+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If it were me, I would not be using any minoxidil product. You might notice some positive changes after discontinuing it for at least one year.

But AA is complex as we have discussed and only a licensed physician experienced with this can be of the best help.

My brother had it only in the scalp, not the body. IMHO, there are several forms of AA which can also affect the body regions. Some may diagnose it as AU (alopecia universallys) which is hair loss affecting the entire body. But I doubt that you have that.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

But then if I drop minoxidil, all hairs that were regrown or thickened by minoxidil would fall wouldn't they? So let's say my AA grows back after stopping Rogaine, but then MPB will progress?

Hey Gillenator I know you're not an HT doctor or actually do surgeries, but looking at my hairloss, roughly how many grafts would I need to get cosmetically good results on the hairline? They were taken right now. Obviously i'd need to speak to whatever doctor i'll go with, but i'm asking for a rough estimate. Also, i'm planning on staying on medication after the hypothetical HT, to keep as many native hairs as possible.

No flash and flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131011-01237.jpg

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	23581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131011-01236.jpg

Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	23582  

Well that's the trade-off. If you stop minoxidil, the open spots from AA may fill back in and they may not. You will only know by trying it.

On the other hand, yes, the progression of MPB will cause you to lose the cosmetic gains from the minoxidil.

There are no hard and fast answers. I would not have the procedure quite yet until you can somehow get stabilization from the AA.

Now to answer your last question on graft count, it really will depend on where the commencement of your new hairline would start. Obviously the higher it is situated above the frontallys area, the less grafts will be needed.

And the density level will also have a big impact on the potential overall graft count. Building a new hairline from nothing takes a large amount of single hair grafts as well.

Either way, even with a conservative placed hairline, you are looking at 3,000 grafts or more to start because of the many single hair grafts involved/required.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin