
    Thanks for clarifying. I will ask Dr. Cole what his opinion is in the next few minutes.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I will ask Dr. Cole what his opinion is in the next few minutes.
    Dr. Cole said Alopecia Areata needs to run its course and "burn out". Once it's quiet for about two years he will consider doing a hair transplant.