+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Does run its course mean, the patches need to grow back in order to be considered a candidate? Or does he mean he would do it on some one who's had the AA patches there for a long time and didn't get new ones? Mine started last year, I now have 1 year and a half with the same 7-8 patches. I will have 2 years with them, if they are not gone, by early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Does run its course mean, the patches need to grow back in order to be considered a candidate? Or does he mean he would do it on some one who's had the AA patches there for a long time and didn't get new ones? Mine started last year, I now have 1 year and a half with the same 7-8 patches. I will have 2 years with them, if they are not gone, by early next year.

A patch that started forming when I was twenty never came back fully. At this point I would assume it's stabilized even though there's been no further hair regrowth

MPB, is a progressive disorder. This means that genetic hair loss progresses over a lifetime. It never resolves itself in spite of age or even during periods of minor loss. As many of us know, this is why hairloss meds like low dose finasteride can greatly help to buy us time, but nothing more.

This is why I pay more attention to the individual's family history because it is the greatest indicator of potential hair loss in the future in spite of the infrequencies of the progression. I talk with guys who say their loss has subsided on its own, then only to have it resume later.

Some doctors will want to see if the patient responds to the meds beyond 12 months before they will do the procedure. And especially on the younger guys who have advanced classes of loss in their future.

Alopecia Aereata is a different type of loss altogether. Very unpredictable and more common with females. My brother had it related to a very high stressful period he was going through. Later the patches grew back but some of them grew back with white hair, meaning he lost the pigmentation.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hey Gill.

Quick question.

I have been told by several people that our testosterone levels decrease as we age.

By age 65 we dont have enough to convert to DHT that could damage the remaining hair follicles.

What are your thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    MPB, is a progressive disorder. This means that genetic hair loss progresses over a lifetime. It never resolves itself in spite of age or even during periods of minor loss. As many of us know, this is why hairloss meds like low dose finasteride can greatly help to buy us time, but nothing more.

This is why I pay more attention to the individual's family history because it is the greatest indicator of potential hair loss in the future in spite of the infrequencies of the progression. I talk with guys who say their loss has subsided on its own, then only to have it resume later.

Some doctors will want to see if the patient responds to the meds beyond 12 months before they will do the procedure. And especially on the younger guys who have advanced classes of loss in their future.

Alopecia Aereata is a different type of loss altogether. Very unpredictable and more common with females. My brother had it related to a very high stressful period he was going through. Later the patches grew back but some of them grew back with white hair, meaning he lost the pigmentation.
    I've been on fin since about November 2011, before that I was on and off it due to not being able to afford Propecia, which was the only brand I knew and I didn't know about generic drugs at all. I was on dutasteride 0.5mg/day and Rogaine 2x/day foam since March 2013 and had good results by month 3, but in month 4 the alopecia areata came back at full force and I don't know why my hairline suffered so much also. Maybe it was a shed. I stopped dut early September 2013 because Inhouse stopped accepting Master Card, the only card I have.

If I ever get an HT, I will always stay on fin or dut and minoxidil. I am not going to mess around with losing the little native hair I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Hey Gill.

Quick question.

I have been told by several people that our testosterone levels decrease as we age.

By age 65 we dont have enough to convert to DHT that could damage the remaining hair follicles.

What are your thoughts on that?
    Yes, that is true in men and for most, the decrease in production starts after roughly age 30. But it is not a drastic reduction generally speaking and I am not aware of any clinical studies that correlate the decreases in testosterone with a corresponding decrease in the levels of DHT.

We do know that the overabundance of DHT deposits in the liver, bone marrow, and our scalps.

The real dilemma is that most of us men that have MPB lose the majority of what we are destined to lose by the age of 65, meaning, any decrease in loss may not be visually significant to benefit from.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thats Gill

Good answer

PW,

I have heard from some guys that experienced shedding from dutasteride with several of these men stopping the use because of this.

Yet everyone responds differently from these various hairloss meds. So stick with what seems to work for you under the supervision of a licensed physician of course.

Some guys experience this type of shedding from the "initial use" of some of these hair loss meds as well.

Every now and then I read about some who start these meds immediately after surgery and experience a massive shedding and/or their regrowth is negatively impacted.

So some docs want their male patients to be on finasteride well ahead of their procedures not only to see how they respond but also to note any initial shedding that can be induced by finasteride, minoxidil, and the like.

And I also recommend that anyone experiencing a substantial shedding cycle to wait for it to subside before having their procedure.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

PW,

I should have also mentioned that I have heard from several men and women over the years who experienced this type of "patchy hair loss pattern" from using minoxidil.

AA is a different type of hair loss and not much is understood about its cause and effect as well as treating it.

I wish you the best of resolve my friend.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Thanks.

That's strange. The AA on my head did started at 22 years old, when I first started using Kirkland's minoxidil. I had actually suspected minoxidil started it, but didn't want to bring that up because I thought it was crazy.

However, I also have a patch in the back of my head, as well as tiny spots across my mustache area, and one patch in my beard area. Also, for as long as i've had leg hair, which was at 13-14 years old that it started growing, i've always had Alopecia Areata on my legs, if it's not AA, then IDK what it is but my legs barely have hair, and it only has a few patches of hair. They've always been like that. Through high school, like gym class, i've always been asked why my hair is like that. I had no idea why. But seeing me getting AA on my head and face, now I think it has always just been AA that I was probably born with, and got worse with environment, stress, diet, etc.